main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: Ben/Jysella
    I came to love the idea of them way back when the Ben Skywalker Discussion thread was really active and we were doing monthly challenges. One of the challenges was to do a romantic pairing with Ben (at any age) and a canon character. This spawned a huge discussion about who would be closest to his age and at the time we had no idea how old Jysella was, we knew she was older but the guess was closer than they ended up being. Her first appearance was in the book where Ben was born and she seemed pretty young.

So for me, the more I thought about it, the more I loved the child of Luke and Mara marring the child of Corran and Mirax. The thought of the four of them being tied together through their children (and possible grandchildren). Quite a few people wrote Ben/Jys stories for that challenge, I think I'm the only person still around, though. A ship doesn't always have to be people that interacted a lot, we liked the idea of it so we wrote it and I came to love it.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I guess back then (back when all the character discussion threads were active), Jysella would be one of the few cannon characters remotely within Ben's age range, with the addition of Syal and Myri Antilles, and Seha Dorvald. Which would have made for an interesting challenge.

Anyways, I came across this on Facebook and I thought it was appropriate for many of our OTPs.
    [​IMG]
    Also, I had a few hours with no work to do (whaaaaat?) so I started something for the challenge. I have no idea what I am doing because I've never used these characters, and I think I may be breaking the spirit of the challenge, but it's still fun. IDK if I'll end up finishing it.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, I know what I'm doing with this, Three Days of the Toucan, a variation on Three Days of the Condor, but having one more choice added to my chaotic confusion of which item to start writing right now, is not appreciated.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What do y'all think of some of these unconventional shipping ideas floating in my head?

Jag/Tahiri
    Ben/Taryn Zel
    Zekk/Tenel Ka
    Lando/Mara(gasp!)
    Cade/Celeste Morne
    Cade/Azlyn Rae

Jacen/Alema Rar
    Anakin/Alema Rar
    Jag/Tenel Ka
    Zekk/Tenel Ka

Are any of these interesting or would they "click". What d'y'a think?

5. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    I told myself that I'm not allowed to talk to my friends or do anything fun online before I'm done with some overdue work, but my date-obsessed alter ego likes deadlines and calendars in general as much as I don't. So, I'm going to update this and then make myself complete the work by midnight, effectively creating another persona, a web development Cinderella type. Caffeine, yeah! Again.

Discussion #4 - To Search or not to Search

Let's face it, some beings kriff around and they have been around the local cantinas a lot. Some others may be serial monogamists, or polygamists, depending on what their species fancies and what is allowed and acceptable in their society...or not. :p Some may be saving themselves for their one true love - whether that refers to a chastity concept similar to the one many religions on Earth practice, or general lack of emotional involvement. There's a whole spectrum out there and things that work for one being may or may not work for the other!

So, how does your character approach relationships? Do they believe in "one true love" (or multiple true loves)? Do they have to be in a relationship in order to feel complete? Are they aromantic with an exception? Or are they the type who takes everything that comes their way, sleeps around and has "fun"? How did this impact the eventual pairing? This is a pretty broad topic and you can cover your favourite characters from any fandom or continuity, or your original characters. Go on and interpret it any way you like.

If you're new and would like to give your two cents on any of the previous topics, the list is here.

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Interesting.... very interesting. I too shall disregard the enormous pile of work that I have to do to discuss this far more important and pressing issue. Caffeine! Caffeine! Yessss!

My canon OTP, Luke & Mara. I think Luke really believes in One True Love. I can't see him being casually involved with anyone. I don't think he saved himself for marriage but I don't think he would be intimate physically without first being intimate emotionally with someone. He feels things very deeply and each relationship that broke up seemed to break his heart a bit. Mara, on the other hand, I could see being more casual, especially in her days when she was wandering and hadn't really settled with Talon Karrde's group. She was emotionally closed off; she was hurting and I don't think she would have allowed herself to feel anything deep for anyone. I think she either had a casual no-strings-attached kind of deal or she didn't bother with anything at all. It wasn't until she was older and more settled with herself that she allowed that type of vulnerability, and with her willingness to be open emotionally came a corresponding willingness to commit herself to one man.

As for her relationship with Luke, Mara wouldn't cheat on him. Once she makes her commitment it's for life.

