main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The New User Social VI: Return of The Chaos!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth Gangrenous, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm doing good visiting family and you?

2. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm doing okay. Swannie sis and I are trying to revive the Crimson Jedi and it looks like we have our work cut out for us.

3. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I'm here to help out anyway I can

BultarSwan likes this.
  4. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
  5. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    You know you can always count on me[:D]

6. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    [:D]

I'm getting sleepy so I'm going to call it a night. [face_tired] Have a goodnight sis. [:D]

7. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Tee has joined up. Yay! Now time to recruit. :p

8. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Yep I have.:p

9. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
  10. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Hehe I still remember my old password.:p

11. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Sounds good. :D

12. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    AH! CRAZY SKINS!

13. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    FIX THEM! :p

14. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    TRYINGGGGGG

15. BlueHeron

BlueHeron Jedi Master star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    YAY!! (Swan's sock ;) )

16. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    well, it's getting there. better that before, I think, but not perfect... a lot of things are difficult to do, for some reason, and I remember Fred did a lot of this stuff now... :p I think... it was a while ago

it's coming along... tell me what you think! ideas?

I threw together a little banner I made in paint lolz....

17. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
  18. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Ok fixed that. All kinds of things popping into my head, though mostly the roster...

19. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Yes, the roster. THAT needs strict attention. You, DG and I are admins. But we need a council and masters and such. Seems that we are starting almost completely from scratch though.

20. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    Ok, well who is active here?

21. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    -BultarSwan
    -Darth Gangrenous
    -Teegirloo
    -Trimaj
    -Bardan_Jusik
    -Darth_Deception
    -Thrawn1786

who am I missing? Who's on this list that isn't CJ? (if this is accurate, I'd say it's a very good list and we're in a great spot)

Also, I'd say that, along figuring out who's in the club, the most important thing is figuring out why we exist. We should look at our mission statement (etc) and figure out what it is that WE do... What's unique about us?

I'll say this and you guys can chime in with your experiences, if you like:

(this is all by my account, which isn't perfect...)The Crimson Jedi started in the WNU, specifically in and around the pillow fight thread :D . The JC was super active then, leading up to ROTS, so there were tons of people! The fight got really intense at a certain point and everyone was kind of choosing sides- there was the pillow empire and the something rebellion of some sort. Clearly, I was part of the Empire :p . These were the pillow wars!!! It jumped to tons of threads, new ones were started and soon locked, and I'm sure the WNU mods had a very splendid time with it all. :p Anyway, out of that madness, friendships were born and The Crimson Jedi came into being. Essentially, because we really wanted to be a part of something in the, to us, vast ocean that was the JCF, and being together on some sort of mission was awesome, as we just learned!

So, if we look at that, we see 3 things that are foundational to the CJ: new users, role playing/having fun, and being part of something that is our own/the club/social aspect

Sidebar on picking the name: From what I could see at the time, there was a Jedi social group and a Sith social group, but I never felt like either quite fit me. I want to be on the good side, the winning side, and feel like I'm in the right, but there seems/seemed to be a coolness that goes along with the Sith that Jedi lacked. Maybe the Jedi were even uncool, a little, and as a 15 year old, at the time, nothing was less cool than being uncool :p . Also, I had a sort of fascination with the Crimson Guard, which actually wasn't even called that, as far as I can tell; they are the Imperial Guard or the Emperor's Royal Guard. But I had read an issue or two of Crimson Empire and read all about it and thought the idea of those guys being super-highly trained to the point of rivaling Jedi, and Jax and the like rising even higher above that to have specialized armor, was way awesome. And I thought they were called the Crimson Guard. lol. So if one of those guys was a jedi... or if there was a body of jedi very much like them.. it kind of fits that mold of being very cool and a bit Han Solo or Boba Fett while still being good. It's a Dark Jedi, if he wasn't in danger of being lost to the dark side and was still a good guy! So Crimson Jedi. Like the Special Forces of Jedi. And they look super-cool. :p Oh, and it seemed to me, as a newbie, that these social clubs were very exclusionary. I just remember feeling a bit rebuffed in my efforts to fit in. Or, perhaps, I didn't like the idea of sitting around as a padawan for 6 months or something. And there was a waiting list to get in or get a master... It seemed like you had to work to be accepted. I wanted a place to go and feel like I was a part of something THEN. Instant gratification- I was young and immature, but maybe I had a point somewhere...

The role-playing wasn't just there at the start, either. Our first major venture was a round-robin in the Fan Fiction: beyond section. We were desperately trying to find a thread/home to call our own and bring some legitimacy to our venture, and this was the break. Essentially, it was a RPG where everyone each got a turn at telling the story, with near-full control of all the characters. We really started to grow in this thread, and had plenty of growing pains to go along with it. We also had our own RPG in the RPG section here around this time and at varying times, as well as some RP training on our off-site, and probably some RPGs on there, too. We had 2 or 3 pretty good runs, IIRC.

Anyway, we didn't just want to be stuck in the round robin, though, as much of a roller coaster as it was, we wanted our own social thread! (And as a JCC patron, I very much wanted one there!) So, in seeking that goal, we realized we needed a purpose, which we decided would be helping new users find their way. Many social clubs here do that, but this seemed much more public and emphasized than that, to the point that we had mod-approved (otherwise they woulda been locked :p ) threads in the WNU teaching people mark-ups (in the dark ages before easy buttons!). And that's pretty much how we landed this thread, our most stable home in our history, by my count. Here we get to hang with our crew, the Crimson Jedi, but we also help provide a comfortable environment to new users in the EUC, which is pretty cool, because back in the day, it was either WNU or afloat in the ocean. It's nice to think of a place designated to receive you, as a newbie, in these other huge sections, too.

At some point, I think near the end of the RR, which is when we started RPing, I believe, we made the off-site. We had grown big enough to need it and it was very cool having our own place. It, once again, provided some legitimacy, and we couldn't fit all of our inner-workings into one thread anymore. And we did get that social thread in the JCC FINALLY... haha- after we already had this spot, of course... so it was kind of redundant, but really icing on the cake: We made it.

I think that's when my attendance began to die off a bit, which maybe wasn't right, but Darth RL always has a way of getting us, and that's probably as it should be. But why was it maybe not right? Because another thing the Crimson Jedi had, the whole time, was an older brother. You need that. Whether it was Elu in the beginning, or Magik, or Fred, or plenty of others, we always had somebody who really was a bit older and wiser, guiding us. It wasn't just n00bs against the world, it was new users and older users, young people and older people, walking together. So maybe, after I'd made it to midbie-hood or whatever, I shoulda stuck around. Maybe now's the time for me to be that guy, or maybe this is all just fun for me to reflect back on, and not really for anybody else, and I'll be gone soon..... I don't know, but I'll say I've found a bit of hope for the CJ just now, personally. If we want to make it work, though, as something bigger than what it is now, we probably need to focus and hone in on our core elements and lose the excess.

But, if it doesn't work out and this thing doesn't get rolling again, I think this thread is pretty cool all by itself. And if it fizzles out eventually, I'd say some pretty darn good times were had and life goes on!! :D

What do we think? tl, dr?

22. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Me

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

Darth_Deception likes this.
  23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, we can't forget Mac bro. :D

24. CPL_Macja