main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 14, 2013.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I don't like either. :p That whole Jim/Maggie/Don/Lisa story line made me want to drink massive amounts of liquor, so any continuation of that is a bad thing. Despite that, I found it to be a very solid episode, although I found it hard to believe that someone in the News Night staff would ask the question "Does anyone know who Anwar al-Aulaqi is?.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Actually couldn't believe Will stayed off during the 9/11 anniversary coverage. I thought they'd change that by the last minute. Interesting that he started as Anchor around 2001. That's not nearly as long as you would think given the comparisons to Jay Leno in Season 1.

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Maggie drives me batty. ANYONE in a training position needs help; it has nothing to do with men=powerful, women=weak.

I love the rest of the show. But I need to be in the right state of mind. It is too mentally stimulating for after a crap day at work (that is what video games are for!).

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm glad this is back. It's interesting that they're weaving this inspired-by-real-events-but-didn't-actually-happen-2-years-ago plot thread through the season (apparently). That's a bit different than the first season, where everything was more heavily tied to actual events- though at least they still have stuff like the Occupy events to ground it from being too fictionalized.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've watched and rewatched both episodes numerous times now. I can't believe how much better this season is than last, and I liked last season.

This happened to the West Wing too- first season wasn't good, and then they got progressively better. Hoping for many great seasons.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Sam Waterston is brilliant. "Will, we ride!"

Great episode.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I thought it was uneven. Yes, Waterson has been brilliant (I don't think there's has been a bad Waterson moment yet in this series), but I thought the Will/Nina Howard story line was flat (and it looks like we'll be getting more of it... yikes). The best stuff came from MacKenzie's & Neal's conversation about Occupy Wall Street, and Jim's issues with the Romney campaign. It looks like we're getting more of Marcia Gay Harden next week, and Maggie in Africa. Should be a better episode.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    For me, the Jim storyline is the only real drawback. It's pretty awful, but at least it doesn't take up too much time.

I agree with you on Neal and Mac though. I also find Olivia Munn to be better this season, she was insufferable last year. Jury's still out on Don.

9. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    The Jim storyline is pretty insufferable so far. I like Jim, but the whole "Jim teaches a whole presidential election press corps how to do their jobs" thing is pretty contrived. And pretty nonsensical, since we all know how the coverage actually did turn out. Also finding it really hard to believe that Mac would keep him 100% in the dark with the whole Genoa thing. How hard would it be to call him in New Hampshire and say, "hey, crazy Jerry is balls deep on this thing, do some checking?"

Really having a bad feeling about how next week will turn out. Maggie probably getting assaulted, Gary probably getting dead...yeesh. Not looking forward to it at all. Not the least because, like everyone else, Maggie-centric plots really grate.

Point Given likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I am also thinking Gary is not long for this world.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Well that was depressing.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    An improvement from last week to be sure (though Jim's off the Romney campaign, have we seen the last of the Vassar woman? I'm not so sure), though I'd figured that Maggie & Gary would get multiple episodes in Africa. Oh well. Obviously Dantana will be the fall guy at ACN when the Genoa story falls apart, but I'm curious as further repercussions among the staff. Didn't expect a mention of the Martin/Zimmerman shooting so soon, but so it begins next week.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Such a good episode. Maggie's first good episode, and Jim wasn't terrible. The OWS girl has overstayed her welcome.

Sam Waterston deserves an Emmy for this season.

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    Agreed that it was a great episode and getting me to actually care about Maggie is a pretty big sign of that.

But man, Jim wouldn't just get pulled home for that. He'd get fired, for sure. And it's so crazy out of character. That really grated.

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think it makes sense that Mac would shield him after their history. Doubt Charlie and Will will ever find out.

I'm guessing Maggie will run into Vassar a few times in NY when she comes to see Jim, further driving her off the edge.

The Africa work, while short, was excellent- reminded me of when Sorkin sent Donna Moss to the Middle East in WW (when Fitz's convoy got blown up). Sorkin is excellent with the change of pace storylines, and finding a way to weave them back in.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Last night's entry was, as I see it, one of the better Newsroom episodes to date... the fallout from Sloan's "posed pictures" (who knew Reese isn't always a complete ****?), her relationship (friendship for now) with Don, Maggie's way of dealing with what happened in Africa (and her slowly becoming a more tolerable character) & the Zimmerman 9-1-1 tape subplot, Will dealing with his father's heart attack, and Charlie's conversation with his spy friend/contact were all intriguing. I'm also quite conflicted about the Genoa story line... while the conversation & thinking it provokes are interesting, since we know it's going to turn out to be a lie (with Dantana the apparent fall guy), I want that revelation to happen already.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought it was good, not great. Interesting that the same thing happened to Olivia Munn, I wonder if she had any say-so in that storyline.

