main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    It slices, it dices, it has gps!

I am still skeptical as to how this will play.

nightangel and Shadojoker like this.
  2. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Could the First Order need the crystal inside the sabre to fully power their weapon?

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Another idea, at this academy attack Kylo captures Rey and leaves a message for Luke, something like if he doesn't excile himself and ever returns, his daughter/niece will be killed. Luke leaves and somehow decodes his coordinates in this saber. It takes some time until the saber arrives and Leia sends Poe to grab it. Then the story starts and Kylo of course tries to avoid that they can get Luke's coordinates, until he finds Rey and realizes that it is Rey, the one that he captured at a young age and maybe left here somewhere without anyone caring for her. He probably thought she is already dead. I know this doesn't sound very convincing as well, but none of the ideas really convince me yet. [face_dunno]

4. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Yeah but the real question is when and how did the Bespin saber come back to Luke??!! And why would it have "coordinates" to him??!! The real question are.

1)who had it last and who is the current true owner?
    2)! Did it belong to Rey or Kylo Ren while they were at the Academy?
    3) How long has Luke been "missing"??

5. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    So from this I think that there are two different motivations at play in here. Kylo's a hunter of Jedi artifacts, so he comes down to find a reported saber under the guise of looking for Resistance fighters. He uses excessive force (which bothers Finn to no end) but in the end Poe, who was sent in to retrieve the saber based on a hunch from Leia, who had no idea about the First Order being there, gets hold of it. He puts it into BB-8, gets captured. Finn helps Poe break out, Finn crashes down on Jakku, and Poe... just sort of disappears. Somehow.

From there we get a look at the scavenger Rey, she's doing things, and then she finds BB-8. Later, she finds Finn in the wreckage and the two go to talk. Rey's distrustful of Finn, but the two bid their time. Then BB-8 reveals the "secret compartment", lightsaber unveiling, First Order barges down, the two escape. The two find the Falcon and take off. Once they loose the First Order they stay on some sort of a Frigate where they meet Han and Chewie and then leave again. Meanwhile Poe returns to Leia, who reveals more about the superweapon conflict. Finn and Rey and Han and Chewie, after some struggles, make it to the Resistance base, where they meet Rose, FLASHBACK SEQUENCE. Rose gives the saber to Leia, the gang learns about the superweapon. Somewhere along the way Rey is captured. The gang probably also heads with R2D2 and C-3PO. This is all intercut with bad guy scenes, including the famous Parade scene, specifically with the General, the Chrometrooper constantly hunting Finn down, and Kylo doing his business under the watchful eye of Uber.

The gang, or what's left of it, heads to Evil Castle while Poe and the other fighters attack on the outside in Space and in the Air. This fails miserably because superweapon. Poe and his crew go in to deal the final blow while Han sacrifices himself a la Obi Wan to let the others go on and save Rey. This happens, Finn and Rey escape, and somehow the snow planet is connected in all of this because reasons. Perhaps the scenes we saw in the trailer of Poe and the X-Wings is a different scene entirely? In any case, this all winds up with our heroes desperate and lost in the forest, pursued by Kylo. This ends in a fight between Finn/Rey and Kylo, with Rey/Finn watching by with a blaster, ready to fire at any warning. Mountain collapses, forest set ablaze, superweapon destroyed, Falcon-ex-machina saves Finn and Rey, Kylo gets off, heroic celebration/funeral, "one last thing" by Leia, Rey finds Luke, roll credits.

6. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think Kylo goes and finds it. I think his dark path starts as obsession with the past. He will seek out everything Vader and he will resent Luke for not wanting to share Vaders dark past. He will cross paths with Uber and he will promise him power beyond Vader.

Shadojoker likes this.
  7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Let me use a completely different fantasy series to try and describe how I think this lightsaber fits in from a narrative perspective.

you guys know how Quidditch is played, right? It's kinda like Hockey/Soccer/Polo, but in the air, on brooms. You have the Resistance on one side, you have the First Order on the other, and the majority of the game is spent trying to outscore the other guys, or so injure them that they can't play anymore. That's the traditional warfare we're talking about, with TIEs & X-Wings and Star Destroyers and Cruisers and this Array/Catapult vs Sledgehammer. That's the main game.

