main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    He hasn't seen the film yet so I expect it's fairly understandable nerves as they build up to release. The feeling I get is that they are confident, but there are a few areas that may well be controversial with some fans and it's hard to see them pleasing everyone.

2. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    I just took that interview as him saying they are aware of the huge legacy of Star Wars, aware a load of people crapped all over the prequels and that they are also aware they aren't going to please everyone

CairnsTony, HanSolo29 , TK327 and 3 others like this.
  3. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    interesting. first shot is the trailer. second is later.

[​IMG]

5. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yeah, JJ said they are still working on some colour corrections (so TFA isn't 100% finished as it was stated recently).

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    well they are the same frame but the shots are very different. explosions and things.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s like spot the difference.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Ah, now I see it. The one explosion in the sky above the TIE is missing.

Flapjack4 and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Watching ESB right now. Watched ANH last night. Its jarring how much better ESB is than ANH. Dialogue is sublime pacing is perfect.

10. Darth Yeezus

Darth Yeezus Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2015

Lawrence Kasdan X Marcia Lucas ^:)^

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I would generally agree with that. Except, in my view, the first act of ANH (up until they are swallowed up by the Death Star) is, IMO, the best stretch of Star Wars in the entire saga. For that reason, I alternate between ANH and ESB as my favorites.

Bazookaleffe and Mungo Baobab like this.
  12. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    Interesting. For me Death Star is where the fun begins. Though trash compactor was my nightmare when I was a child.
    Rumored cargo in TFA may be that kind of nightmare for the new generations.

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    The Empire-Rebel confrontation, followed by the slow build of Tatooine as an actual frontier society in space, with farmers and scavengers and smugglers and nomads and saloons, is the absolute apex of immersion in a fictional universe, IMO. My suspension of disbelief is complete during that stretch of film. I accept all of it, including the most ridiculous of the Cantina regulars. It's sublime.

I enjoy the Death Star escape sequence, and love the trench run, but they don't compare to Act 1 for me.

The first and third acts of ESB, however, come very close. The set pieces on Hoth and Bespin are just perfect.

Mungo Baobab and AloneinSpace like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    First act of ANH is brilliant, I actually like the middle portion with the escape from the Death Star less than I like the first act on Tatooine and the final battle.

15. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

The first act Jabba is talking about is unique. Watching it now it seems slow and cumbersome but in 77 it was totally awe inspiring. The very first scene with the SD coming over your head (even GL acknowledged he wish he could of seen that as a fan) followed by the introduction to DV is superb. However you then find yourself watching 2 droids on a desert planet where only one speaks english, it was just so unbelievable, yet it was totally believable, it was encapsulating. Then of course we meet Luke, then Ben, then Han and Chewie (and Greedo of course lol) and away we go.

Jabba makes a great point.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. I think the Death Star escape is a whole lot of fun, but compared to the first and third act, it's a bit Scooby Doo.

Yup. And I think it's a shame that modern blockbusters are generally not allowed that kind of slow build to ease an audience into a fully-realized world. Peter Jackson pulled it off with Fellowship of the Ring, but few have even tried.

17. Skillzwalker

Oct 24, 2015

Haha after supporting you on ANH I now have to say that my favourite parts of the saga are act 2 of ESB, specifically Yoda and Luke (Asteroid field was fun too, especially JW score)

18. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    Well one thing to consider for me. I am 30. So I got into SW around the time the SE came out, so I don't have a special place for the original because I saw them all basically back-to-back-to-back 1st go. For me the 1st act is great, I have never cared for the part from getting caught in the tractor beam up to the Obi Wan Vader fight. Except for my 1st few viewings I get bored during most of the death star sequence. Obviously I love the final act. My favorite part is the pre battle preparations. Seeing all the X-Wings, Y-wings getting prepped for battle just builds the excitement. But in ESB I don't have a part I get bored. The pacing is just perfect and Fisher, Hamill and Ford really stepped up their acting in ESB.

I actually want to put ROTJ above ANH, but Jedi rocks and Ewoks prevent me from doing so.

19. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Is Empire magazine out today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
  21. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I still think ANH is hands down the best SW film... and one of the best pieces of cinema full stop. TESB has better production values, is somewhat darker/more mysterious, the dialogue and relationships are more sophisticated. However, IMO, Star Wars ANH is a much more important/significant piece of cinema/popular fiction.

23. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    I alternate between the two. I just think ANH is the complete film. To set the whole galaxy up and introduce the main characters in such an epic and fun way, it still takes some beating. Empire is more accomplished, dialogue is better and the pacing is exemplary. ANH followed a linear path and Empire intercut Han and Leia with Luke and Yoda, and it was perfectly paced.

They are the best two Star Wars films and TFA will have to go some to get even close. I'm rooting for it to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Skillzwalker

Oct 24, 2015

Absolutely no doubt about that. Star Wars (ANH) changed everything, its hard to put into words for those that were not there. For those that were i am sure they know what am I am trying to say.

Having said that I also understand why some might prefer ESB.

yassir.khan likes this.
  25. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    I agree. For people who were old enough (or even alive) in 1977 to experience the phenom. For me it is the best stand alone movie in the Star Wars saga, and it is the obvious starting point for anyone. However when you place it in the Saga, it is middling at best (which is no diss). I sometimes put it 3rd, usually 4th.
    ESB, ROTJ, ANH, ROTS.
    ESB, ANH, ROTS, ROTJ.
    ESB, ANH, ROTJ, ROTS or
    ESB, ROTJ, ROTS, ANH (might be my current feeling)

depending on my mood I put them in any of those orders. All orders end in AOTC, TPM

26. Skillzwalker

Oct 24, 2015

Agree with that. Re-watching ANH it is obvious it was made as a one off and it sticks out a bit because of it. However no-one knew how well it would do and the sequels were never an option until the movie opened and its success or otherwise was realised.

27. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The Empire coverage is superb. I'm wading through it now.

Only "confirmation" so far seems like it could be flashbacks. They tease it but say: filming "wrapped with Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren" unleashing a 'Force Back'.

They don't clarify what means - as in KK won't clarify - but it seems to be a strong hint that the flashbacks are a thing. Do the KoR trigger that as it says, or is that a conflation of how it plays out in the movie?

Big one - Snoke "was critical in the seduction of Kylo to the dark side. He is a hugely important part of the story and will continue to be".

On Luke, "the no-show poster boy" - "I love that anyone cares... it was always the thought to keep our powder dry but it wasn't to make people crazy. We did it because it was appropriate for the story".

The planets appear to be:

Jakku
    Takodana
    D'Qar
    Hosnian Prime - I don't know if this is Skellig
    Starkiller Base Origin Point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.