main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I was being facetious.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  2. DarkSpooler

DarkSpooler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2015
    As long as he restored the Jedi order, then I'm fine with him turning evil.

3. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    let's say Even If I get on board with Order 66: Part Deux and Luke in exile(Not likely to Happen), and the general assumptions based from MSW.....

I still got a problem with that ending....

If It's true that it's become a Cold War Esque state post ROTJ....with Leia unofficially still waging war with the First Order in space outside of the New Republics territory.....And the events of TFA lead to a Clone Wars sized clash again.....

Then I want shots of both sides (New Republic) Vs (Ex-Imperial States) mobilizing and gearing up for this renewed all out fight.....and I want Luke coming back to Leia and reassuring her she's not going to fight this one alone....

Having Luke and Leia's first reunion be off screen between episode 7-8 would be another blasphemy on top of the already massive one from Order 66: Part Deux. IMO

4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It's funny to feel the contrast between how excited I get by watching the trailers and how sceptical I become when reading MSW's info/leaks. We have a description of the plot now and there are still so many things that don't make sense or are presented in a way that isn't very believable. Of course, every movie has plot holes or inconsistensies, but I hope (hope, hope) that TFA doesn't have too many or too big ones and that I am just being overly cynical.

5. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
  6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes, this is also one of the things that I don't understand. Ok Luke has limited screentime, ok maybe even no big 3 together on screen, but not even a scene with his sister in this movie? He turned to the dark side for a short moment in ROTJ to protect her and now Leia doesn't care to see her long lost brother? :confused:

So if Rey is his niece, this ending scene is a waste sadly. Only if Rey is his daughter, the ending scene may have some sense. [face_dunno]

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Daaad? You said I'd get to fly the Falcon one day! Who are these interlopers?

That's it. I'm starting my own evil Empire. With blackjack. And Stormtroopers.

starocean90 and Seeher like this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why would you shoehorn in a scene of Luke with Leia if it's not a necessary part of story? This thinking is exactly what people complain about when they mention fan service and the bad side of nostalgia's effect on storytelling.

JJ: "Hey Larry, Luke and Leia are totally separated by incredible distance, but let's write in some scene where they hug."

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    You mean Luke comforting her after the loss of Han and reassuring her that they try everything to redeem her son would not be important for the story? [face_dunno]

These were the kind of moments that made the OT so special, but I guess today we need 9000 explosions instead. [face_sigh]

10. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014

You mean after her estranged love was just killed by what seems to be there son? I mean what other family does she have? Why not?

11. Captain Phasma

Captain Phasma Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2015
    This quote from JJ is very, very reassuring, imo:

12. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If Han goes out with a bang by doing something heroic before he dies isn't that just as much an example of fan service?

13. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    How do you know that he has flaws and failures? Except for the fact that we know he accepts a lightsaber at the end of the film and seems to be grieving in the flashback, we know absolutely nothing about Luke and what he is like and what he has been up to.

And, if Luke is just handed a lightsaber at the end of the film, I wouldn't say he actually HAS a role in the film, so I can't see what there is to be "excited about" in regard to Luke's lack of a role.

appleseed and starocean90 like this.
  14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't mind discussion of Luke's role in TFA, but the cyclical arguments that dominate the thread, to the detriment of actual new content, are disheartening. People seem to be talking past each, and two days of reportage of new information and confirmation of old rumors is virtually suffocated by the repetition of the same old talking points.

Honestly, at this point the thread should be renamed "The Same Old Rumors About That One Character Depository."

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

This could be said about almost every character thread at this point, but I agree:

"The Same Old Rumors About That One Character Depository - TM" ;)

16. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    This ain't about Luke. This is Rey's show.

Melbournelad, Dra--- and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    The OT wasn't about Obi-wan or Yoda either, I guess you can say then. However, both played very important and necessary roles. I believe that the same should be true for Luke. I really just don't understand this desire of some people to just throw Luke away like a piece of trash... Out with the old and in with the new... Is that ALL you care about? Then poor Rey, Poe, and Finn will be the trash after this trilogy too?

18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Am I nuts for thinking that Maz's castle and the Rebel base are on the same planet? There seems to be no indication of the characters traveling between two planets here. The chronology, as it stands, abruptly jumps between Maz's castle and the base. Also, the Rebel base is referred to as Pirates Cove, is it not?

Lastly, there appears to be something like a castle in the distance in this concept art. See the right hand side of the image, above the Falcon.

[​IMG]

vagabondarts likes this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Except no one is suggesting we need 9,000 explosions. We have small, tender character moments that we know are in the film. Finn consoling Han over Kylo Ren is one of them, Rey reaction emotionally when she sees the forrest planet after a lifetime of living in a desert wasteland is another. You can't just shoehorn emotion into a film, it needs to be natural. There's no reason for Luke to show up just for the sole sake of comforting Leia.

20. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Nope, I care about a good story. That's the only expectation I have. If JJ can accomplish that with Jar Jar as the lead then cool.

Revanfan1, Dra--- and PymParticles like this.
  21. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014

Yoda wasn't in ANH and had once scene in ROTJ, but yes, i agree, both played very important and necessary roles, so will Luke.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't understand at all the complaints the same people that sell that the entire movie revolves around the search for Luke are the ones that seem annoyed with the constant talk of Luke. With how his Old Lightsaber supposedly leads to Luke's current location, you do realize a lightsaber that supposedly has Luke's coordinates and that starts off the entire movie, it's all major stuff not minor. To understand this whole Luke scenario it's all important to the story, after all these movies are about the force (and even more with a title like Force Awakens) and Rey's story leads her to Luke anyways, so her future is Luke. Trying to get a better understanding or speculating about what happened to Luke and the factoring of the lightsaber is the key to getting a better understanding of the movie/story, in my opinion anyways.:)

23. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Well this is the reality of the situation....when they choose to set these stories still in the OT3s era. If they wanted it to be all about Rey then they could have done it. They chose to include Luke,Han,Leia in this and Im going to have an opinion on how they are used and the type of story theyre in.

24. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Nice try. Your opinion is solely driven by a singular desire for Luke to be the man.

Melbournelad, Darth Haggai and Dra--- like this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Nice Try but your post is solely driven by a singular desire to shut out every post about Luke.:rolleyes:
    Like I've told you a million times before, I say what I want to say when I want to say it.:)

ChildOfWinds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.