But there's a secondary game within the game, where a little tiny ball with wings flits around the field, and you almost never get a chance to see it, even though you KNOW it's out there, somewhere. And if you do see it, and you catch it - it almost doesn't matter how the actual game is going. You'll end up winning the game. That's Luke's lightsaber.

Now, the main goal of the movie isn't to catch the snitch, obviously. Most of the movie is about the actual playing of the game. But the characters in the movie DO KNOW about the snitch, and Uber/Ren/Leia/Rose know its out there, and when they hear it's been spotted, they both want to grab that thing, because whoever gets it and decodes where the hell Luke is, is likely going to win this whole thing.

That seems to be how the lightsaber fits into this film. It's not a necessary component for the main purposes of the story - but it's absolutely a satisfying one that amplifies the level of enjoyment.

Shadojoker and Darth Dookacas like this.
  8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    But how does anyone know that the coordinates to Luke are in this saber? And that this saber is so important? And how did they detect it? It has wifi, gps or any other traceable system?[face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds and Shadojoker like this.
  9. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Again, maybe it's something that comes up in the flashback sequence? Or something that's hinted at through villain dialog (we don't know much of anything about the bad guys talking amongst themselves). There's still a lot about the movie we don't know, it's not implausible that something like this hasn't made it out yet.

Satipo likes this.
  10. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    All of that may be true, but it's still worth wondering why the macguffin is the Bespin lightsaber. You could swap it out with the Endor lightsaber and it would serve the same purpose, but offer fewer questions (how was it recovered, who did it, when did Luke obtain it, etc.).

The answer may be that Disney wants Luke to have his Endor lightsaber so that he can have it when they tell stories about the years in exile, but that isn't enough. If that's the case, we still need an explanation why Luke didn't use a datapad or holocron to transmit his location.

11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    You may be right about this. I only wonder how they will explain it in the movie. [face_sigh]

12. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Because technically, it's Anakin's? The percentage of people who will be wondering about this is pretty small, so I doubt that aspect was much of a concern when they were going over this stuff - I'd imagine considering Ren is an overzealous fan of the sith, he'd want to own Darth Vader's things as much as possible - so maybe he & Uber don't even know about the saber's ability to unlock the location of the last living Jedi Knight in exile. Maybe he just wants the snitch because it's super-pretty.

The fact it raises questions we don't immediately have an answer to doesn't necessarily make it a poor choice. It could turn out to be later on, sure, but the fact it raises questions isn't in and of itself a bad thing. That's what the movie (and the two that will follow it) is for.

edit: I don't think we need to suggest that when it comes to story details this fine that DISNEY (all-caps, super important) waded into the writers room and made the call. I doubt DISNEY had much of anything to do with the way this story played out at all.

13. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  14. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    I doubt anyone knows that Luke's location is in the lightsaber. Leia and company probably hear about a lightsaber, assume it's Luke's and investigate for personal reasons. Maybe it has a clue to where he is/has been all these years, maybe not, but he's her brother and the last Jedi so they're going to look into it.

Kylo Ren and the First Order probably intercept the message that Leia receives. Kylo probably wants the saber because he's a collector. Maybe he knows that Anakin was Vader and so he's extra motivated to obtain it given his Sith obsession. (That's probably the best reason to make Luke's message in a bottle the Bespin saber, rather than the Endor saber.)

I bet it's not until the saber is in hand (and maybe not until very late in the film) that anyone discovers that the lightsaber does more than cut things and also contains coordinates to Luke.

15. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Reading the description, sounds like it's mostly Celebration recaps, and then a quick rundown of what stuff the trailer verifies from earlier reports, and other things it points to.

They give a breakdown so you can just skip to the parts you wanna listen to. I mean - maybe the least labor intensive thing you can do is hit play on a podcast, scrub to the point you wanna listen, and then just... listen. Asking someone to go in, listen, take notes, and then write a summary based on those notes so you can read it later is pretty inefficient.

Bob Octa and dekaneas like this.
  16. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Or maybe some of us just don't have a way to listen to it right now.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  17. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    So listen to it a little later. It's not like the show is going anywhere, or that the news within it is going to depreciate in value if you don't hear it immediately.

Don't get me wrong - I do more than just take notes and write a summary when it comes to spoilers, I create an entire half-hour SHOW out of that and put that up online. So it's not like I don't value the idea and the work that goes into it. But it does seem weird to hear that a show has gone up, and to then immediately ask someone else to listen to it for them instead of just, like... listening to it. That's all.

