main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Any option would still require good execution.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    assuming all the rumors and assumptions about Luke pre-VII are even accurate to begin with.

darthmomm likes this.
  3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Regarding the search for Luke: most people would agree that he appears to have been missing some years. Assuming there is no clue as to which planet or moon he is on, it would be nigh on impossible to find him unless he is broadcasting his presence through the Force; therefore one can reasonably conclude that he is in hiding.

Now it becomes a case of finding the right grain of sand containing Luke in an entire bucket of the stuff. Assuming for argument's sake that the GFFA is your average spiral galaxy, then Luke could be in any one of billions of star systems. The Empire committed huge resources to find a hidden rebel base leading up to the events of ESB; one can only imagine the vast number of systems they searched before they got lucky. Finding a single person, who may be concealing themselves in the Force is probably several orders of magnitude harder.

The game changer of course appears to be the lightsabre which appears to contain information as to his whereabouts. If true, it's reasonable to assume that Luke put that information there. I still think it found its way to Rey in a less random way then would seem (we are missing a vital clue here methinks); Luke wanted her to have it and figure it out, but the events of TFA somewhat complicated things...

4. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Luke is obviously hiding in a planet like Dagobah that is cloaking his presence.
    the whole Bespin lightsaber that leads to Luke seems kinda off with the current rumors.

darthmomm and Blazer-Smith like this.
  5. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm not current on the rumors. How's it obvious? I agree it's unlikely that Luke had a galactic flat tire that left him stranded.

Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  6. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    As you say, I think that this is probably going to be the main theme of the ST.

Establishing a new Jedi Order will be key to Luke's character arc. I also think that the theme will carry through to our new villains, and that The First Order represent the flipside of Luke's struggle. They are engaged in a crusade to bring the philosophy of the Darkside to the galaxy at large. Rather than establishing an elitist sect of two, their aim is a galaxy wide spiritual revolution, with Snoke as the head priest, and Kylo Ren as a messianic figure.

Rather than the battle to bring down a tyranical regime, or the fall of a democracy, we have a struggle of two ideologies, attempting to establish themselves. On one side, The First Order's aggressive expansionism, and Luke on the other.

Dra---, Darth Chiznuk , Rabs and 2 others like this.
  7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well that possible battle won't end well since both ideologies will always exist and will always recruit new people.:p

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  8. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    True, they will, because Star Wars is a hugely successful franchise, and so they have to continue. I think this is the trilogy where the idea of exactly how they continue is explored, though.

9. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    That's bare minimum fulfillment and not terribly satisfying if that's all he does. So basically I can skip the OT as movies because ultimately what Luke does is what Yoda and Ben were supposed to do. So why not just skip that whole middle trilogy.

10. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    Yes. You can also skip the ST because Luke ain't the man.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    another reason why toppling the regime in IX doesn't make sense, just like how the OT didn't really topple anything I think the ST will not really topple anything allowing the friction/factions to cause galactic war in the future.[face_devil]

and maybe Snoke/Kylo will be more prepared than Palps and Vader so that if they die there won't be Civil War in their factions.

12. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    There will be eternal war until someone has the strength to decide enough is enough, and refuses to fight any more, choosing instead a life of peace. Luke could be the catalyst for this.

CGI-BOBAFENT likes this.
  13. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    That's not going to happen. There's no Star Wars without war.

Dra---, Satipo and Solo-Skywalker like this.
  14. I know

May 4, 2014
    Exactly. But, don't they have to move towards an end game? From a story point of view? Someone has to be the one to show there's an alternative route, something other than war in the galaxy.

Immortiss and Blazer-Smith like this.
  15. Blazer-Smith

Oct 28, 2004
    The end game is conquest (even for the good guys). That's the goal of every war.

Rabs and I know like this.
  16. I know

May 4, 2014
    True. And I think we may see the 'good guys' aren't as good as we once thought.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  17. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

I think shades of grey on both sides will be very refreshing, to echo Drivers comments about not being evil, just doing what he believes is right, this is the same philosophy I'm sure the good guys use and it could make for some questionable ethics within the Resistance as well as the First Order.

It would be great if we see the Jedi in this trilogy actually being a neutral moral compass rather than aligning with a particular military/political faction as they did in the old days, trying to steer both sides away from conflict. Of course this is Star Wars so all out war is inevitable but I think I'd rather the Jedi be what they are supposed to be, guardians of peace and justice and it could be cool to see them call out breaches of that wherever they see it.

My guess and I could be wrong is I don't think Palps ever needed a contingency plan for if he died, all he was interested in was ultimate powahhh for himself and If he lost that, the galaxy could go to hell for all he cared.

18. I know

May 4, 2014
    Well said. Couldn't agree more. This is how you maintain balance. By not allowing evil acts to perpetuate; no matter which side the war they occur on.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  19. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Sure, but the threat to every jedi is the temptation of the dark side. It would be odd for that not to threaten Rey as well.

And why even make Kylo a relation? He could be just a bad guy and it would serve the same purpose. Not so much of an impact with Han's death, but that's about it. But the family relation is for dramatic effect, obviously, to create conflict between and within both protagonist and antagonist.

-LordSkywalker- and Dra--- like this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    you know what if we are all got it wrong, everyone seems to assume that Rey's greatest foe in the ST will be Kylo, what if it isn't Kylo? what if Rey is destined to fight someone else?

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  21. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    They could pull a Theon Greyjoy with Kylo Ren (just less gruesome). Wouldn't surprise me. I mean, would anyone have ever imagined rooting for Theon again after Season 2?

-LordSkywalker- and Knessa84 like this.
  22. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Well, if he's putting himself out there as the next Vader.... Do the math.

Dra--- and Blazer-Smith like this.
  23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Said with the voice of Darth Sidious [face_devil]

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    eh, "Vader" isn't your only potential villain, between potentially Snoke, potentially the Seven, and potentially others (maybe there will be an old/Ancient Sith in VIII/IX), there is more than enough possibilities than just Kylo Ren for Rey. If Finn is force sensitive than I see plenty of set ups in VII between the 2 characters for a potential rivalry. Just because everybody makes assumption/speculation doesn't mean they are the only possible options.;)

25. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Sure but if Kylo and Rey are related, whether siblings or cousins, that's going to be the main conflict - family v. family. Otherwise, it seems like a missed opportunity. And Luke will likely want some effort to redeem Kylo, and if Rey has some familial connection to him, she's the natural person to be his opponent and to appeal to his good side - to the extent it still exists. If Rey's not related, it could be anybody I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.