main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The New Republic Wont Operate from Coruscant - How about Yavin or Naboo

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
  2. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Not that I think it likely or even the best idea, but IF Coruscant turns out to not be the capital of the New Republic, there would also be the possibility that a former Hutt dominated, backwater planet called Tatooine could become the capital considering the weight that Luke Skywalker as the big hero of the alliance has in it... or at least a regional capital if the New Republic doesn't exist or it's not a galaxy wide government system.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Nah, Tatooine will be the Headquarters of the Galactic Agricultural Commision.

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm with ya there.

I'm gonna go out on the same limb as you and say there won't be a headquarters for the new republic. The new republic will be made of territories, each with their own leader. The New Republic will not want an overall leader, elected or otherwise, so there can be no risk of the same mistakes happening that led to the Empire.

Think how our own world works, we're one planet made up of lots of countries with their own leaders. I believe the galaxy of the ST will be made up like that.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

I really should read the posts more thoroughly when I'm at work!!!

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  7. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    Talk of relocating the center of the republic to somewhere other than Coruscant is stupid.

Coruscant has obviously been the galaxy's center of commerce and politics for a VERY VERY LONG time, likely many thousands of years. The whole planet is a freaking city - that isnt built overnight. Overall, the Empire only existed for about 30 years. In the grand scheme of things, it was a blip on the radar. Further, the Senate continued to exist until the beginning of ANH. The time frame between ANH and the end of ROTJ when the Empire is defeated is only a few years. So why on earth would you have the thousand year old Senate move to a new location when it was only "out of commission" for a few short years?

Further,we know from the movies that both Naboo and Tatooine are "backwater" planets on the fringes of the galaxy. Logistaclly, it would make no sense to move the center of galactic government there. Neither planet has the infrastructure to handle the traffic associated with tens of thousands of governments relocating operations there. It would take hundreds of years to build all the buildings necessary buildings.

The New Republic would have enough problems as it is. Relocating the entire government (and commerce associated with it) to a new planet would not be one of them.

kubricklynch and Random Comments like this.
  8. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Coruscant would make the most sense to remain the capital. It became what it is because it sits at the intersection of so many trade routes. It's also a core world as has been stated and that does make a big difference even when the hyperdrive can get you across the galaxy in a few days. Moving the capital away from Coruscant won't make in-universe sense unless it's been destroyed or rendered uninhabitable in the post-ROTJ era.

A more likely question is going to be whether the Jedi Order is still largely stationed on Coruscant. I could see them continuing to use the Temple on Coruscant but not having that necessarily be the HQ. Maybe Luke likes to hang out on Illum.

Lord Optimus likes this.
  9. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    It's a movie, people... pretty much anything can happen... moving the capital to Tatooine isn't so far fetched. Coruscant may still be an important planet for commerce and whatnot but for Tatooine or another planet to be the capital all it needs is to do is house the government, and enough time will have passed by since ROTJ for that infrastructure to have been built. And the idea wouldn't be new in sci-fi... that's what happened in DUNE, which a masterpiece btw.

10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    But why would they have bothered to go to a backwater planet on the fringe of the galaxy and make it the capital. It's illogical

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    If Tatooine is the galactic capital because Anakin and Luke lived there, I'm walking out of the film.

What would the point be of moving everything off Coruscant and going to build the capital on Tatooine? Why don't they just house the government down by Otoh Gunga. Or maybe on one of the big asteroids circling around Geonosis? That would be awesome.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should hold random Senate meetings at places the characters haven't even heard of.

13. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah yeah... I mentioned it as a possibility, made that clear, and I still think it is such. We don't know if some reasons for the moving of the capital would be called for in the script. Personally, I believe it will still be Coruscant, but we're entertaining the idea of it being somewhere else as by the original post.
    You guys need to get off your damn high horse

14. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002

Just giving you a little jazz Sum-Wan... I just can't personally see it being anywhere other than Coruscant unless something happened to Coruscant in between ROTJ and VII.

