main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I was under the impression that Star Wars has already gotten past the "one climate per planet" rule. Naboo has a water core. Alderaan looks far too mountainous to be one climate. There's that "bridge" planet seen during Order 66, and Felucia as well, though those brief glimpses are just that: brief.

We've also already seen a couple other deserts: Utapau and Geonosis.

2. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Hhhahahaha reminds me of those Dagonah rumours 15 years ago!

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    2 come to mind. The snowy planet where Ki Adi Mundi is killed is Mygeeto. Plo Koon was killed on Cato Nemoidia. Pretty sure you're thinking of Mygeeto.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Utapau is a desert??

I also wanted to put my two cents into the remake debate. I think there are too many essential elements to a Star Wars movie that make it unique to successfully remake it. Part of the appeal is the specific designs that went into each movie. Having said that, the fact that it's a vast galaxy in which to explore new stories is a silly argument against a remake. It's kind of like arguing against a remake of Cape Fear, because there are so many other stories you could set on the same riverbank.

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Never understand that one. We saw a very different side of Tatooine that no one could have imagined existed in 77 on top of that TPM alone expanded the universe to epic levels never seen or felt in the OT which was only the start. Naboo then Coruscant then Kamino then more sides of the other places as well as Geonosis further to Utapau, Mustafar, Kashyyyk and all the other places briefly seen in ROTS.

6. Darth Pizza

Darth Pizza Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 15, 2014
    Isn't one rumor that one of the baddies is "collecting" things from Luke's and/or Darth's past? If that's true, then it's logical that this is Tatooine and that the remains of Luke's and/or Ben's homesteads might be a part of the story for the sake of the weird-o collecting the artifacts.

robbman21 likes this.
  7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    At one point I even wondered if Shmi's grave might be a target for the villain, but then I realised that was probably a bit grim for SW.

VMeran, Darth PJ, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It was already rolled over by the jawas' sandcrawler anyway. :p

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Well now I just hope the grave was symbolic and that they cremated her...... in the family tradition.

VMeran and Satipo like this.
  10. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Has anyone mentioned that the sand planet in reference to the trailer.. could it be Morriban?

Morriban (Korriban) is suppose to be a desert like planet, the ancient home of the sith.. but the sith (Yoda went there in the Clone Wars Season 6) was largely abandoned? We didn't get to see much of it.. but maybe.. that is were Rey and Finn are?

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or maybe Mustafar?

12. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I should say, I agree with you Dion. Its just strange to me that everyone is insisting it isn't behind the scenes. Of course, no one is coming forward with the name of the planet. But a few really trusted friends in the scene and the production are saying all new planets.

But I'm with you. If its that close to Tat, just make it Tat!

VMeran, Revanfan1, Bennihana and 6 others like this.
  13. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    No Coruscant either? Or any previous planet?

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I want all new planets on the whole. But I can understand Tatooine and Coruscant (although I don't think we'll see the latter in TFA).

15. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    As eager as I'm not to continue this discussion, that isn't a very apt comparison. The setting of Star Wars is a huge part of it, and there's already a precedent of telling stories in that universe that aren't directly connected to the main story line. The reason it's a good argument against a remake is that the universe is so rich with potential to keep telling new stories, rather than being tied to a single one. After all, thousands of stories are already told in essentially the same world as Cape Fear, because it's essentially our world.

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I completely agree that lightsabers, the Force, and all the unique things about this particular galaxy make it viable with untapped potential, but all those elements are just dressing. My point was that movies are remade because the stories they tell are classic, not the settings. Others have a drive to tell the same story their way. One parent's version of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears will be told differently than another parent's version, though it's still the same basic story. One production of Hamlet will differ from another.

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    True, but I guess I just think Star Wars is bigger than one story. That story may always be an anchor for the rest to hang on, but over time I think they can move further and further away from it. And the style of Star Wars allows for repetition and variations of themes within separate stories, so rather than remake a story that everyone already knows they can always do something similar with different twists.

18. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    People like to tell stories that are worth telling. The fact that everyone knows them makes no difference in that respect. But I do think a remake is unlikely in the near future, just for a different reason. My reason is because the original telling of these stories caught lightning in a bottle in so many ways, in terms of maximizing the use of the form with the perfect blend of elements. Because of that perfection in form, there's very little left to drive someone to a re-telling. Scorcese utilized the film form much more thoroughly for his Cape Fear than the original did, IMO. The business side of it may be something like "audiences aren't responding to these new films anymore...like remake the old ones". But I intuitively don't see that happening for a while, either.

But, yeah. New rumors...Captain Phasma...Lupita's a blue alien...go!

Mystery Roach and darthmomm like this.
  19. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Here is the thing; we are Star Wars superfans....we want to see all these new things or things even briefly mentioned in the EU....we are an extremely small percentage of the people who are going to see this movie.
    NOT touching on the past will confuse the average viewer, Tatooine is familiar and it will be seen and be a part of the story line. No doubt there will be new planets and the such as well.

As for any idea of a remake, it will never ever happen. We all know what happened when they tried to remake Psycho.....the very idea is stupid, I am sure someone will nix the idea before it gets beyond the internet.

20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, and there's a logical reason why many stories can be told in the Star Wars universe:

It's mythology.

Greek myth, for example, tells numerous tales of different heroes, gods, and families. They can do this because of the kind of world and stories they are.

Star Wars is not Cape Fear; the genetic comparison is all wrong.

And not only is this myth, which allows for countless stories, but it's also myth based in space. So truly there is no limitation here. There's really nothing to limit it, literally neither time nor space.

Mystery Roach and hippie1kenobi like this.
  21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Has that one guy who was backing spoilerguy come back ever since his "proof" was found to be photoshopped?

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    When you say "backing" do you mean "was"?

23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

I dont know I think the average moviegoer can understand the concept of there being more then 1 desert planet in a galaxy

Dra--- likes this.
  24. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Hehe, I remember those times all too well. There was a lot of discussion that the Emperor had a secret lava palace beneath Coruscant and that the final duel in III would take place there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    So beyond all the obvious things like the fake crawl and the fake art, was something else shopped?

Didn't SM claim certain things would happen at specific dates and if so have they not happened as we should expect? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.