main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The New Rebellion," by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Bantam, 1996]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"The New Rebellion," by Kristine Kathryn Rusch [Bantam, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

19.3%
  2. 9

6.0%
  3. 8

19.3%
  4. 7

7.2%
  5. 6 (Average)

9.6%
  6. 5 (Average)

15.7%
  7. 4

4.8%
  8. 3

4.8%
  9. 2

3.6%
  10. 1 (Poor)

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/tnr_.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "Somewhere in the galaxy, millions suddenly perish in a blinding instant of pain, anguish, and despair -- a disruption of the Force so shocking, it is felt by Luke at his Jedi academy on Yavin 4 and by Leia at home on Coruscant. It is a deed that rivals the terrifying power of the.

Then death comes to Coruscant itself. As Leia, head of the New Republic:prepares to address the senate, a massive explosion decimates the Senate's ranks. Leia survives and recovers, only to be faced calls to resign from office. Even worse some of the Senators lay the blame for the attack on Han Solo.

As Leia works desperately to clear Han's name, Han and Chewbacca journey to the lawless asteroids of Smuggler's Run to track down rumors of a secret plot against the New Republic. And Luke goes in search of Brakiss, a former Jedi student who has turned his considerable talents to the dark side and might well have been involved in the unexplained deaths of millions that so disturbed Luke and Leia. But Brakiss is only a small part of the carnage taking place on Coruscant and elsewhere. Luke is being stalked by a master of the dark side who is determined to rule as the next emperor. Luke, Leia, and Leia's Jedi children are targeted to die. Then billions will follow, in a holocaust unequaled in galactic history."

TheForce.net Book Review for The New Rebellion.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

At least it beat The Crystal Star!

-Evan

4. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    I found this book to be one of the weaker plot points in the EU. I agree that is better then some but I don't see it as an important book to read inorder to understand the major events that happened in the EU.

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Ugh, I remember when I bought this. I hadn't known it was coming out (I don't think I had the internet at the time) and I loved the EU, so I bought it.

Big Mistake!

Luke. Pink Bubbles.

That's all you need to know why I gave it a 3

6. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Had it's cheesy parts, such as the pink bubbles. But I enjoyed most of it, especially Han meeting up with all his smuggling buddies after he's be away and living a straight life for so long.

7. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    5/10, although now that I think about it really deserved a 4/10. Didn't like much of the book, particularily the idea that almost every starfighter in the fleet had had a little bomb put in the ship. It showed the reintegration of Imperial politicians into the NR too early. The one bright spot was kueller, the main villain, who I thought was wasted in being killed so early on.

8. joco

joco Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey I just bought this book last night at
    my local bookland.I have been wanting it
    for a long time.I read the first five
    chapters of it and what surprised me how
    intense the action is in classic star wars
    style.Also Anakin Solo begins to question
    his uncle Luke about the dark side of the
    force as well.My only complaint is that
    some of the chapters our too short.To me
    its one little page turner it keeps your
    fingers moving at hyperspace.Overall I found
    it to be average and one of the better star
    wars stories from the EU universe

9. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

8/10

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's a good book, but Kueller (and Nandreeson too, now that I think about it) seemed a lot like a Bond villain. Did anyone else notice that?

11. darthmace7

darthmace7 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 15, 2003
    I liked it. Kueller was kind of like a Bond villain, but I love both Bond and Star Wars, so I didn't really mind. I just liked having another villain in a cool death mask. I really enjoyed this book; it was very action-packed.

I give it an 8/10.

12. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003

This is my all-time favorite EU book. Loved the action, loved the villain, loved the plot, loved the fact that Leia was the main character (Rusch is one of the few EU authors, IMO, who can write Leia almost as good as George Lucas) and the true hero of the story, loved almost everything about it.

My only complaint is the whole Luke-gets-injured-really-bad-once-again part. Especially after having read COTJ, in which he nearly lost his leg.

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It has a nice pace. And there being a Rebellion against the Republic is a nice twist. But other than that not great. Leia after 13 yrs is upset at allowing people into the senate. Nice job with Han though.

14. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    its was ok....

15. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
  16. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really didn't like it much. The whole thing about an imperial faction buying their own armor through the black market... bad...

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I thought this was a 10.

To me it is one of the best stand alone SW novels

18. JediSolo13

JediSolo13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Great book! Absolutely loved it!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D I give it three smiles up!!!

19. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    10. One of the best I've read.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    7 / 10

It had a specific style of writing, which perhaps is where the problem lay. One-line sentences are best left for emphasising something notable, and visually sets it apart on the page. With a vast number of one-line sentences here, this book was far fatter than it should be.

I just felt the characters were not in character. Solo came across as too sharp and edgey, which perhaps was necessary considering his locale. Lando was stale, just not at his best, while Luke and Leia were fine.

What really added fun to farce were the droids. At last: someone gave them some serious page time. The ending was utterly ludricious, of course: Artoo's jamming signal "just leaping out across interstellar space" and preventing the activation of two years' production of detonating droids. But they had adventures, they had character, and had a role.

Infortunately, there's only so much you can read "Artoo whistled" or "Artoo trilled" or "Artoo rasperried" page after page. How that got past editorial scrutiny, well . . .

The villians were ruined, of course, by showing scenes from their viewpoint. Brakiss was an immature weakling, some child trapped in a man's body. He was no scary villain at all, so why try to make im such? Kueller, it was a grievous mistake to show any pov from him. Sith to stars, he was more administrator than sinister. Nothing vicious about Nandreeson either.

But the humour was good, I'll give the book that much. Wookies look smaller when wet. Han felt himself starting to grin, but Chewie growled it away. Samples like that were worth a quick giggle.

Only way to make a martial confrontation more even as to disable Skywalker, yes. But having his outmatched in a fight, it does stretch the bounds of credulity.

Why "Y-words" are so popular in sci fi I can't fanthom, which is why we had a lot of "Y" names here like Yanne and Yane and yuck all round. Saber fights were rare in those days. You got three entire duels in this book!

How can bombs really take out a planetary population, really? As though there are no detection units at all anywhere, as though most sentients are around droids all day long.

But it was the ending space engagement that had me laughing big time. I seriously haven't read any major space batle by a female author that can do one, and that's no jibe intended. On the other leg, few are the men who can really push the emotional range of a character the way a lady can. Ah well.

The classic one shot and the target explodes. Yeah right. Star Cruisers are more than a match for Vicstars. Even if their crew complement were droids, the battle was only dire to make it dramatic for the reader. And since when does a New Republic naval officer have to say they think the fighters look like TIEs? Been that long since an Imperial fight, sonny?

The final battle was awfully done, all right.

Good to see an author making attempts to show new and different aliens. Who wants to see an endless barrage of Rodians and Twi'leks every single damn book and comic? Though the 'Phibs were nothing but reptilian fire-breathing dragons.

The New Rebellion was a bad book. It stands lone, had some good creativity and equally shoddy fare, and it's not a book written for younger ages like most SW books these days, so it ain't all bad all up.

21. Gross-admiral_Thrawn

Gross-admiral_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2003
    Really hate that book.
    Really really. It was the ultimate expression of absurd that the Star Wars stories tend to fall into.

Plot: -1000, really sucks.
    Oh no! Another baddie-baddie (actually, still a kid!) threatens to destroy the whole New Republic! Oh man, it's so damn scary, I can't help laughing...
    And that droid stuff... silly. Just silly.
    Then he kills his woman-in-charge, just to show us he's bad, as if we didn't know that from the start... :D
    Another "oh my new superweapon, oh I am so dark, oh I will have them killed!" idiot - exactly what Kueller is.
    Most of Star Wars books suck when it comes to having a strong and really interesting antagonist character(s), except Zahn's Thrawn stuff.
    But man, this one sucked enormously.

Oh wait... I am not yet speaking of the classic "goodie Rebels beat'em all up, so easy" ending! Luke gets terribly injured - but then he's up and running. He's on the edge of death... again... and again, and again, and it's boring... Can he DIE in the end? Got so bored of his neverending hero stuff...

And the rush final (too fast, that is) - the villain is killed, everybody is happy again, have some pink soap opera :( Man... I'd say some strong words now, but...

This book is so bad that reading it (unless you are 3 years old) might insult your intelligence. And lower it to kiddie-level.

22. Chiss_Imperial

Chiss_Imperial Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2004

Um, it reused the worst star wars plot, beat luke to pulp and have him in pain and then make him fight. what saved this book from being a 1 was the smugglers run sections, wich were quite good.

23. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    i'm only about half way done with this book so far and i have to say it's a great read.

24. Ilyria

Ilyria Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    The New Rebellion is one of my definate favs I liked how they put the story together and the characters of course as usual were just awesome

25. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    10 but they made Luke a little weak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.