main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL The *New* TFN

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthJurist, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    The Force.Net, v2.0

Personally, I hate it.

But look! You can buy a Master Replica!!!

Oh! And join Hyperspace!!!

:rolleyes:

~H~

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of ads in the banner.

I like the old layout better.

p.s. But is it bad if I already own a Master Replica and belong to Hyperspace?

3. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    no, not at all. ;)

My issue is that the placement of the ads makes it look much less like a fan site, and more like a corporate or business site.

4. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't like it either.

Besides the issues already stated (which I agree with), there is the text size. This is probably great for those running 800x600, but I think that by and large people are using 1024x768 now, and I think that as the core audience being what it is, probably even higher than that. I am using 1280x1024 only because my LCD won't let me go to 1600x1200. The text is very small.

Also, some of those colors they picked...for Episode 2, FanForce, and Video Games they are using white text on a yellow background. I think only a full color-blind person could read that. The values are too close together.

I think it's nice to have the news broken up into the latest headlines in each categories, but the Latest News box up at the top is far too small. The way they have been going, they won't post anything for days, then they post 15 news items at once. The new box can hold, um, about 5. I don't want to have to search through every category at the bottom just to find out what's happening.

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I too think it sucks.

The text size is a major problem and it is just too damn cluttered.

6. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Oh so none of you have been hearing the rumors in the last few months that TFN is now under the control of the almighty Lucas. The more corporate feel has been hitting the TFN fans on EVERY freakin level. Just try to get some info out of people who were once resourceful and willing...you'd swear they were slapped with a cease and desist. Subtlety is just a lost art, I guess.

7. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I haven't visited tf.n's homepage in years, but the little news-box at the bottom of these pages has been looking less like Star Wars News and more like LFL Press Releases for quite some time now. No real shock, I know; just seconding Dex's observation.

As far as the design, it's text-heavy to the point of nausea. I was gonna compare it to the IRS's homepage, but a quick look reveals that the IRS has cleaned up their design considerably since this time last year.

Man, when a government site looks good by comparison...

-Le Penguin
    "Oh, this is gonna be sweet!"

8. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    It looks just like Hyperspace... Just less Lucasfilm-ie.

9. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    [face_worried] :( That's ummm... Well... BAD TF.n! [face_shame_on_you]

I totally agree w/ the text/display size comment... I don't like having to use my cross-stitch lens to read a website [face_not_talking]

And the over-commercialization of the front-end is also very displeasing o_O

10. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    You mean there's more to TheForce.net than these boards??? No way!

11. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Well....to me there isn't really ....I never go to the main site anyway...just usually the Boards...and that's pretty much it...

12. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    " I was gonna compare it to the IRS's homepage, but a quick look reveals that the IRS has cleaned up their design considerably since this time last year. "

When the IRS beats you in terms of design, you know your number is up as a designer.

13. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Ya, that new layout sucks balls. 'Tis poo.

14. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Seven banner ads and several links to SW.com (which has become nothing but ads itself) on the front page. And even their current poll is asking which TV Ad appeals to fans the most.

I do have to say that none of this has changed my opinion of TFN in the least.

Bosh

"Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower."

15. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, they made the official switchover today. I suppose if I still visited the TF.N main page (which I don't due to spoiler issues), I would be pretty annoyed.

But as it is... *shrugs*

16. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    The new Fanforce.net page licks wookiee armpits! I dont' have this forum bookmarked at work and I have to go to fanforce.net to get to the forums. Now it takes more clicks and it's not visually pleasing. I thought I was on a LFL site!

17. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    The proof is mounting.......

18. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    femme, just do boards.theforce.net and you avoid the ickiness

19. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Some parts okay. Most parts crappy. I hate it.

And TFN stopped being a fan site a long time ago. Can you say "Star Wars Ventures"?

20. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Can you say Cease and Decist?

That costuming section has the potential to produce more C&Ds than we've ever seen. Bad bad bad move TFN.

21. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    I didn't even realize there was a new costuming section...

~H~

22. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I like how the TFN Headlines at the bottom of this page are in a .00005 point font.

23. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Personally, I'm more irked at the double standard they've used w/ the new Winter Banner for the JCF main screen :mad:

I'm really glad that there can be no depiction of homosexuality in any form in the FanFic boards, yet we can have it on the Banners... No implied nudity in FanArt or FanFilms, but we can on the Banner [face_plain] And don't even get me started on the St. Patty's Day Banner [face_plain]

24. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    It still amazes me how such a well-hated site became, and remains the centerpoint for Star Wars fandom and information. I mean I don't get the idea that fans have such a love-hate relationship over at OneRing.Net

25. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I suspect it's part laziness and part habit. I would rather go to one site and click on all the cities I want/need I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.