My OC OTP - well, Breha Solo only can deal with one man at a time. If she's going to make the effort to be in a relationship, then she's going to go all in. She wouldn't date two guys at once; if she was interested in someone she would only follow up if she was already single. As for Blue, he never expected to be in a relationship in the first place, so he was so grateful for (and a little disbelieving of) the attention from Breha that cheating on her never crossed his mind. When he was younger, though, in college, he never committed to any one girl and would have more than one lady friend at a time because he never made an emotional connection to them. That wasn't necessarily promiscuity on his part but a fear that he would actually feel something for someone. It was easier to "play the field" and run loose than to admit that he was lonely and wanted someone to be there for him. Blue's fear of making himself emotionally vulnerable made it hard for him to believe that Breha actually cared about him.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I may or may not be procrastinating getting a short assignment done so that it doesn't fall though the cracks of hell week. (Okay, let's be honest, I am totally ignoring copious amounts of work as well, because fanfic always takes priority.)

I agree with divapilot in regards of Luke and Mara. Luke was just so loving to everyone he got emotionally involved with. While I don't think he was one of those "I'm not complete without a partner" types, he loved loving people. I don't think Luke saved himself for marriage - I think in one of the Calista books they are sharing a hotel room, so while not explicit - intimate relations were strongly implied. I think he thought every serious relationship he had WAS THE ONE, but he knew with Mara.

I can't see Mara really involved with anyone before Luke. Not out of any sense of celibacy, she was just so emotionally detached and did not desire being connected to anyone.

So I think out of that, they were very devoted to each other, even after death. After Mara died, I honestly couldn't see Luke dating or being intimate with anyone (okay, a select few people who have read the Wedge fic can now call me a hypocrite, BUT THAT WAS ALL THANKS TO THE MOVE AND Jedi_Lover) - I know the L/Mers are kinda split on this, and I think that's okay. I think Luke would have died staying faithful to Mara, but I can, and will read Luke/someone after Mara, I just can't write it (... unless it's Wedge apparently?).

How this will impact any NU-Canon Luke relationships, we will see.

ANYWAYS.

BAIL AND BREHA! I had established that Bail was a bit (a lot) of a casual dater before Breha (the number was 18 sexual partners, and I purposefully avoided any gender-specific terms in the conversations about Bail's history). He was the rebellious prince. I do think Bail believed in his "one true love", he just didn't think he would ever get to marry her before Breha came along.

And Breha didn't believe in the one true love thing. But she did wait till her Alderaani first night (bit of Fannon background: in Alderaani culture, engaged couples would sleep together once before they got married).

Though both were monogamous in their marriage, even though, as royalty, they could have had other partners and it would have been acceptable.

I'd cover more of my OTPs, but I've blabbed long enough. Back to work!

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My canon OTP, Teebo and Latara, are complicated. From the "outside" perspective, they're the first couple introduced on the Star Wars TV shows and they seem to have a lot in common - for one, they're both interested in arts, quite good with dancing and they may strike a stranger as "dreamy"; but at the same time, they couldn't be more different. Latara is hot-blooded, a show-off and quite snarky; while Teebo is withdrawn, has almost endless patience and focused on his studies of wizardry, especially watching the stars.

Until she's absolutely sure that there is nobody else for her, Latara is open to relationships with pretty much anybody, provided that the being has assets (there was a point she flirted with Wicket because he had some expensive monmon seeds...and yeah, he was most certainly underage in all possible ways), power or both. She often dreamed of princes from other villages, partly influenced by her father's view that she needed to marry a prince just because she was beautiful. She wanted much older Ewoks to invite her to the Shadownight Festival. None of this ever worked out - she was too young for most of the Ewoks she was interested in and

When it comes to physical intimacy, Latara initially refused to believe that an emotional aspect of it is important, while Teebo won't have one without the other and his thoughts on what emotional intimacy is are very complex and influenced by his Force-sensitivity. Neither of them thinks that they need to be married to be intimate, but they're stubborn in their views and this will be a source of minor conflict for a while.

The following is a spoiler for The Other Moon, since I know that a couple of people are anything from one to five chapters behind.

Once they are in a different village, the situation turns bizarre: Teebo is adored by pretty much every single female Ewok around due to his resemblance with the tribe's deceased leader and he gets a lot of unwanted attention because the said leader was into polygamy. Latara, on the other hand, is not considered beautiful by the village's standards and, unlike the more demure Kneesaa, she is seen as "a woman who needs to be put in her place". She is frustrated by both the lack of attention and the amount of attention her boyfriend receives. She may or may not have to see things from a different perspective and he may or may not be tempted at some point - judge for yourselves.

Anjie Mencuri is a strange one. Growing up as an exceptionally handsome being (half-Hapan and half-Naboo), he initially didn't get why so many girls would be into a loner obsessed with music and his attempts at relationships were the kind of things that boys would brag about, but men would be ashamed of.

The moment Anjie met his partner in crime, the singer Antonio Nokaarbe, he is initially uncomfortable with the exploits all of Steamy Wasaka Stew are notorious for, but he soon starts going on "hunts" with his much older "mentor". Just like many musicians, he likes having girls around for the sake of inflating his ego and he sees them as disposable. Add the fact that he is still underage on many planets. By the time he was twenty, he had tried everything.

