main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The New Republic Wont Operate from Coruscant - How about Yavin or Naboo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Jan 24, 2013.

1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Why does the New Republic political stage have to be front and center? It wasn't in the OT, it doesn't need to be in the ST... you still have Coruscant as the capital, but never actually go there in the films.

Vespasian likes this.
  2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    LOL! Great point.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There really don't have to be any Senate meetings in this one. Maybe just have one or two throughout the new trilogy.

4. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think it is logical to have the New Republic head quartered on Coruscant. It has always been a symbol of the government to be on Coruscant. If it's not there I would pick Mon Calamari.

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

It's called a "speculation thread". The topic is "republic won't operate from Coruscant". Then you discuss that topic.

;)

-C

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Then it should be titled "republic may not operate from Coruscant".:-B

7. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    How about Had Abbadon, the original name for Coruscant. a city plant like coruscant but more of a golden age. i would love to see some coruscant destruction though, like the trailer for GI. JOE where they destroy london

InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Coruscant is the center of the galaxy, with all the necessary infrastructure for a galactic government to function.
    Yavin is a remote backwater moon, it would make no sense for a galactic government to operate from there.

Naboo...no, because I personally dislike that planet-sized clothes refreshener commercial.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    So basically Coruscant.o_O

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it's a given that there is a New Republic. They may end up telling a very different story. And if that's the case, there are all kinds of possibilities. Perhaps the galaxy has fractured into different societies as an example. There are many others.

Perhaps the entire point of the new trilogy will be on what happens to a society after a revolution. I don't think we can assume anything.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe it's on a space station much like the Citadel from the Mass Effect games?

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I've previously said somewhere that I'd love to see Coruscant sacked--maybe by barbarian hordes--but even if that happens (or has already happened at the beginning of Ep. 7) there's no reason to move the capital of the galaxy to another planet. It would still be more cost-effective to rebuild the existing infrastructure than to newly build such a thing on another planet.

IMO, the idea of Coruscant is that it gradually developed over 100s or 1000s or years. How long would it take to rebuild that on another planet?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    They might as well have built something like that in the 30-40 years since Return of the Jedi. That could be a fun idea.

Personally, I kinda like Coruscant and think that it makes most sense for the New Republic (even if it might not be called by that name) to set up it's power center there. In the larger scale of things in the SW universe, the rule of the Galactic Empire is a short timespan. Coruscant has always been the center of government and it's tied to the idea of it being the center of the galaxy and therefore the galactic government, more than it's exclusively tied to the period of Palpatine's rule. Not talking any EU stuff here, just the larger perspective.

Also, seeing the Big Three on Coruscant would provide a nice tie-in to the previous movies, without it feeling too forced or out of place.

14. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    no wiseass, it's called Had Abaddon

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    First it is not nice to call people names. Second I would like to see the galaxy split between two opposing superpowers in a sort of Cold War situation and if that is the case then I think it would be cool to see Had Abaddon as the capital of the other superpower.

RAZORBLADE likes this.
  16. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The concept of Had Abaddon is Coruscant.

17. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    my idea exactly and i am sorry for the name call

clone3131 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

Now THAT would be cool. Have the EMPIRE still alive and kicking and operating out of Coruscant. And have the NEW REPUBLIC operate out of a near by system and have the two at war at the beginning of VII

man I hope they come up with something cool like that.

-C

19. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    will the way i see it is Coruscant is Rome, then Had Abaddon should be Constantinople[ when rome was sacked a lot of the big buisness men of rome move east and settled in constantinople, thus the ottoman empire]

Tan-Wessel and Count Yubnub like this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Not bad, not bad! I like it.

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    In-universe, the coordinates of Coruscant are "Triple Zero."
    It's not technically exactly in the center, but it's in the core...

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, my idea was really that the two superpowers arose out of the Rebel Alliance. I like to think that after the fall of the Empire not all the systems of the Alliance could agree how best to start up a new government and some left to create their own. Mistrust grew up between them and they both began an arms race. 40 years later and the two have grown into military superpowers just itching to start a war.

NoChesterHester and RAZORBLADE like this.
  23. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    very good, and imagine an anarchist comes to the galaxy to incite war between the two factions, so they will weaken each other and allow his army to strike and take control of the galaxy

24. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yavin? No one even lives there! Just a empty temple of sorts. <facepalm>

25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I say there is no new republic. World's govern themselves & form alliances but there is no central government. The galaxy would be too gun-shy to hand so much power to anyone, even the rebel leaders. An alliance of independent states is more likely IMO, much like the countries formerly within the Soviet Union

NoChesterHester and Tan-Wessel like this.