main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

That's pretty much limited to the INTERNET. The average person doesn't seem to care one way or another about the things the INTERNET complains about with the Prequels or SEs. Heck I still remember seeing the SEs in theaters with people who didn't think they changed anything.

EHT, Myself656, Darth_Voider and 3 others like this.
  2. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    James Bond anyone? They keep getting bigger and better. Just sayin'
    [​IMG]

3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

I can't tell if you are serious or not. I would go as far to say that Star Wars is loved more now than it ever was before. For the longest time, Star Wars fans were a fanatical fringe bunch, but today society has accepted geek culture as a norm and more and more people are getting on board.

my kind of scum likes this.
  4. robot_3

robot_3 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 23, 2015
    You also don't have to go too far to find a whole generation of kids who grew up with those prequels and became fans because of, not in spite of, them...

Myself656, my kind of scum and TheBBP like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I grew up with the PT. They're not perfect, but they're fun.

6. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    It's not just an 'internet' thing. The internet and someone's unhappiness with the direction that Star Wars is headed is not mutually exclusive. Not everyone who has 'sworn off' Star Wars doesn't feel obligated to let it be known on the web. Everything else is based on personal experience on those who you know and talk to.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He seems serious to me and I agree with him. The dynamics are always shifting and people leave and join for a multitude of reasons. Numbers and who is what or why are hardly the only valid aspects regarding fandom anyhow. It's not a competition though a few sure like to attempt making it seem like one. :p

8. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    The problem with "the internet" is that it's just people. It's not some magical place where people don't believe the things they're saying and playact and lie about who they are and what they think (although that does obviously still happen, for whatever reason). it's just how people talk to each other now. That's the internet.

That said, I think it's a question of focus. If you confine yourself to spaces online where only certain aspects of certain things are consistently discussed, it might seem as if the narrative you're subscribing to carries more weight. I'm not going to argue that there aren't pockets of people out there who don't like Star Wars all that much, or don't like parts of Star Wars as much as they like other parts. But the brand that is Star Wars still maintains a wide generational and general appeal.

I think the problem regarding speculation on what the "general audience" enjoys is that the "general audience" gets othered, yunno? Often the general audience gets scapegoated for wasting time liking things you don't like, and making the things you like underappreciated. In this case, the general audience may not like Star Wars near as much as those of us choosing to talk about it on a messageboard do - but that doesn't mean the general audience has checked out, either. I think the appeal of Star Wars to the general audience is very, very high. It's just that they have to be reassured the film or TV show bearing its name contains the quality that they're inclined to assign to that brand.

It's when they don't, repeatedly, that burnout will occur.

9. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    But that still doesn't make my overlying point moot.

bobbyroberts We'll have to see how strong the appeal Star Wars has with the general movie going audience at the box office. Until it starts making and breaking box office records again, I'm not sold.

bobbyroberts likes this.
  10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    What if an old woman was a house.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  11. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998
  12. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Seems like Felicity Jones's character has a similar back story to Rey. Both were separated from their parents at a very young age.

starocean90 likes this.
  13. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
  14. crave_24

crave_24 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 10, 2015
    Question maybe someone can answer. The end battle is supposed to take place on the snowy planet where the first order and their castle resides, but in the trailers when the x-wings are flying in low, it shows more of Yavin/Skellig Michael type planet. I understand planets can have more than one biome, but in Star Wars that's generally not the case. If the trailers show a different part of the movie, where else could it line up along the rumored plot points? I'm sure it's been kicked around the bucket before, just curious to see what other people think.

TK327 and TheBBP like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It takes place on the Pizza Planet.

16. ManaByte

Aug 20, 1998

The X-Wings are on the same planet as the First Order fortress. It's not a Hoth-like planet. More like Alderaan in SWTOR. Mountains with forests and snow.

Skellig is a different planet.

Revanfan1 and TheBBP like this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I hope they are not that similar. The whole orphan theme is quite recurrent.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The resistance shows up when the First Order raids Maz's castle and captures Rey.

TK327 and TheBBP like this.
  19. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I can't argue that, really. We're all playing a wait & see game here in one form or another.

It really only seems to fit right there: The snowy area is at the top of a mountain. I think it's less that it's a "snow planet" as it is a forest planet, and the higher up you go on it, the colder it's gonna be. The lower you are (and Poe's squadron, what's left of it, is going in low) the less white it's gonna be.

If anything, it looks like Planet Oregon, to me. But I'm biased, there.

20. acroyear7

Feb 11, 2006
    Haven't kept tabs on this, but has it been pretty much confirmed that Maz's castle location and the rebel base on the same planet?

As for Rogue One, last I heard is that Felicity Jones' character is the same as one of the characters from the 'Rebels' show, or is she an altogether new character, or do we know yet?

21. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    People are speculating that if there's going to be a link between Rebels and any of the live-action movies, it might happen in Rogue One. But I don't see it, myself. Rebels simply doesn't maintain a high enough profile for that to be a valid creative choice. Much in the same way almost nothing that happens in Agents of SHIELD actually translates to anything happening in the films. But things that happen in the films can (and do) get referenced/worked in on the TV show.

I think Rebels might contain storylines that will help build to Rogue One, maybe. But I don't think we're going to see any characters make the leap from animation to live action.

Dak Oolron and acroyear7 like this.
  22. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    There was that dodgy image going around as her dressed as Sabine but that was proved 100% false. Whether or not she is playing that same character we still don't know.

acroyear7 likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really don’t think any average Joes (or maybe very few) have said they’ve sworn off SW because of the PT. The PT was still incredibly successful. The same with the SE. That line of thought (or dialogue, actually) is more reserved for fans and people on IMDB (probably mostly generation X-ers).

24. crave_24

Mar 10, 2015
    Live action Ahsoka would be pretty cool though. We could always get the last fight between her and Anakin in the movie.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. crave_24

Mar 10, 2015
    Agreed, it just feels like a different planet to me. I guess we shall see.

TK327 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.