main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Just observing that you are the first person in over 1000 pages that had a gripe over a fairly common request that many have graciously responded too. And no, your direct response to me did not hurt me, but it seemed rude to not respond back.

Look, I'm sorry I ruffled feathers, and in hindsight I should have just dropped it by not responding the first time. I don't want to detract from me and ng full discussion. I apologize.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Anyone find it odd that it's a week before May The Fourth and MSW hasn't heard or reported on anything scheduled?

Then again, if there were to be a poster or synopsis revealed on Starwars.com, it could be dropped without anyone knowing. After all, the title was dropped with absolutely NONE of us knowing what it was or when it would be revealed.

With regards to this, how would the Bespin lightsaber have Luke's coordinates? If it has been lost since ESB there's no way it could have his coordinates UNLESS someone retrieved it since then and put it inside the saber. That would mean it has NOT been floating around since ESB.

Darth Haggai and Seeher like this.
  3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    A poster could be pretty fun. They may be playing it by ear though.

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think there will be something TFA related on May 4th, or anthology related at least. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Fingers crossed.

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think the May 4th will be the poster.

6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    That would be good.

7. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

You're right that most viewers can't look at a lightsaber hilt and tell who the owner is or was. But people will remember the broad strokes of these films. The last time we saw Luke he was wielding a green lightsaber. The fact that he'd built his own was a pretty big deal. The lightsaber at the center of TFA will be blue. Maybe people will just assume that Luke built another saber. But I bet there's dialogue in the film that makes it clear this is the saber that Anakin used, which was later passed on to Luke. And that's when the questions will arise.

Maybe I have more faith in the average movie-goer, but I think they'll be able to piece this one together. Especially since the thing biggest clue is the most distinctive part of the lightsaber (the colorful blade).

nightangel likes this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    While I agree that most people won't know or care, I think tptb will have a reason that makes sense (even if some don't like it) for it to be the Bespin saber and not the Endor saber. There will be a rationale behind it and how the Besoin saber has come back into play at this time in such away that it is important somehow. We don't know for sure that it will lead to Luke, but if does, again, within the story there will be an explanation for how that is possible. Bobby is right. Us on here not knowing the full context does not mean tptb have not thought of context or that the storytelling is bad. It simply means we don't know the full story yet.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Even if people don't remember the lightsaber right of the bat, you know what's going to happen? A "15 Thing Wrong with The Force Awakens" article will show up on Buzzfeed within two weeks of release, and that's going to be mentioned. People will read that, and cite it repeatedly as a piece of "intelligent criticism I thought of myself and no I didn't read that online what gave you that idea," nonstop for several years. They're going to have to address the lightsaber's presence in some capacity, and it's going to have to be done in the film, or the nitpicking will never end.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I just think that if you are a fan and a professional creative involved with coming up with the story, you absolutely give a **** about coming up for a valid rationale. Again, not saying everyone will like it, but take John Knoll's comment on the unofficial ILM motto "we overthink this so you don't have to". They will absolutely have thrashed out the whole saber thing. I have zero doubt of that. There is also zero need for them not to have a good reason why it has to be one and not the other - both Luke's sabers are iconic enough to use whichever one is easiest. The fact they appear to have chosen the Bespin saber indicates to me that they have a specific idea in mind and I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't involve Anakin's links to it as much as Luke's.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    You're absolutely right. The lightsaber will HAVE to be more important than just sentimental value or Sith collecting. Otherwise there would be absolutely no reason to have it. If it IS the Bespin saber, then either:

(a) something important was done to or with it prior to ESB
    or
    (b) Luke did obtain it after ESB (maybe Lando's people got it to him after ROTJ) and Luke did something important to or with it
    or
    (c) It's not the Bespin saber at all and Luke did something important to or with it

Either way, having a lightsaber floating in space and being sought NEEDS to be essential. Otherwise you have a silly notion of a floating lightsaber being found and all the questions that come with it (how it kept moving, how it entered a planet's atmosphere, etc) WITHOUT any good explanation as to why it is even in the movie in the first place. Critics will eat that up in a heartbeat. I can imagine many saying "we waited the entire movie for this silly floating lightsaber to have a purpose and it never did" along with the critics' comments about Luke's appearance.

