main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^On why Kylo/Snoke really want the lightsaber, perhaps the First Order has a force sensitive prisoner who can "read" the crystal and the history of the saber much like Maz can...and it's this history of the crystal and saber that Kylo is after moreso than the sword itself? Or Kylo/Snoke could be powerful enough to read the crystal himself?

^On Rey's parentage...My thoughts boil down to this:

The word "family" is spoken by two characters in these trailers: Luke and Rey. Coincidence???

Kennedy says the Skywalker family and legacy are themes that will continue throughout the new films.

Ridley says we will get answers to who Rey is by the end of TFA.

Rumors and Leaks strongly suggest that Rey and Luke share a scene or sequence at the end of TFA, shot on location at Skellig, and Leia and Rey share a scene shortly before this sequence.

Rey being orphaned but longing for her true family has been set up as a theme for TFA. If that problem is not resolved by the end of TFA, then the film is incomplete. There are much bigger challenges for Rey to face across the trilogy, and her finding her family is just step 1 along the path of her hero's journey. Step 1 is not going to be delayed until the second film in the series.

All of these things point to Rey being either Luke or Leia's daughter, her scenes with them at the end of the film being part of the big resolution to the problem established early in Act 1: She's an orphan. You can't argue that Leia or Luke become a parental figure to her while not being her biological parents because neither Luke nor Leia have been shown to spend significant time with Rey up to that point in TFA. A symbolic parentage has not been earned by either character. The connection must be biological.

It is my belief that Kylo at a young age became jealous of Rey's abilities or her destiny to be the greatest Jedi or simply impatient with Luke's teachings, he gave into anger and hate, took the quick and easy path and joined the KoR after betraying his fellow students at Luke's academy. I believe Luke was away with little Rey and his wife when Kylo saw his chance to eliminate any challengers and turned on the others. I believe Luke and his wife sent Rey to Jakku with a trusted friend (MVS)--so Luke and Wife are the parents who "dropped off" Rey—and the Clan is the group/village that Luke's wife went to live with alone while Luke went on his spiritual retreat. I think years later Kylo was hunting for Rey and the lightsaber, and he led the KoR in an attack on the Clan that included Luke's wife. They killed everyone, but couldn't find Rey...

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    So where did this weapon come from in the story? How did they obtain it?

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I dunno. But it sure as hell didn't fly from Bespin to Jakku, that's way too cheesy. Maybe Rey stumbles over it or it pops up at one of the Jakku markets. There are many possibilities.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Well I'll agree with you on the cheese factor. It sounds like a terrible storyline and I pray you're right. But sadly I know you're wrong. Everything has aligned to these shots. Why would just the Sabre be wrong? Too much has played out perfectly in the trailers/TV spots.

5. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I don't want to read this scene-by-scene breakdown, but what does it say about the Bespin saber??? That it simply falls from the sky out of Cloud City, through the atmosphere and tumbles through space until it lands on Jakku years later? Is that the gist of it?

6. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    New image of our heroes:
    [​IMG]

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well why? Because Abrams is known for leaking fake summaries and so on. And if you want to fool someone you better mix truth with fantasy or people will be onto you immediately. That's why I think that while MSW and MF have many things right, I'm iffy about some main plot points.

Like the aforementioned in an interview mentioned but missing forceback, the also mentioned reunion and the fact that the children book first act doesn't seem to precisely align with the spoilers.

There must be a reason for the discrepancies and just saying it's because of rewrites doesn't quite cut it for me. I have troubles believing the floating saber was ever in any official script.

T-R- and StoneRiver like this.
  8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Darth_Pevra

The most likely reason for the discrepancies between the film rumors and the merchandise is that this film is a merchandising juggernaut, and the film will not always align with the products. We just heard Breznican talk about Rey's speeder toy, which has a massive gun attached to the top of it. That's not in the film. In the film, her speeder is an agricultural tractor.

A misdirection campaign on the scale you're describing simply isn't very likely.

Re: The Poe and Lor San Tekka exchange, I do think it's possible that the Resistance has the Bespin lightsaber, but not the crystal. And LST may be handing that over in that image. I do not believe it is stolen data plans, or anything that close to ANH.

But we will see in two weeks, so...

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's toys, yes. But while a children's book will simplify the plot I still think the main beats would remain unchanged.

How can you say that? Abrams has done it before AND he has mentioned several times how he wants to keep things in that mystery box of his. Why would SW of all movies not be worth the effort?

And what kind of scale are you talking about here?

Hm, to put so much significance into a weapon, even if it is a fabled lightsaber.

10. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

Looks a little bit like this:

[​IMG]

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    But since JJ is so committed to the Mystery Box, why deliberately leak anything at all?

That's the fundamental problem with the misdirection theory. There is no incentive, apart from stringing along fans for the hell of it, for JJ to release so many details that are actually in the film.

12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The problem with your last paragraph is that it is made very clear by the trailers and even by JJ that Rey doesn't know who Luke is and what the force is.

Yes, my bet is still on her being Luke's offspring, but it sounds like she either never met him or she was way too young to have remembered him before they were seperated for whatever reason and then never learned that he was her father and had only heard about him from other people in the same sense that a galactic hero and mythic figure from a generation ago would be known as a legend to the galaxy at large.

Your last paragraph could only be true if she was old enough to remember him and to comprehend and have received some training from her father before they were seperated. That does not appear to be the case.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    JabbatheHumanBeing
    Well, it keeps the hounds occupied for one. Less drone-flyovers maybe. I think those would be an irritating nightmare for any director.

Someone in the other thread just made the observation that Phasma is missing...

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Not just Phasma. The scene with Kylo in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, and a few other bits as well.

15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Nobody ever gets to meet their mom in these movies?:(

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  16. FirstOrder

FirstOrder Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 26, 2015
  17. Shakez

Aug 22, 2014
    New interview with Daisy and John:http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/daisy-ridley-john-boyega-discuss-part-star-wars-35527754

Nothing particulary noteworthy, but Daisy did say something interesting at the end. She said that she's starting a degree in january, and John replies he'll be on set. Daisy's reacts that she'll be there sometimes. Im probably reading to much into it, but doesn't production for Ep VIII start in january? And does that mean Daisy starts shooting at a later date?

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Such an amazing shot.

Is that a shrine in the background, with a stylized image of a father, mother and child above it?

Hernalt, dekaneas, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014

No, she could be 4-5 years old, very young when dropped off on Jakku, so she has vague memories of her parents, but certainly doesn't know her dad is THE LUKE SKYWALKER. Why would she? Few children that age have a firm grasp on their parents' past and who their parents are and what they do. So these vague memories are awakened and colored in so to speak by Maz's vision and that fully tells Rey who she is, and even more of her natural Force ability begins to flow through her.

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    *looks at picture*
    I now want there to be a tv mini series that consists soley of Kylo Ren's therapy sessions with the Vader mask. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

21. Shakez

Aug 22, 2014
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Amazing shot.
    You can also see Adam Drivers hair if you look closely. Someone should show that image to the "Kylo Ren is Luke Skywalker" crowd.

I hope that there will be some of those folks in the theater where I am going to watch TFA. I want to see their face when they find out that Kylo Ren is Kylo Ren.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Funny. I never imagined that we'd see Kylo's hair sticking out of the back and sides of the helmet...

25. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Going more full on with the Japanese influence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.