main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The new Protagonist, could she/he be Jedi, Sith, Gray?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Aug 15, 2013.

?

New Protagonist Jedi, Sith, Gray?

1. Jedi

55.6%
  2. Gray

16.7%
  3. Sith

13.9%
  4. None of the above.

13.9%
  1. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Chiznuk - At the time, it was planned to be wrapped up in III. Now all bets are off, and the door is wide open for revision. AGAIN.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure but there are revisions and then there are pointless retcons. For example, Darth Vader being Luke's father was a great revision because his father hadn't been fully fleshed out at the time but Leia has been and to simply ignore all the evidence that she is indeed Luke's sister is just going too far.

Graphic, kainee, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Does Vader still have a thingy? I thought he might be a eunuch.

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Doesn't sound like an Eunuch, wears a codpiece and is totally masculine all around. His junk is obviously still functional.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I see the codpiece has fooled you. As well as the voice of James Earl Jones. ;)

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    We were lucky. A few seconds longer on that lava strand and Vader would have sounded like this:

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Pretty good stuff, Pevra. But why does Mickey Mouse sound like Michael Jackson to me? Hm.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't know. Michael Jackson, that's a scary topic. :p

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012

Arguably, the subplot of Luke's father plays across the OT.

The establishment of "Leia" as Luke's sister is trite at best.

I'm not ignoring the obvious evidence that was reinforced in Ep. III. What I am saying is, 20 years later, the fetus named Leia Skywalker, that was removed from Padme's birth canal, may not be Princess Leia Organa.

A legit foundation for this argument is Padme Amidala's extensive use of body doubles in the PT.

I am not saying "Princess Leia" portrayed by Carrie Fisher was posing as the true Leia.

I am saying that it's possible, now with the ST, that all canon is not as it seems. Already, the rumor of the Emperor having another apprentice has surfaced. That's not a surprise with the EU. But, an argument could be made that it's impossible because it was never mentioned in the OT. Palpatine wanted Luke, blah blah blah...

What I am alluding to is the "other" Yoda spoke of was in fact his true biological sister that continued to remain, "safely anonymous", despite what was told to Luke by a ghost.

The double switch may have been something only Yoda and Bail Organa knew about. Kenobi may not have been aware of it after he left for TAT. He was on a need to know basis.

Why?

Because what happened during the final duel is EXACTLY why Luke's true sister was not revealed to him during the course of ROTJ. If Luke was not successful, Palpatine would have went directly after Leia following Luke's death. There was too much at stake for family-less monks to let an emotional man take that pertinent information into battle with him.

We're back to Luke having a sister somewhere else. My guess is that Palpatine got to her first, and was training her. That's why he was so quick and eager to kill Luke for defying him. I would have thought he'd of tried harder to break Luke's will than the outcome of a fist fight. Yeah, his dad was that easy. Perhaps Luke needed the Dooku treatment? Flattery and deception?

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I finally finished the final season of The Clone Wars, and I would argue that this season reinforces my idea that the PT Jedi essentially do become a gray order. They aren't merely peacekeepers anymore, but aggressive agents of the Republic-soon-to-be-Empire. They aren't even in charge of their own moral decisions; their choices are made by Palpatine, a Sith Lord, and the corrupt Senate. So although they may not all be making selfish decisions for themselves, they do use the force aggressively for others who are making selfish decisions.

I would hope that the ST Jedi steer clear from working directly for the New Republic.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    By definition a PROtagonist is a good guy and the hero. Therefore there can't be a Sith Protagonist.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Unless you have a Sith who's a good person (don't want to be sexist) and the hero.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You can have a 'bad guy' protagonist, there are many movies/TV shows that have 'anti-hero's' that are the protagonist. The show 'Dexter' is an example of one such character. I don't think it will happen in E7, but it's not impossible to have.

The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  14. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    That makes no sense though. A Sith in order to be defined a Sith has to be a student of the Dark Side. We're not gonna start mingling or parsing the definitions of what it means to be good or evil. We already know. Sith are evil by definition therefore can't be a PROtagonist.

15. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes. I agree there are many anti-heroes. In fact I think a Boba Fett movie would be such an example. BUT my point is that a Sith can't be the protagonist. I never said "bad guys" in general.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Please remember that the edit button is your friend, double posting is not. You may always quote more than one person per post.
    This message is brought to you by Mods for not double posting. [/mod voice]

(I feel we may be in a case of misunderstanding, but I take your statements to mean a Sith could never be a protaganist so that is how I'm responding)

I don't see how a Sith is exclusionary to being a protaganist. The definition of protaganist isn't that they are the good guy.

I agree that is extremely unlikely that this will be the case in E7, unless someone is a Sith and then get redeemed, though we've been down that path before so I doubt that's the case either... I'm just playing devils advocate and saying it's not beyond the realm of possibility. One could possibly feel empathy for a Sith if written in the right way. I bring up Dexter again... he was serial killer, not someone I would normally empathize with no matter their motivation, yet when watching the show, I completely did.

HWK-290, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would be interesting to see someone actually come back from the dark side and stay alive to redeem himself with more than just a kindly smile and a dying breath.
    The ST itself, I think, will play it safe and have a more of a clear cut, black and white, good vs. evil thing going on.
    Anti-heroes and "gray" main characters and maybe even downright evil main characters will probably be dealt with in a separate movie/trilogy/series.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    A "gray" protagonist could sort of be like Revan from the Old Republic era. Incidentally, he was one of the first, if not the first, Jedi to have fallen to the Dark Side and ended up getting redeemed to the Light. He participated in numerous conflicts on both the side of the Jedi and the Sith, and was said to be the only individual to have truly mastered both sides of the Force.

If the protagonist is a more "gray" Jedi, I could see his/her personality perhaps resembling Revan's (post-mindwipe), willing to do what it takes to secure peace in the galaxy. Of course, as others have noted, it might be better to have a more "gray" character (or antihero) as the protagonist of a spinoff. After all, SW is pretty simple in its core theme of good versus evil.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What about a Sith who's 100% good?

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  20. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012

Good, from a certain point of view!!! :p

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In this case, good from the point of view of the vast majority of ordinary people whose lives they affect.

Such a Sith might have embraced their passions, but the benevolent ones- love, compassion, affection, and so forth.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    In that case Vader actually stayed Sith in ROTJ.

23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    If the protagonist is Gray, there is always:

[​IMG]

The Hellhammer likes this.
  24. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    A few thoughts:

1) I sincerely hope that the ST protagonist is not a type of anti-hero. I don't want to see the "Twilight-ization" of Star Wars, having a brooding, anti-hero, spawning "Team Anti-Hero" and "Team other young guy/girl" complete with Twitter fights and stupid melodramatic pictures and youtube tributes. This will probably happen anyway, much to my annoyance.

2) I'd like to see a definite protagonist and antagonist, with 1 or possibly 2 main characters caught between. It was never in question that Luke was the protagonist, even if he was tempted by the dark side. Han? A little more ambiguous...

3) Having a Sith be the "good guy" would completely unsettle the entire saga. While it's an interesting experiment for the EU, it would completely undermine the established narrative of the first 6 films. This would validate Anakin's flawed argument at the end of ROTS ("From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.") The foundational philosophy of the saga is that there is a definite good side and a definite bad side, to put things simply. Complicating that by having the Sith be the protagonist would likely be enough for me to lose interest.

Immortiss likes this.
  25. NumberWan

NumberWan Jedi Knight

Feb 1, 2013
    Both in Original Trilogy and Prequels they used (intentionally or not) the scheme, where we expect one person to be truly evil (Tarkin and Vader in OT, Darth Maul, Dooku, Grievous in prequels), but later the real villain is revealed. In OT the Emperor was planned to be a pawn, not a mastermind behind all the events. However it changed with the release of Episode V.

I guess, they would try the same thing here. The thing is that unlike the prequels, we don't know what would happen after all the seen events.

I hope, we won't see another Sith there. A Jedi - perhaps. However the real villain could be someone else (as always). I would prefer not to see a classic Force-User...