main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If I may add another?

Why did not Luke send Han and Leia a message before chasing Uber across the Galaxy?

Answering my own question, maybe Luke's comms were out of action or blocked and only when he was left on the island did he fashion a means to write a message on the lightsabre and then somehow get it off the planet? That would be one heck of a Force Throw...

nightangel and I know like this.
  2. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    March is going to be the longest month of 2015, I'm sure of it.

31 days. Not 30, or 28 - thirty one.

What are the chances J.J. and Co. decide to throw us a bone in March? I'd say about 3% right now but could be higher.

3. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Many thoughts, just going to jot them down -- I'm going to make it colorful just to mix things up. I ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO FOLLOW SUIT. But in your own way. Anyway, on to the questions!

1 - Do we know who "The Seven" are? Are they Imperials led by Gwendoline Christy's silver trooper? Bounty Hunters? Or does it refer to Kylo Ren and his posse or something? I'm just kind of confused here and fear I may have missed some details.

2 - Doesn't Kylo Ren have to be, well, scary? What I mean is . . . one of the huge appeals of Darth Vader is that he's kind of like this specter or ghost or just...an unholy freak or something. That's the way I've always felt anyway. There's something mysterious and just imposing and menacing as hell about him. Are they going to make Kylo Ren as compelling a character?

3 - What about the uber sith? Is he a sith? Do we know for sure? Just what exactly do we know about him? There's some rumor that claims he's kind of undead. Is that confirmed or anything?

4 - What's the atmosphere in the GalaxyFarFarAway, geopolitically, militarily? I guess this is my way of asking--is the Empire still dominating? How did everything shake-down during the last 30 years? Is it as simple as there was a bad dude (Ubersith?) watching everything from the outside, just waiting in the background as Palpatine and Vader bit the dust? It can't be that this Uber-sith just took over the Empire. It appears his connection to the Empire is solely through Kylo Ren. And then that raises the question: how is Kylo Ren connected to the Empire? Did he join up as a cadet? Or did he just take a 1st-in-command role by killing and threatening people? I just don't get it....what do we know?

4. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I can try and answer the second one as shortly as possible - Adam Driver is a great actor, so my trust is complete when it comes to that aspect of Kylo Ren - emotional believability. And every time I decide to re-watch the teaser, his short appearance makes me, well, uneasy.

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If I was JJ, I'd find time to shoot a ludicrous short trailer for April's Fools, just to mess with everyone's heads and see how much people overreact and jump to conclusions before figuring out what date it is.

6. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Spoilerman predicted February would see a slew of rumors and misinformation. He was on the money.

T-R- likes this.
  7. Aiden Skywalker

Aiden Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Here's hoping most of these are exactly that: rumors and midinformation.

8. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Not to mention MSW is also poaching from Spoilerman. And he has contradicted himself dozens of times. He's either just addicted to clicks or returning a favor to lucasfilm.

Aiden Skywalker likes this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The thing is that this is just a tease... we know that there's going to be fighting, we know there's going to be lightsabre duels. So I personally see the notion of Luke exiling himself as a very 'forced' (excuse the pun) and extremely contrived way of just taking Luke out of the story... because IF Luke did go into exile to remove himself from conflict/warfare, it won't carry through the narrative... as we all know that the story will be resolved through conflict/battles etc.

10. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Unless his exile served another purpose. Like guarding a Sith tomb.

Oh wait, but that plot point no longer exists....

El Jedi Colombiano and Darth PJ like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Vader and the Emperor kept telling Luke his destiny was to fall to the darkside... That didn't happen. I'd imagine Luke doesn't have that much confidence in the notion of destiny, otherwise why even send his lightsabre anywhere right?

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, what hero ever trusts the villain? Also, huge difference from being told your destiny, and sensing/ having a vision of your own.

Also, we still don't know how or why the saber has come into the story. We're not even certain it is Luke's.

13. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    If Kylo Ren and Rey are both Solos, I predict a new "I know there is still good in you" moment with both Kylo Ren and Rey fighting Uber in the final part of IX.

14. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    with these rumors, I doubt there is any room for Gleeson's skywalker rumor.

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    If Kylo is a Solo, I wonder if we might see that kind of moment at the end of TFA. Han pleads with his son to stop the madness. Kylo murders Han.

Now we have a villain we know means business.