And it is for that very reason that I fully believe the lightsaber has FAR more significance than just being a sentimental keepsake for Leia to remember her brother. An "AHAH!" moment is absolutely essential!

PymParticles likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It could just be as simple that the force leaves a mark on a saber in a way that might help a force user sense the blade's owner somehow.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    ok... but.. how did luke get that lightsaber back to put the coordinates in it, since its been floating thru space for an age. i'm all ears.

14. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I hope the light saber is something as simple as this belongs to Luke, maybe it's time we search for him again. And the baddies want it because they think a Jedi is nearby. That would be hilariously simple and set folks off.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  15. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rian Johnson moved to London today, fwiw.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I"m really interested in the story behind the Bespin saber. As soon as I saw it in the trailer I was excited by the story prospects.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Stupid as I am I`ve considered the possibility of it getting out of Cloud city the same way Luke did, i.e. getting sucked into that tunnel and out of the wicket and just float, but that doesn`t work since both the Resistance and the First Order are after it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not even trying to explain it in my own mind, I'm just really curious what the TFA explanation will be. It's seems to be important enough that I'm sure there'll be a good one.

Revanfan1, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  19. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Here is my thoughts and theory on Rey and the light saber, just random thoughts for what its worth.

Rey is a junk dealer as she brings in what ever she has salvaged she runs into someone with the light saber, how it was found likely want be explained nor have much meaning other than it was the will of the force. She swaps salvaged parts for the light saber and then through holo-communication contacts Leia (mother, aunt, or even just someone she has heard of) Leia then sends Poe to get the light saber thinking it will help her find Luke. Kylo Ren intercepts the communication, concept art of someone sitting in a cave, tomb. or old castle with Rey in blue light (holo projection). He goes after it as much to get something that the resistance want as anything else. Poe gets captured Han, Chewie, and the new kids (Rey and Finn) go to rescue him. Luke feels the disturbance in the force as someone he loves (possible relative or just an old friend) is in danger from a want to be sith lord. Luke goes and saves the day. Also Kylo Ren isn't yet a sith only a dark side user. Sith requires more than just the use of the darkside. If (and I pray this doesn't happen as I won't see the movie if it does) Kylo Ren kills Han Solo that maybe what pushes him into being an actual sith. I think however it's more than likely going to be a conflict between Ren and Uber, power struggle of sorts that will make Ren become an actual sith thus requiring two more movies to kill off or bring back to the light side.

again just random thoughts.

20. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    You won't watch it if Han dies? I guess you're staying home then. What if it's a great movie? That seems as close-minded as the folks who expect so much from Luke in this movie.

21. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Maybe kenobi did something to the saber between ROTS and ANH. Maybe he knew Luke's destiny would be linked to that saber so it has some tracker on Luke because he knew Luke would need that saber even he didn't survive to give it to him. After all "this weapon is your life"

22. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    What makes me doubt that the lightsaber will float in space at all (other than the obvious physical difficulties of getting it into space) is that both The Resistance and First Order already know where it is. How? Did they track it while it floated? Wouldn`t any spaceship fly faster than a lightsaber floats?

Shadojoker likes this.
  23. darth dariakus

darth dariakus Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2014
    It didn't float in space forever because gravity. If it fell out like Luke did it would have plunged into the planet's core where the heat and air pressure would combine to squash it flat.

I'm at a loss for why people think it fell down a chute and then ended up roaming the vastness of space somehow.

BloodStripe and Dra--- like this.
  24. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    The Force Awakens writing process

[​IMG]

Ben R and Bennihana like this.
  25. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    This is also baffling to me. Perhaps it suggests that science education might be in need of an overhaul. :)

The only explanation that works for me is that the lightsaber didn't fly through the chute (that was just Hamill's hand), landed at the bottom of the shaft, and was picked up by someone at some point.

Millennium Fairlane and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.