But anywho, yeah, I'm with you on Genoa, Tunick. While I certainly like the setup of this season exponentially better than last, I'd like the pace to pick up a bit. Waterston's scene with the intel guy was brilliant, and I thought Don's scene with Sloan in his office was good too. Will was good, Mac was good. The scene with the fellow who was tweeting about coming out to his parents seemed not to fit. Jim has gone downhill, and Maggie's just, eh, the NBC parallel with editing was too predictable. Ready for next week!

DarthTunick likes this.
  18. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Olivia Munn killed this episode. She's still the best thing on this show, both in character and acting. Other things that really stood out to me in this episode:

The entire plot of Don and the WND story. When Don started screaming at the guy over the phone, I damn near lost it.
    The conversation between Reese, Charlie and Sloan, as pointed out, nice to see Reese not acti like a total tool all of the time.
    And a so quick I almost missed it bit: Sloan's walking out of the Newsroom, Charlie's walking in and as they pass, there's just a quick hand grab between the two. I love the dynamic that has been developed between them.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Totally agree on that last point, DDH.

20. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    He didn't. John Wells did, at the end of Season 5. Sorkin was gone by then.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Ha, you're exactly right. Well done indeed.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Jerry ****** up big time.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah. Thats not how I expected it to play out.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That certainly was unexpected, but I liked it. Adding a little spice to the proceedings (since we know how some of it will play out) makes for a more interesting story line... Jerry so wants the Genoa story to be true! Loved Stephen Root as the general* willing to speak about Genoa, and Don & Jim's skepticism during the 2nd Red team meeting. The rest of it? Ok, nothing special. Finally, though, for next week, the **** really hits the fan about Genoa, and that (hopefully) will be great... despite knowing in part what's to come, we still don't know why the story is even out there to being with. Someone somewhere had to start the lie.

*I rolled my eyes & yelled at the television after his assessment that March Madness is the best sporting event out there. :p

25. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    Because I have far too much time to think about this nonsense, allow me to assert a somewhat well reasoned theory: Charlie's Naval Intelligence guy and General Stomtonovich conspired to destroy ACN's credibility in reporting on Genoa because it's a true story and they support chemical weapons usage, and they found quite a friend in Jerry.

Both made the point that chemical weapons usage would be perfectly legitimate in these supposed circumstances, which I think we should be comfortable assuming is decidedly not the editorial bent that Jerry is going to be going for. It doesn't seem too out of line to me to assume that these are two men who would be aware of each other if not possibly acquaintances or even friends. Breaking down the sources on this story, we have...

Cyrus West - sort of crazy Neocon friend of Jerry's who has a specific tip but no other information
    Hamni8 - supposedly in the village and tweeting
    Leon Deet - worked for an NGO but saw the aftermath
    Sweeney and Herman Whatshisname - participated in the operation without specific knowledge of what was going on

All of those things independently create a reasonable circumstantial case but obviously nothing iron clad. The Naval Intel guy came to Charlie because he had gotten wind of Jerry poking around. Why is it so unreasonable that he took it upon himself to derail a story that would pretty much crush any public support of chemical weapons usage forever? Not that that level of support is high now, but he and Stomtonovich seem to be of identical mind here. If the manifest he gave Charlie was a fake - and I'm sure it will be, both as a parallel to the Bush story and its MacGuffinness - that by itself would be enough to derail the story. Then he gets word they've contacted Stomtonovich (as those wiretapping intel guys are want to do), calls him up, and fills him in on what's going on. Note that they asked the General to confirm that the manifest was genuine but no one else. Why not either of the soldiers? Anyway, the General insists on Jerry being the only one involved in the interview because that's who he had checked out. What would he find in checking him out? That he's been all over this story from the beginning. That makes him the perfect fall guy. Whether Stomtonovich expected Jerry to falsify the interview footage or whether he just intended to screw with him through vagaries and non-denials (and I'm sure it's the latter), there's no one else there to back him up.

I think it's also notable that we discovered that Charlie has refused to ID his Naval Intel guy. I think it's safe to assume they're old friends of some sort, and the guy could have easily abused that trust to feed Charlie the bad information.

Bottom line, I think the answer to this is that the operation probably did happen, they probably did use the gas, but the Naval Intel guy and the General did enough intentional misleading that the story will never be taken seriously. Jerry just helped it along. Hell, maybe that's what his lawsuit is based on. The Navy guy is definitely not his source, and Charlie and Mac were just as complicit in screening the General as he was. If he's the only one who gets the ax he could easily file for wrongful termination if Mac and Charlie are still there.