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    We all trying to create a bit of narrative context for some of these rumours/spoilers, but if you look at Abrams films, they are not packed with subtext and plotting complexity. I guarantee it now that if, for example, Luke is stuck on a planet somewhere, context will be scant. Just like why Kirk felt compelled to join Starfleet or that Nathan Hunt was married and leads a double life. Things just kind of 'are' in JJ's films... so anyone thinking that all the reasoning and context will be 'present and correct' in the movies... well I don't think that's Abrams modus operandi (certainly not in terms of complex narrative and storytelling).

17. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    MSW is on pause over weekends right? Next update in March.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    If I was the most powerful force user in the history of the galaxy, I might, you know, use telepathy to contact my force sensitive twin sister and tell her where i'm at. Or talk to the force ghosts of dad, yoda, or ben and ask them to relay the message.

Personally, I think the rumors are false and Luke has some other scenes during the movie and that this end scene is Rey going to Luke's secret Academy for training. Movie doesn't end with her handing Luke a lightsaber but them walking into one of the buildings and seeing more students. There's the triumphant ending

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Curious where you see the subtext and complexity in ANH, PJ?

Kirk has plenty of reason to join star fleet btw.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It's not the same thing as ANH is creating the characters and situations from the ground up. There's clearly less requirement, for example, to explain why Luke should be on Tatooine in ANH as to why he's at location X in TFA. I thought that would have been obvious Satipo? ;)

Besides, I think ANH is infinitely better at establishing the characters and situations than ANY Abrams movie... regardless of ANH's linear and relatively simple approach... wouldn't you agree? And the thing is, I don't think any of the Star Wars films are particularly narratively complex (although there's quite a bit of subtext), which is why the progression of story and character in SW is more natural. I find Abrams movies pretend to be more complex on the surface, but there's little going on underneath, which is why (for me) I never get that much sense of character motivation etc. in his movies. Ultimately, what I'm stating is that you have probably created more logical context for some of these plot points/rumours than what will actually be in the films. I think we care more about the 'wider context' than Abrams... I think that's evident in his films (in my opinion of course).

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think you don't rate JJ and so everything is viewed through that bias, which is fair enough, as you pointed out, my benefit of the doubt is just as biased for want of a better term and I would be as cautious/ pessimistic if George were writing and directing this time out

TK327 and The Hellhammer like this.
  22. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    ...Kasdan exists.

Satipo and TheLateAdmiralPiett like this.
  23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm really getting to the point that when I read synopses from people like DarthBlightley and DarthMalevenous (kudos to you guys and others) I get excited at first but realize that they are from created by creative posters and speculation. Then reality hits and I realize that, believe it or not, JJ and LK may not even be as creative or the story just may not be as interesting as what some of our own posters can come up with.

starocean90 likes this.
  24. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    They have to be even more creative. It's a machinery unlike any other out there. But even such sophisticated device needs to run on something palpable. If you look at J.J's filmography one thing you can't complain about - acting, humanity, emotion. Add Kasdan, who is more than familiar with the franchise, several months of brainstorming, calculating, re-developing and building upon SW legacy... you won't be getting anything less than memorable experience at the movies come December. Whether that experience will last in your head for years to come, it's up to multiple factors that are beyond just their storytelling ideas, and we can't even analyze those since there's nothing to analyze right now. There is only wait, and fingers crossed.

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I'm sorry, and say this as a writer myself, anyone who thinks we on here should be in charge of TFA or that we'll come up with something better is crazy. After the film is out, It's a little different, as coming up with "improvements" and "fixes" on an existing work is a lot easier than coming up with the whole thing in the first place.

Also, JJ was not on his own on this one. We've Ardnt's work, JJ and LK, KK and people like Kinberg, Filoni and even Rian Johnson have had input into the development of VII.

I'm not the biggest JJ fan, and I think ST2 was hugely flawed, but I do think he has great strengths that will set him well for SW - cast, performances, fun, energy and humanity (imo). Plus, to suggest this guy will go with a "just because" attitude on TFA seems to wilfully ignore everything the man himself has said in the matter. The fact the script delays pushed the film to December indicate a man well aware of the huge pressure and expectation who wants to get this right. We'll see if he's managed that come December, but so far for me at least the brief glimpses of officially released material have me hugely optimistic that he and the team have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.