This changes when Anjie is introduced to slightly older performance artist, Madelle "Mady" Griasmaa. At this point, he discovered that he is, indeed, a monogamist; and the kind of a person who is not comfortable with physical intimacy without the emotional aspect - whaaaatever that may mean in his case. The hunts with Antonio are a thing of past, but since Anjie is a person of extremes, one of his major personality flaws will peek through: he needs somebody to depend on and he is one of those types who need a lover, sister, personal assistant and whatnot in one. There will, unfortunately, be another thing he will bond over with his girlfriend and it should be obvious what it is from what I have written so far.

In future, once he re-emerges, Anjie will have to learn that dependency is not healthy, that some real-life skills are a good thing in general and that he should not be afraid of women who would call him out on his behaviour. I can't say what will happen next, let's say that the relationship will be pretty odd.

Can't spoil The Black Star, my PT-era and Before the Saga stories. Darn. :p

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wait...what? Who wrote the Luke/Wedge story? I sort of remember one Luke/Mara/Wedge story. I don't like writing Luke with anybody else either, but I do remember writing a Luke/Artoo story. And there was that Luke/OC (aka: Mara's clone) story.

So, how does your character approach relationships? Do they believe in "one true love" (or multiple true loves)? Do they have to be in a relationship in order to feel complete? Are they aromantic with an exception? Or are they the type who takes everything that comes their way, sleeps around and has "fun"? How did this impact the eventual pairing? This is a pretty broad topic and you can cover your favourite characters from any fandom or continuity, or your original characters. Go on and interpret it any way you like.

Mark Tantiss has a one true love in Kira Starkos. She is his first, last and only. Mark's son, Talon Tantiss, is a bit of a lady's man, but he doesn't cheat. He is a one woman at a time type of fellow. He fell completely and utterly in love when he was 18 but she dumped him and broke his heart. He then swore off women for a while but then he met a nice college girl. She said up front she didn't want marriage because she was a Zeltron and they are not really into monogamy. When she graduated from college they parted as friends. He went out on a lot of missions and dated a lot of girls but always told the woman that he wasn't interested in a relationship. It wasn't until he met up with an old childhood friend (Karrke's daughter) that he once again fell in love and this time it worked out for him. So he was a player, but an honest one. He never cheated on a woman he dated, he just dated a lot of women over the years.

With Talon, his relationship with Zylie was stalled at first because she was the daughter of his father's best friend, Talon Karrde (the man he was named after). He knew if he screwed up he would have a lot of upset people. So at first he didn't want to date her, but she had a crush on him since she was a tween, so she was persistent on dating him when she went off to college.

Mara/Luke will always be a favorite of mine though. I love my OCs, but L/M shippers are a bigger target audience and it is nice getting feedback. I don't think many people read my OC stories.

Captain Rakkaus and divapilot like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I did. I wrote a story about Luke and Wedge after Mara and Iella had died. I think you were the only one to read it. But the fact that you don't remember is probably a good thing because it was really baaaadly written (it was dark times: during the move).

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Don't feel bad. I can't remember half the stories I have written. I will go to FFN and see story titles of a fics I wrote and more than once I thought, "What was that story about?" At first I thought you were referring to a story I wrote. I remember joking about Wedge being Luke's rear gunner in a story. But I can't remember what story or what the story was about. :p

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I could have sworn I posted it weeks ago, but I posted my 'reply' (if you can call it that) to the challenge:

Word Gets Around

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What would you all think of a rebellion era Luke/shira Brie AU?

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Are they aromantic with an exception?

After Googling what "aromantic" meant, I believe it applies to my pairing of the Everquest refugee, Yavinelf and a pre-Empire Ysanne Isard. No interest in romances in general, both hard workers where their job or calling is their life, and the effort that went into the joint mission rescue, and the feelings or motivations behind it, are what have pushed these two individuals together.

15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I think as a couple Luke and Shira Brie were interesting but not plausible. He was too young, too eager. He needed to figure his own place out first, and obviously she wasn't really interested in him. He was more flattered than anything.

Captain Rakkaus and Sith-I-5 like this.
  16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    My OTP; aren't they cute [face_love]
    [​IMG]

17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    They are so cute! :) Saw this while it was still in the making and now with both of them together in the same comp, it makes much more sense. That's the kind of a "knowing" look they're giving to each other, where you can't quite tell if they have something on their minds, if they're annoyed with each other or ...porque no las dos? :D

I want one of these drawn for me of you-know-who and you-know-who-else. Or I cry. Loud.