Maybe the Wampa monster's cave on Hoth could be the Supreme Chancellor's office?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't have any issue with Coruscant being headquarters...I would definately prefer THAT over any other planets we've seen so far...I just would hope we don't see AS much of it as we did in the PT.

Although I'd be open to a brand new unseen one. But IMO it would have to NOT be on the outer rim, and the climate/culture would have to be something universal, that would make sense as a "galactic center." Not some remote planet-one's like Hoth, Dantooine, Tattooine and even Bespin just seem too...off the beaten path to be the headquarters of the galaxy.

If I could throw out a choice, mine would be Chandrila.

16. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Tatooine? Seriously? If I was a pompous core world noble appointed senator and the New Republic representative told me to pack up my stuff and move to the Outer Rim because that's where the capital is, I'd send them the heads of every NR operative in my sector and strike out on my own.

Cultural and political insignificance aside, they would have to waste billions of credits on urban development and military infrastructure just to keep the senators safe, just about any schmo could fly over to Tatooine and start strafing the planet with laser fire.

17. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    Logically, one would think that the Emperor would have comissioned the Jedi Temple to be destroyed after the Jedi were wiped out. Luke would essentially be in a position to "start from scratch." He could chose to train Jedi on Dagobah (since thats where he recieved his training) or he could chose some other remote location. However, since the Jedi were guardians and protectors of the republic, it would make sense for the Order to be based where the Republic is based. At minimum, i would think the Jedi Council would be there, even if most Jedi were trained somewhere else.

Either way, i agree with those who hope the ST doesnt spend too much time on Corusant., In the OT, the story always seemed to crawl to a halt there.

18. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Yeah, because we know the Rebel Alliance instated New Republic will STILL have the same pompous, hypocrite, corrupt senators it had in the old Republic / Empire times who will not give a damn about reconstruction and peace efforts but in their own gain and life style...
    :oops:

19. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Actually, Coruscant and Tatooine are the only planet from the PT and OT I want to make an appearance in the ST.

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Honestly, I could do without Tatooine....
    (In the ST)

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  21. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    I'd be happy if they forgo a capital planet and created a giant space station which houses Senators and the working government, maybe something along the lines of the Death Star, but without the 'Death,'.. a space station of peace, which endlessly travels around the galaxy, visiting planets that need help and attention, post Empire. It would mirror the OT perfectly adding a layer of symmetry to the OT and ST.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    EDIT - Eh, on scond thought, this video probably isn't appropriate for this forum, with the swear word censoring and all that hah.

23. hawkeye forever

hawkeye forever Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    IMO, if the New Republic/Galactic Alliance/etc controls the whole galaxy than the capital should stay on Coruscant. Although it is a new trilogy, Coruscant is the home of civilization in the Star Wars galaxy. It has been the center of governments for thousands of years and there is no reason to change it. However I do feel they would need to cut back on the images or scenes of Coruscant so it does not feel too much like the PT. Personally I feel that it would be silly for the government to be operating from a planet such as Naboo or Dantooine. Dantooine is way too remote and does not have the infrastructure and Naboo does not have the influence to warrant a move there. In order to have a stable government you need to 'appease' the different species and planets that make up that government. An attempt to move the center of power to a planet such as Naboo, etc would be meet by opposition from other planets, because they would feel that the new governmental planet would have too much authority. Unless Coruscant is a complete wasteland or under the control of a rival entity than there is very little reason to change.

24. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    The capital of the Republic (new, or otherwise) IS Coruscant. I don't understand some of the threads I've been seeing around here lately. Move the capital? Mace Windu is C3-PO? The return of Darth Vader? Why? Is the Ep7 news making people...dumber?

25. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I take offense to linking this thread to those others. Why does the NEW Republic have to operate out of Coruscant?

If I was starting something "new" and "different" - why would I do it on the same planet or in the same buildings as the old republic that failed. Or in the same EMPIRE buildings?

That would be like Germany still using the Nazi symbols after Hitler...

-C