main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    All Luke all the time.

Melbournelad, Darth Haggai and Dra--- like this.
  2. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Geez. Are you serious?

crave_24, nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  3. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Hang around a while, you'll eventually get tired of the incessant whining.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    His absence in the story is his role. I know some don't like to hear that and I expect to hear from them but I think it's a great piece of storytelling if it plays out the way the rumors seem to suggest. Luke is the savior of the galaxy but what happens when the savior is gone. Old and new heroes (and probably the audience too) alike are waiting for Luke to sweep in and save the day again but he doesn't. He doesn't come this time. These new heroes find out that they're on their own with no savior coming to save their necks and that it's their own strength that will get them through to the end. Once they've done that then the master appears to get them ready for the greater battle.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    nightangel: Nice strawman about explosions. Actually tons of strawmen being trotted out by the Lukes.

For example, no one is saying don't discuss Luke or speculate about Luke. But what's so annoying and baiting/trolling IMO is using the excuse of speculation as a mask for complaining that Luke isn't the lead or doing exactly what you think he should be doing according to your own personal canon. Speculation is not the same as complaining and whining.

It's legitimate to say you don't think something is a good idea, but to say you hate it over and over again isn't speculation, is it? So let's be honest about what happens in this thread/forum. Bashing the ST and JJ is the tacit norm.

I'm not against fan service and nostalgia as long as it fits with Story. Han dying for instance has always been an interesting possibility for his arc. But when we have all this physical distance between Luke and Leia, somehow bringing them together in this film for a hug seems way too unbelievable. However, we can probably expect such a moment at some point in the ST; it doesn't need to happen in this film -- in fact, it not happening in this film builds desire for it to happen later, which is good for the story. And truly we have no certainty that they don't have a moment in TFA, perhaps through their Force connection. The rumors only suggest they don't. Either way, it's not bad storytelling to not have a moment in this film: it depends on the logistics of this particular story.

As I've stated before (sadly), what the Lukes seem to be desiring is a film that takes place directly aftert ROTJ. But George Lucas decided not to make those films. What most are complaining about is something that is impossible to correct. So why complain? Instead, call for a Luke animated film in another thread.

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    So since people still only want to discuss Luke I figured out would give some thought I have had lately. As usual, this is pure speculation, but unlike the dooms ayers I am assuming there is real story telling logic for luke's disappearance, and the people behind this film are not incompetent.

I am wondering if Luke's absence plays a role in the cold war we keep hearing about. Loken back at some of the old rumors. One was Luke being stuck due to a super weapon trigger of sorts. What if Luke's presence was escalating a cold war into real chaos and bloodshed? I would imagine many in the galaxy would still be incredibly cautious about jedi.

What if Luke removed himself from the equation in order to avoid full out war. Now I still think he will be playing a very active role behind the scenes, but being in the spotlight might have been causing more danger to others.

It sort of like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen. His presence and alliance with America was building a cold war into full war due to the tensions involved from his mere existence.

Blazer-Smith, Seeher and Dra--- like this.
  7. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Guess they were better off making TFA a two hour "cut em up" 2008 Rambo esque movie about Luke just kicking ass and taking names.

8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    nobody is complaining about Luke not being a lead don't know where that came from.o_O
    honestly nobody has complained or whined about Luke in a long time it just seems like all the people that are either OK/accepting of everything the RUMORS gives us about Luke or are indifferent that keep saying that to make the ones not happy or critical look bad.[face_laugh]

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Not going to lie I want see Luke cut loose. Suppose to be the strongest Jedi in History, Damn Right I want see him cut loose just once and deliver on that Promise. Obviously the New Heroes have to save the day but there is no reason Luke cant do a Gandalf v Balrog with Uber or something.

nightangel and obi_kenobi_24 like this.
  10. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    That's not true. Last night was all Luke whinage on here. Go read it.

11. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Is he the most powerful though? I am fine if he is, but we do not know if this is the case yet.

Melbournelad and Dra--- like this.
  12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    there was no whinage not even close, discussing Luke and even if a post had worry/doubts about Luke that's still not whinage, just seems to me like that's what people are purposefully writing to make others look bad.:rolleyes:

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Luke is far too important to the franchise to do whatever nightmare scenarios those concerned imagine the Story Group might do to his character. Whether it be 'disrespect' or some other indignity, whatever they decide to do will most assuredly be considered and measured. In terms of STAR WARS, Lucasfilm is not going to intentionally destroy its founding legacy. Believing they would purposely disassemble Luke seems similar to believing a conspiracy exists on the part of Lucasfilm/Disney to dismantle the dream theories of some folks post-RoTJ Luke fantasies. Apologies for blind faith, but I can foresee Luke continuing to be exceptional within the context of the ST, and as a result, the STAR WARS Saga as a whole. In my view the narrative of The Force Awakens is far too circumscribed to include Luke, whose part is far more integral to a wider saga story. It appears to be a lack of patience at the unfolding narrative and the unwillingness to practice restraint in judgement at the heart of those 'concerned' about Luke's fate. Getting to the 'meat' of the story, which involves Luke in the broader conflict, will take time. Patience is necessary. But none of what I say will help so what's the point?

14. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    If we are going g to talk about Luke could we at least make it productive rather than talking about people talking about people who talk about Luke. Whether you are whining about people who whine about Luke, or whine about people whining it is still getting to be an incredibly old cycle.

Anyway, on towards real discussion. How missed would Luke be through the galaxy I wonder. Would his exploits be well known, or even exaggerated?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. iluvkoalas

iluvkoalas Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    No conspiracy, but I think that fans' concerns are justified after hearing the rumors. Fans' want the character to be respected and their wishes after 30 years to be as well. :)

16. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    And not just this thread. This subject is brought up in so many of the threads on this board that sometimes I think some people get paid for each time they work Luke into a conversation. I just don't understand it. There are 3 movies that Luke is the protagonist in. If you really need to see him that badly, go watch one of those. If you're like me, you probably own many different copies of many different releases of those movies. In those movies you can see Luke make his place in the history of the GFFA by bringing down the Sith lord who had destroyed the Republic and made life miserable for most of the galactic citizenry. That was Luke's story, and we were lucky to get to see it told in three pretty darn good movies. Now it'time to see the story of somebody else who will step up and right the wrongs in the galaxy. Relax, sit back, and enjoy watching their story. You might even like it. Hell, you might even get to see Luke take up a bunch of screen time in the next two episodes. You never know.

Blazer-Smith, Dra--- and Darth Haggai like this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I was not whining about anybody just saying people need to stop the exaggeration.[face_batting]

it depends maybe the First Order sees Luke as either an enemy for what he did to Vader/Palpatine or he was censored out.
    It's actually hard to tell and it would help tremendously to know at what time did Luke disappear between VI and VII, which could make the speculation a bit easier.[face_thinking]

nightangel likes this.
  18. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    I'd guess almost no one understands what actually happened. The population would just get rumors that the Emperor and Vader are dead. Wasn't there a new EU book description that hinted in this direction?

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Enough with the Luke battles, on both sides. People are welcome to their opinions about the current rumors, so no attacking people for that. But on the other hand, there is no need to drag this general rumors thread (and other threads) off-topic repeatedly with those concerns. Yes, this thread is for discussing rumors, and rumors about Luke are included in that... but there is also a Luke thread. This thread is supposed to be able to host other rumor discussions too.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    This is how I feel. The trailers and pictures get me excited and then the spoilers bring me down.

21. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    That is a good point. I think the Aftermath description does allude to the general confusion. Will the rumors be that Luke single handedly killed both though, or will his name be largely absent? I think the answer to that could say a lot to the general nature of the galaxy by the time is TFA.

22. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    starocean90 I agree with Blazer he is not exaggerating. I had people call me a blind follower, cult like, and some people sling mud at MSW just to try to discredit him. That comes directly from people who are upset or disagree with the Luke rumors. When the conversation spirals in that direction it reads like a page of complaints. People try to speculate then get greeted with, that doesn't make sense why would Luke hide like a coward. The people on the fence say he guys lets see how the movie turns out, they get responses like don't tell me I can't be skeptical. Lets be honest find me a post where someone gushes about Luke not being in the movie. I do not read a post daily that reads like, I cant wait to see TFA thank God Luke has less screen time. Everyday there is a post stating, If Luke does not get screen time TFA will suck or I will hate it. That post is on this board daily like clockwork! The exaggerations come from the people disappointed about the current Luke rumors, if anything the people on the fence have tried to joke about it and say don't worry so much it might be good. I know that both points of view does get out of hand some times but the truth is the majority of the time it comes from the Luke cameo crowd. ALL OF US can have an opinion and speculate but do we have to have the Luke is a coward and Finn has no skills conversation everyday?

HanSolo29 and Dra--- like this.
  23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm actually HAPPY that Luke doesn't get too much screentime, that Han will be killed off and eventually Leia will fade into the background too.

If I wanted to watch the OT I have the Blurays at home, give me something new fresh and exciting.

Dra--- and Darth Haggai like this.
  24. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    That is cool. I would like to see Luke some more but Im willing to see how it plays out.

Darth Haggai likes this.
  25. DarkSpooler

DarkSpooler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2015
    Rumor has it like will appear in the end?

Hope so, as long as he's the protagonist in the other two, and the one to bring peace again by killing kylo and uber, then we should all be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.