main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Ha. Okay. Good points. I can see I vastly misjudged the general consensus on this thread. Don't mind me.

2. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    You just eliminated the purpose of 90% of "social" media.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Love that rumor. Any idea where it originated?

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Someone posted it here during the height of false rumor spamming.

T-R- likes this.
  5. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Really? You don't think the general movie-going audience will get tired of Star Wars at some point? Disney has already made a mad dash to release several movies in the next five years or so.

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Still only half the number of movies Marvel has released in the same time frame. Avengers 2 just made a boatload of money and people are already buzzing about Cap 3 and GOTG 2.

DarthRosie, Myself656 and TheBBP like this.
  7. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    So you think there will not be a burnout at some point? I'd like to share your optimism.

bobbyroberts Only because there has been six (6) Star Wars movies in the previous 38 years (not counting the animated 'Clone Wars' movie or the upcoming Ep. 7). That's why there hasn't been a burn out. Disney releasing a new Star Wars movie until the end of time will eventually cause the general movie going audience to lose interest at some point.

8. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Ant Man will be bigger than the people who said "Guardians will bomb" think.

People aren't burned out on Marvel or Pixar.

People though Jurassic Park was a dead 90s franchise and the 4th movie is going to be threatening Titanic by the end of the summer.

DarthRosie, Blazer-Smith and Satipo like this.
  9. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    As for Jurassic Park movie, there hadn't been one for 14 years. It's not like there was a Jurassic Park movie every year.

Pixar isn't a franchise like Marvel of Star Wars are and even if it was, there hasn't been a new Pixar film EVERY year to my knowledge.. I'm pretty sure the general public is getting weary of this deluge of Marvel films. Even at that, you can't say there hasn't been any quality control issues with some of these Marvel films.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Everyone has their own threshold for that. It's gonna take a lot for me lol.

11. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Right now I'm sticking to the episodes. I'm a bit leery about he Anthology films, though.

12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    There hasn't been a "burnout" because the audience isn't burnt out. There's been Star Wars in some form of media for 38 years. The movies have been re-released pretty consistently. They're sold and re-sold a comical number of times. The video game industry for a large chunk of that 30+ years has relied on there being Star Wars games. The Toy Industry is fueled largely by the fact there are always Star Wars toys. There have been more hours of Star Wars entertainment available to watch in the last 15 years than there were in the first 15 years by a multiple of at least 3 or 4.

Star Wars is basically everywhere, and has been everywhere since it came out. And if audiences aren't burnt out after three decades of constant background radiation burbling through almost every aspect of pop-culture in the meantime, a movie every year won't burn it out, I don't think. We as a culture have decided we're cool with the idea of Star Wars always being there, as evidenced by the fact that when it's not being actively provided to us, we'll just prop it up ourselves anyway.

Burnout only happens when the quality suffers. So the question becomes whether you think Lucasfilm won't be able to provide quality entertainment at a more consistent clip. Will they Pixar & Marvel it, or will we end up in a period that Star Trek and James Bond went through, where they ended up becoming tired parodies of themselves?

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Oh. Burnout of 3 episodes over the next 3 years? There is nothing in me that sees that happening. I could understand concerns for a movie every year. Not for me, but for other folks lol.

14. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    But I'm talking about the FILMS. Not the video games or toys, etc. Star Wars fans are always going to eat up Star Wars. I'm talking about the general movie going audience. Star Wars initially appealed to a wide spectrum of people, not just science fiction fans. I'd hate for it to reduced down to only the core fans

I'm not talking about a burnout of three upcoming episodes. I'm talking about a Star Wars movie every year until who knows when.

15. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
  16. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

[​IMG]

ALMOST every year. And there are 2 Pixar movies in 2015.

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think a film a year is good. Maybe every two years once in a while. I really can’t see SW becoming quite literally like Marvel. They’re very different beasts when you really think about it. I think a great indicator of people’s tolerance will be the gap between Rogue One and Episode 8 (a mere five months).

18. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I know you are. But Star Wars isn't just films, and hasn't been for a very, very long time. The amount of cultural saturation I'm talking about goes beyond just individual movies, is the point I'm making, and if the culture can not only endure, but embrace that level of saturation, in a sustained manner, for over three decades, I don't see the addition of yearly films doing much more to hasten a downfall that I dont' think is coming very soon.

Star Wars still appeals to a wide spectrum of people. The idea that it doesn't is an idea that's, maybe-ironically, being put forward by the fandom itself as a means to make itself feel more important. The idea that there's anything somewhat "exclusive" about proclaiming you like Star Wars is one of the stranger things about Star Wars fandom in recent years, and I've posted about it before: The idea that Star Wars is somehow "geeky" has never passed muster. Nothing that popular, for that long, is "geeky". You can make the depth of your enjoyment of such a thing "geeky", sure, but the idea that Star Wars in and of itself has a limited audience appeal doesn't wash.

If anything, what we're facing is a future where Star Wars will be produced at a clip befitting the general audience's sustained consumption of it.

19. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Not every year. And the Pixar films were occasionally new, original stories generally not relying on previoiusly established characters. There isn't an overall, ongoing story that LOTR and Harry Potter and Star Wars has. Pixar doesn't have a fan base as Harry Potter or Star Wars or comic book movies.

20. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

Tell that to the people who will be camping out over night to see the first footage from Finding Dory at D23.

21. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Did anyone camp out for the previous Pixar films? Finding Dory is an entirely different film from the other Pixar films. Pixar films aren't one big story. Apart from the sequels, the stories and characters don't live in the same world as each other. It's not a 'franchise' the way others are.

22. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    That image meme is bad.

"what if Dogs had feelings" is one of the worst summations of "Up" I've ever seen.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "What if old people had feelings?"

24. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I mean, I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it's just kind of a doofy joke. "What if Scotland had feelings." Yeah, because that's a what-if people have been kicking around. Scotland was previously considered to be a pretty emotionless, dry, grey place before Brave came out and showed there are fiesty, fiery people living in the region.

25. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    bobbyroberts "Star Wars still appeals to a wide spectrum of people". I strongly dissent from that view. Star Wars' appeal has been refined, to what degree depends on who you talk to. But Star Wars is not 'universally' loved the way it was during the OT years, sadly. You don't have to go far to find someone who has 'sworn off' Star Wars solely based on the prequels or the special editions, suffice to say.

I really want to be wrong on the notion that Star Wars movies will eventually lose its spark with the general movie going audience. I hope the these new films are a huge success at the box office and with critics. But I'm a tad bit skeptical. We'll see how it pans out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.