main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Agreed. Abrams is building The Force Awakens right now, as we speak. Every movie is essentially created in the editing room. Who knows what's it gonna be in the end? They can hope, they have all the necessary tools, actors and producers, set builders... they all did their job. Now it's time to put the final touches, with the help of ILM folks, John Williams, editors etc. They're going to earn their medal, tweak by tweak... and I highly doubt such huge effort could collapse unto itself, too many factors at risk and Abrams is the last guy who wants to say 'I did it! I ****ed it up even after TPM! It's my fault.' He's sweating and pouring his soul into this, I'm sure of it.

2. Big Jim Slade

Big Jim Slade Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2014
    >>Agreed. Abrams is buildingThe Force Awakens right now, as we speak. Every movie is essentially created in the editing room. Who knows what's it gonna be in the end? They can hope, they have all the necessary tools, actors and producers, set builders... they all did their job. Now it's time to put the final touches, with the help of ILM folks, John Williams, editors etc. They're going to earn their medal, tweak by tweak... and I highly doubt such huge effort could collapse unto itself, too many factors at risk and Abrams is the last guy who wants to say 'I did it! I ****ed it up even after TPM! It's my fault.' He's sweating and pouring his soul into this, I'm sure of it.[/quote]

[​IMG]

3. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    I think there's an even cleaner way to make this work that cuts out just about all the coincidences required for Han Solo/The Falcon to just happen to be the same village Rey is living in at the start of the film...

Rose rescues a very young Rey (say 4-6 years old vs. Ren's 10-14) from the massacre (while Kylo is taken by Uber) and, knowing who her parents are, returns Rey to Han and Leia. Due a combination of needing to keep Rey safe, the presumed death of their son and/or Leia putting her duties before family, Han and Leia split and Han takes Rey with him to Tattooine (because that's where all his old business contacts were located) and ultimately ends up owning a salvage company along with Chewie and MVS and which Rey helps out at (basically Zuckess' theory). Rey is too young to have any real memories of this. She might know that her brother died and that's why her folks split up, but not too much more.

Then bad stuff related to the Force happens. Han is off-world (because the salvage was too big to fit in the Falcon... or the Falcon has been mothballed because they're hiding and its too obvious who it belongs to) so Rey flies the Falcon to meet up with her dad (because he'd know what to do) on the giant freighter. Then they all head out to the only person Han knows of who might have some clue about this lightsaber/where Luke could be hiding/Force-related stuff and that would be Rose.

Rose then recognizes Rey all grown up and shares the vision, which sparks Rey's memories and possibly reveals that the guy who's after them is actually her not-so-dead brother and, after escaping him again then they head to see Leia (because Ren being alive is the sort of news you immediately tell someone's mother) and this also sets Han's tragic end because instead of trying to kill Ren when he has the chance, he instead tries to reason with his son and get him to come home... only for Ren to kill him.

That's the sort of straight-forward we typically see in a Star Wars film. One that requires minimal exposition and sets Rey up as having led a relatively normal, if imperfect, life (a broken home where they're just barely making ends meet) that is far more everyman than being an orphan who grew up on the streets of some desert world city and yet still connects her to the fantastic via events that happened when she was very young and are now coming home to roost.

----------------

Now we just need to tie the super-weapon plot into this arrangement. Having Kylo Ren start without the broadsaber and making it the key to operate some ancient Sith super-weapon that will shift the balance of power is probably one of the stronger bits. It explains how both BB-8 and Rose happen to have a saber (its two different ones) and why Rey is repulsed by the saber Rose presents and why Kylo is hunting all over the galaxy for Sith relics. Kylo finally finding the key (likely over Rose's dead body) also acts as the second act crisis point... the event which puts a countdown timer onto the third act where they need to Kylo from using the key before its too late (just as the Rebels only had limited time before the Death Star could fire on Yavin and the Rebels had to strike before the second Death Star was fully operational and impervious to attack).