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Great work making her eyes expressive, and the highlight of the piece.

Hope he noticed her new hairdo quicker than I would have.

19. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Just an update to see how everybody is doing, challenge-wise. I've started writing my response this morning and it's a nice day to write - gloomy and grey, no colour, lots of rain. Not sure how that makes it suitable for romantic stuff, but it does, somehow.

Briannakin is the only participant who posted a story so far, but I am confident that there will be more of you as our deadline approaches. That means you have one month from today to write those stories. This is not to say that you can write them a year from now - just that they need to be submitted before the deadline in order to be considered for this challenge.

If you need to look at the rules et cetera again, click here.

Does anybody need help with anything? Motivation? Ideas to get them started? A beta-reader? Just say it. :)

We also had a wonderful, wonderful piece of art submitted to this thread! Check out this awesome drawing of Raissa Baiard's OTP - Doran Blayne aka Domnic Jade and Raissa Baiard.

If anybody else has drawn, painted or otherwise created any fan art dedicated to one or more of their OTPs, feel free to post it here!

Discussion #5 - The Ghosts That Haunt Our Love

This discussion is partly inspired by the current mini-challenge in the Dear Diary Challenge thread and partly by the fact that Halloween is coming up on Monday.

There is no such a thing as an ideal relationship. In spite of that certain Offspring song, the characters are not required to "check their baggage at the door". On the contrary, most of them won't even report any baggage. But every single secret, every single thing rotting in the back of somebody's psyche will pop up when least expected. Maybe your character had a substance abuse problem. Maybe it's their previous romantic relationship that made them cautious. Maybe they cannot allow themselves to love somebody. Maybe they had horrible parents. Maybe they're hiding something. There are endless possibilities.

So, let's tackle that.

What issues did your characters turn out to have once the relationship is on, that their partners were not aware before? How much of a dealbreaker are these issues? How do your characters work together to overcome them and can they overcome them in the first place? How does this affect their relationship?

If you're new and would like to give your two cents on any of the previous topics, the list is here.

mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Finally initiated challenge fic'. 490 words.

29/10 - 570 words added. Plus 1,428.

06/11 - 1,199 words.

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm still hoping to get my challenge done. I really wanted to write SW, but the muse just doesn't want to cooperate there at the moment.

What issues did your characters turn out to have once the relationship is on, that their partners were not aware before?
    L/M - I don't know that there was all that much they didn't know about each other before they got together, they had known each other for so long. I'm sure there were small things, but I can't think of any major baggage. (Or is my terrible memory just not coming up with anything?)

Josh/Donna (The West Wing) - Again, they knew each other for so long, and worked so closely together for years I can't imagine there isn't much they don't know about each other. Especially Donna about Josh, and he's certainly the one with major baggage. The only thing I can think of that we know that Donna might not know is that Josh has major survival guilt from when his sister died in a fire when they were little. It certainly affects him (we saw how specifically in an episode) but is clearly something he doesn't talk about much. I think if anything, Donna knowing this would just help her understand Josh even more than she already does.

How much of a dealbreaker are these issues? How do your characters work together to overcome them and can they overcome them in the first place? How does this affect their relationship?
    Both - I don't know that any of their issues would be deal breakers. With Luke and Mara, she wanted to kill Luke very badly, if that wasn't a deal breaker, not much would be. I think with both relationships, they'd find ways to work it out and move on and make them stronger. I'm sure they have deal breakers, everyone does, but I can't think of any that we know that would be the case.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Sith-I-5 and mavjade - Glad to see your stories are on the way. :) And if they're not SW, it's OK. More fandoms, more fun!

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    08/11/2016 - 376 words added. Stopped typing so I can put a plate on my laptop.

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I found this yesterday on Pinterest:
    [​IMG]
    So, baggage.... Doran has his failed relationship with Alyse Bergeine. He truly thought she was The One, but she left him standing at a spaceport with a "Dear John" letter in order to rescue her old master, Paolo. She turned out to be more devoted to the Jedi Order and its ideals, including non-attachment, than she was to Doran. He realized that what brought them together wasn't really love, but need in the wake of the siege on the Temple and Order 66. Consequently, he's reluctant to put his heart on the line again. He's also dealing with the fact that as a Jedi, he's not supposed to be in a relationship in the first place, especially with a woman who is his padawan.

Raissa has never had a serious relationship, but she's been surrounded by men who put her down for being a woman and doubt her abilities. Accepting that Doran isn't like them could take some effort.

Will any of these things be deal-breakers? Of course not; they are my OTP, after all. :D That doesn't mean they won't take some work.

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I thought you really had found a shipping company. A few seconds before I remembered... shipping.

Kahara and Captain Rakkaus like this.