main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The newbie named Wings says Hello to all

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by EmeraldWings90, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldWings90

EmeraldWings90 Jedi Knight

Oct 23, 2009
    I'm making a new topic because I looked at the Welcome New Users Forum Index and the ***Official Welcome to the JC!*** , and it said I should. ;) Also, I dunno where else to put my first post. :D

Well, here goes...

Hello all!

OK, so I did what I promised in the title. (sigh) What else?

Hi, I'm Wings - Wings90 or EmeraldWings90, as the original's usually taken. As you can possibly guess from my name: I was born in 1990, I love the color green and I want to be able to fly. (By myself. Not on an airplane. Not very likely, but we don't use the word "impossible", do we?) As you can probably guess from the fact I'm here, I'm a Star Wars fan (amongst other things.) ;)

What you probably can't guess is that I'm a girl and I'm from Hungary (little country, East-Mid-Europe, population 10 million, age 'bout a thousand.) I study English (and a little philosophy) at university/college, so hopefully you won't often be able to tell I'm not a native speaker - though you could immediately tell in person, as my accent's rather bad. [face_blush] Average height, long brown hair, green eyes, glasses etc. I'm sure you're not that interested. :)

I'm primarily a reader - the reason I registered is that I want to use the search feature & want to be able to look at profiles, so that I can find my way around the Fan Fiction section easier. I've read some fics here already - and a million more at FanFiction.Net - but I really can't find my way around here without a registration, and probably not with one either. I'm not very familiar with forums, unfortunately. They frighten me, they're so big. :D I mean, 368 boards and 27 million + messages??? (faint) Also, I'm not that good at doing anything regularly. If I start, I can talk a lot - as you can probably see by now - but I'm quite capable of disappearing unannounced for months, or years, or forever because I'm too ashamed to show up again. :p

I'm a fan of many things: Harry Potter since 2000, though I only started reading fics for it in 2008 (I had withdrawal); Stargate: SG-1 is/was arguably my biggest, I read fanfic for it for years, even translated a few and started posting one at FFNet but never finished it... but this one seems to be over, as I've never watched the spin-off(s); thanks to crossovers, I got into Highlander and read fics for that too, I have read an enormous amount of Lois & Clark fics this spring... Other likes are/were, without fanfic reading: X-Men (Wings is actually me-as-a-mutant), Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, and even Charmed, but that feels like a long time ago. :) I also play(ed) World of Warcraft...(night elf druid.)

My Star Wars preferences...

Well, fav is Return of the Jedi. Light Side. Green lightsaber. Luke Skywalker. I started reading the profic/official books starting with the ANH novelization and am going forward steadily - I'm almost at NJO, with a few skipped items, but I know the story - Wookieepedia's my best friend when looking for SW knowledge. I also skipped forward, read parts of Legacy of the Force, and read Fate of the Jedi fully - and I love it. I'm a firm believer in canon/profic - I'm not saying I always agree with it, but I can't really hate it if that's what happened. There's just so much to read, and I'm impatient. Which is why I really shouldn't read fanfics and stick to the books, but I can't help it.

Fanfic preferences: mostly Original-Trilogy fics and AUs, and Beyond the Saga - anything Luke-centric, though I recently found I enjoy Obi-Wan fics as well. (And I have a giant Yoda poster in my room.) Luke & Vader, Luke/Mara. Usually no slash, and canon pairings, but I'm tolerant and if I love a writer, I may make exceptions. I don't like Time Travel as a principle but have read some excellent fics that had it. I prefer happy end, I mean Light Side end - that is, like RotJ, it may be sad, it may have had some pretty deep Darkness in it, but let it end Light Side please. I believe in redemp

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Welcome to the boards! I'm one of the moderators for the Expanded Universe Community. I'm glad to hear you are reading the books! I'm also glad to hear you are a female. We definitely need more girls in star wars! If you would like to chat about any of the books please stop by the EUC and post in the appropriate Fan Club. We have one specific to the NJO, so let me know when you get there and I'll direct you to that thread. If not, there is an X-wing Series thread (my personal favorite) and others specific to certain Jedi or Sith.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Whoa, I think that's the longest introduction thread I've ever seen. [face_hypnotized]

Welcome to the boards. :) I see that you've already found the FanFic boards. Might you also be interested in the Fan Art board?

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow, that IS the longest introduction post I've ever seen! 8-} [face_laugh] It's even longer than mine was, and that truly, truly is saying something. :p

Anyway, welcome to the forums! I'm a moderator at the Star Wars Community. Be sure to join us there sometime for a horde of Star Wars-ish awesomeness. ;) And send me or any of the other mods a PM if you need anything. We'd be happy to help you.

Enjoy your stay at the forums! :)

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Whoa! That is one informative first post. Welcome!

6. EmeraldWings90

EmeraldWings90 Jedi Knight

Oct 23, 2009
    Thank you very much for the suggestions and offers of help! Yeah, the post got rather lengthy, didn't it? ;) Consider it my bio. At least I managed to set a new record with this, even if my post count will be rather low. ;)

You know, s65horsey, you actually surprised me a little with that comment about there not being enough girls in SW fandom... most people I know about at FF.Net are girls, but I guess it's possible that's only true for fanfic writers--or the writers of the genres I'm interested in, anyway. And it's true I didn't ask everyone if they were male or female. It makes sense that there are more men here, though... I just never thought about it. (However, WoW is a place where I sometimes don't dare tell I'm a girl, there are so few of us. If I do tell, the reaction's comical, really. ;) )

Jedigunship, I'm not sure about the Fan Art board, sounds kinda dangerous... in the sense that, last time I started looking at Fan Art, over at DeviantArt, I managed to spend about a day and a half with it, and ended up making a separate folder for SW in my favs. :D I like it a lot, so I might look at it sometime, but it's time-consuming. (Not that reading isn't...)

7. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    Wow Wings, that was a long post.

Hi there, I'm JarJarJedi, but you are more than welcome to call me JJJ.

Well, if you do hang out in here, I see that we have a lot in common. I've been a Harry Potter fan since the first movie came out. (For that day I started reading the series, but I didn't see the movie until later). I am a fan of Lord of the Rings as well, when I watched all three movies on "Trilogy Tuesday" the day before RotK came out. (And I was going to wath FotR last night until my sister got home and we had to watch some of our shows that were recorded from TV.) And Charmed was ages ago. I am sad to say that I still hve not seen the final season of Charmed, I'd need to watch the whole series again just to remind myself of what happened. My sister loves Highlander, and I have seen a few episodes because of that (and recently, mostly all of the first movie when it was on TV).

I also used to be a big fan of Luke (RotJ is still my favorite film), and if someone would ask me who my favorite character was from the movies, my answer would still be Luke. (From the books, it is Kyp Durron. [face_love] )

And the Dark Side is a little hard to handle... I usually like the good guys in movies, but I really wanted stormtrooper armor, and since I have gotten it, I find myself loving the Dark Side. (And now when I dress in my Jedi costume I feel like I am a spy for the Empire. :D)

And sey is right, we always need more girls in the Star Wars fan world. :cool:

My posts can get pretty lengthy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.