Kylo dropping Luke's old saber near where he knows his sister is and then sending in troops to stoke the fire so that Rey and/or Han will be motivated to flush out any remaining Jedi contacts who might know where the broadsaber/key is, coupled with the above scenario would basically annihilate every seeming coincidence we know of in the film's structure at this point.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  4. Big Jim Slade

Oct 9, 2014

[​IMG][/quote]

Post-production is where the light and magic happen. Some of these theories about the plot are nice, but they are way too complicated and sound like fan fiction meets Chutes an Ladders. The story will be reduced to its key, essential, elements--- a clear through line aided by stunning visuals and propulsive action. This is gonna be a state of the art, well executed, blockbuster-- not a 19th Century novel put to screen with complicated familial relations, kidnapped children, etc. that is gonna need tons of exposition. For this movie to truly work, it will have to work for people coming to Star Wars for the first time.

5. Big Jim Slade

Oct 9, 2014
    >>

Perfectly stated. I'm with you, brother.

Satipo likes this.
  6. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    I mean when you look at Episode IV: A New Hope... first time it was just Star Wars, and it worked precisely because it was not trying to be something exhausting and yet that particular movie still gave you that palpable feeling of grandiose, of adventure and humanity with a touch of humor, romance and friendship above all.
    Now, of course, this is a totally different climate we're talking about, fans of the old, new and both worlds clashing and trying to make sense out of everything, everyone with their own preconception in head, when in reality all TFA needs to be is as simple as possible - pure cinematic experience. We're talking perfect balance of all previously mentioned factors, so when it all comes through your neurons, audio-visual feast, in light-multiplex-speed, it doesn't feel forced, or questionable, it feels right. If you survive all the way until (supposedly, hey) that Luke sequence right at the end without overthinking their choices, if they manage to elevate your heartbeat and make you want mooore - it'll mean their job was done right.

Satipo likes this.
  7. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Satipo wrote:

I wouldn't go that far!

I think fans are capable of suggesting alternate storylines to push the saga forward. The most obvious scenario would be an all new enemy, and the Sith/Empire left alone for a few episodes. For example: the Sith return in ep 9.

A new enemy would give the franchise a new feel, give the writers, concept designers and CGI artists new material, new ideas. I accept a new villain comes with risk. Many fans may want 'more of the same'. A new non-Sith villain may not turn out to be as memorable as Vader and Sidious.

Here are two alternative approaches to ep 7:

Storyline premise 1:

Storyline premise 2:

I'm not saying these ideas are a better way to do ep 7 but I think they are doable alternative ways.

8. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    ^ Yeah but that's like saying look I have something better then Coca-Cola... so you mix something in your garage and give me a half-product.

I want my original flavor, my original bubbles and my original taste of Coca-Cola, which is why it's natural to prefer official stuff over fan fiction.

Ironically, these days even some of the fanfic manages to make the big bucks... but that's a completely different story.

Satipo likes this.
  9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    a very good question, 7 who can beat Luke appear from out of nowhere? [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here. However, that "film" supposedly takes place between ROTJ and TFA's opening crawl.

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wonder if Uber really is the big bad of the ST, The Seven must be very powerful if they can force Luke into exile [face_thinking]

12. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    So much WORD to this. Star Wars stories are so 'universal' precisely because they're so straightforward and uncomplicated. Another thing worth remembering too is that Star Wars movies are FUN, not dark and twisted. Even RotS had sight gags and lighter moments interspersed into the story (albeit mostly in the first act and none that I can think of in the third).

The villains want the location of the Rebel Base or to capture Luke Skywalker or to lead the Rebels into a trap and turn Luke to the dark side or to manipulate events to get himself elected chancellor and eventually Emperor.

The heroes are an idealistic farmboy who learns his father was a fallen hero... or a princess... or a smuggler with a heart of tarnished gold... or a young boy spoken of in prophecy... a queen... and the noblest of the knights.

One big twist per act is about the most we're going to see out of this film and they will probably be escalating in nature... Rey is Han's daughter will probably be a relatively minor twist, known to everyone except our viewpoint character Finn and played more for laughs than for drama during the back-half of act one. Ren is Han's son and Rey's brother will a game changer heading into act three that will shape the nature of the battle with him in act three (and probably lead to Han's death) and it will likely be played for shock and drama. Luke Skywalker actually being alive will be likely the final twist and be set up as a beacon of hope after the darkness in the third act.