Besides which, usually if you can post to a messageboard, you're already using some sort of device that allows you to listen to podcasts, so long as you have a pair of headphones (or speakers) nearby.

18. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    to the bolded: you and I (and nearly everyone else on this forum) will like/love this movie despite any false notes or plot holes. But I don't think the number of people who would ask questions about this is small. If the plot centers on the discovery of this lightsaber and its eventual return to Luke, people are going to wonder about how he got it (since last time we saw it it was falling onto a gas giant) and how and why he placed his coordinates in it in the first place. The rest of the movie may be an exciting, well- acted adventure, but it will objectively be a bad story if the purpose for the quest is a contrived afterthought.

To your second point: yes, we all have some degree of faith that JJ and company have thought of these things and have answers. If our default response to people asking questions about the plot is going to be "trust the people who are making this, it'll all work out" then maybe we should shut the forum down until TFA comes out. Or maybe until the entire ST is completed. Yes, some (likely most) of our concerns will be addressed by the time this thing is released. Doesn't mean we can't speculate.

19. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Which some do not, and there has been a decent consistency of someone normally posting some of the highlights when they get a chance. Just seems like a silly thing to nitpick.

Anyway, to others who responded to my force pulse from the saber theory, I was offering that speculation as a solution to how the saber resurfaces in the first place after falling at Bespin. I think it is viable considering it seems just as peculiar that Kylo randomly found Vader's helmet.

20. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    It's not a matter of whether it's a guarantee we'll like it or not. That's not even in play, really (it's also inaccurate - if this movie isn't good I'm not going to enjoy it just because the words Star Wars are on it). What I'm saying is wondering why it's Anakin's saber vs. the one Luke built on Tattooine is going to be a question a tiny percentage of viewers will even think to ask. An overwhelming number of people watching the movie likely won't even know the difference or remember there is a difference. They'll be told it's Luke's saber, and that will be enough.

As an example: Look how many people who have watched Return of the Jedi north of 5-10 times didn't even remember that Luke spoke the lines you heard in that trailer in that movie. Details that fine aren't going to stick in people's heads that solidly unless they belong to a very small percentile of fans. So the question "wait, why THAT saber instead of the green one" is very likely not going to come up until the film asks it for them.

I don't understand this response. I didn't say people couldn't/shouldn't speculate at all, or even edge in that general direction. What I was responding to specifically was the notion that something must be "wrong" if there are still unanswered questions in the course of speculating on something we don't have all the information for. It's not an argument to cease speculating at all, it's an argument to not let unanswered questions cause a line of speculation to be deemed "wrong" somehow, or to pass judgement on the incomplete idea we're studying months before the film opens.

Nobody's saying you can't speculate. Don't know how you got that from what you quoted.

How is that a nitpick? Or silly?

"HAY GUYS, NEW PODCAST IS UP. SOMEONE LISTEN TO IT FOR ME AND THEN TAKE NOTES, EVEN THOUGH I JUST LINKED IT."
    "Why not just... listen to it?"
    "Don't be a nitpicker, breh."
    "okay."

sizziano, Bob Octa and Satipo like this.
  21. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    It should be heavy speculated over why it is the Be spin saber though. If most will take face value of it being Luke's saber then why not go the easy route in using his current saber over the Bespin one?

I don't think it is a bad plot idea at all. It simply just isn't understood yet, and may not even be fully answered until later in the trilogy. I think we have to assume it is high sign if acne being the Bespin saber though because it is clearly one of the more complicated and difficult routes to go.

22. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    These people if not familiar with the OT yet, will watch them after watching TFA. Then they see Luke looses the blue saber in ESB and has a green saber in ROTJ. Then these people will ask why now the blue saber appears again. Just the color of the saber makes the difference here, even for random audiences. [face_sigh]

Darth Haggai and sterling3763 like this.
  23. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Listened to it. Nothing new regarding to TFA really.

Darth Haggai and Fleab88 like this.
  24. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    And caused you zero harm. If no one wants to post then they won't post. If anyone really wants to know what is said then eventually they will listen themselves when they have an opportunity.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  25. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    What an empty response. Are you suggesting someone need only respond to anything in this forum if it causes someone else quantifiable harm?

Am I harming you right now?

If so, I apologize.

And thanks to Soul8ous for the listen/summary :)

(And that's my 1000th post. huh.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.