That's the main reason I really do not buy a lot of the rumors/spec and suspect that MSW is probably over-complicating the plot because he has this mountain of information on hand and, rather than shave it down to a manageable story like any good editor is able to do, he's basically having to report everything as if its all going to be in the final film (because he has almost no idea what they will or won't cut out). My suspicion is that at least half the stuff he's telling us will be in the film is going to end up on the cutting room floor when its all said and done (and that he's still missing some critical pieces because I simply do not buy Luke in a single coda scene and maybe some flashbacks*).

* Okay, I COULD see it, but only if we get recurring Force-weirdness from out of nowhere helping the heroes culminating with Rey hearing Luke's voice at the climax (showing us that, even if he's trapped on the other side of the galaxy, he's still trying to help as best he can) and/or when Rey finally shows up to find Luke we see a dozen other Jedi emerge with him indicating that he's actually been busy training Jedi in secret all this time to finally confront the villains who destroyed his previous publicly-known Academy (which would still be a coda/teaser for Ep VIII, but would at least give the impression that he's been doing something productive all this time... and if they really wanted to make Luke fans happy, they could also show him waiting for Rey to arrive with a 40-ish wife and a 2-3 year old son... too young to be the hero of THIS trilogy, but ensuring there could still be a Skywalker protagonist for future trilogies).

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It's not impossible some good ideas get floated, no, but on the whole, fans tend to be arm chair experts with little appreciation for how to actually construct and create a satisfying work in its entirety.

Also you may like the sound of those alternatives, as would others, but many others will think what we seem to be getting sounds better. One thing is for certain, there is no pleasing everyone.

We'll only truly be able judge the basic storyline once we know the basic official storyline. Right next we don't have a premise, a full beat sheet or a synopsis. What we have are some rumours, some basic out of context spoilers and a whole heap of conflicting speculation.

sizziano likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. On both counts. The last thing we should ever want is a fan-scripted film based on years of action figure playing and Halloween costuming expertise. The one saving grace about the current rumors is that it seems almost designed to unite PT gushers & bashers alike. "Star Wars Episode VII... the film absolutely nobody had actually been hoping for...". Which might just work.

thejeditraitor, nalkwan and m4st4 like this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ha, well I'd like to form a new faction - I have a good feeling about TFA and based on what little we've seen and heard I think we'll get something really good.

16. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Put me under 'I have a good feeling' even if I can't connect all of it in my brain right now. Why would I handicap my excitement this early in the game when the best is yet to come? So you can expect more positive thoughts from this side as well. [face_coffee]

DarthLightlyBruise and Satipo like this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    but isn't JJ a fan and involved in writing the script so VII is actually a fan-scripted movie anyways.[face_whistling][face_devil]

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm part of that team, as well. I just kinda appreciate a plot that absolutely nobody... ever... had been looking forward to. I trust the filmmakers to pull it off well but a sequel to Return of the Jedi that could potentially be what these rumors are pointing toward was certainly not any fan's interpretation of events.

19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I like the basic broad strokes we're hearing, I'll put down things that add up or sound off at this stage to the nature of the spoiler game and hope April and other official releases shed a bit more light on things. The only official looks I've had at the film, I've loved so I have no beef with anything the production as delivered so far. If the film fails to deliver I'll start crying then.

I actually like that they don't see to have taken the predictable route.

No happy family big three. No glorious Republic. No new Jedi Order. The Empire still a force in the galaxy.

I love it the idea of all that. Now let's see/ hope they nail the execution.

20. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Now that's just blatant trolling. With a double-whammy of stickers on the side.

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    so saying the truth, while joking is trolling.:rolleyes:

Myself656, nalkwan and nightangel like this.
  22. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    That sticker dou... [face_skull]

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    what is sticker dou???:confused:

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Exactly. The official stuff has been flawless, IMO. The few things that make me want to punch a dolphin in its blowhole are, blessedly, still highly possible to be rendered inaccurate.

T-R-, nalkwan and Satipo like this.
  25. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.