Amph The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Tunes, Jul 14, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think he was actually yelling three words simultaneously. [face_laugh]
  2. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Finale time. Looking forward to this.
  3. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    ....what just happened?
  4. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I know this will come as a shocker, but I thought it was great. :)

Uplifting end to a season that had very little uplifting subject matter. I hope this show lasts for many years to come.

One thing though- I thought Patton Oswalt was going to make an appearance this season?

And high Jane Fonda is brilliant. She and Sam Waterston have incredible on-screen chemistry.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    "What I have can't be taught." [face_laugh]

That actually felt almost like a series finale rather than a season finale, what with it wrapping up (or providing some degree of closure) to almost every character. It was a nice, uplifting finale.

It was also very, very funny- probably one of the funniest episodes they've done this season. From the running gag with Sloan to the quote above. And on the serious end of things, I suspect the Republican speech will have a lot of youtube hits in it's future.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  6. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    It did have closure, but then so did last season with only a couple of potential dangling threads in terms of secondary/tertiary storylines. That did happen here as there is every chance to fight back on Genoa finally, and it was progression, but not resolution to the smouldering chemistry between Sloan and Don. Many years ago Sorkin did talk about leaving seasons on a cliffhanger and what that could do if a show was cancelled. With West Wing he usually knew before finishing the final episode if they were getting a new season, whereas here, they have to have everything completed before they even show the first minute of the season so I can see why he'd make sure that there was resolution as a "just in case" measure.

And it was a great episode. All the beats felt natural and built off everything that they started with from the opening scene of the first episode of this season. There's been closure to the entire love knot surrounding Maggie and Jim, with the resolution also having Jim voice the transition that Maggie had taken over the 2 years of time since Mac and Jim first walked into the ACN offices. I REALLY want them to keep Zimmer around now, and expand what we see to include more of Elliot (have her play offsider as Sloan does for Will). More brilliant interplay from Waterson and Fonda, with Harden sparking off that too (another please keep around character) and giving us the joy of watching Reece trying to take the high ground and Charlie pulling the rug out from under him. And finally an evolution to Will and Mac which fits and was needed, because there is only so long that you can push the way that their relationship had been hanging.

It will be interesting to see where they take the series for a third season if Daniels and Sadoski are correct in that there will be a third season. It closes out almost a year ago in universe and some of the news since then would be interesting to navigate. Syria being something that you wonder whether they would try to wrap in or just leave alone since you would need to do so much to try and have it make sense with any Genoa fall out (similar to how West Wing dealt with September 11 and war in the Middle East happening, but passing by any politics surrounding that being ordered). And with no new season having been announced due to what is being linked as scheduling things properly with/for Sorkin, could a longer break give them more news to work with and allow for a push into a later slot in the year's programming?
    DarthTunick likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, one thing that did concern me about this season was the amount of time they jumped through to allow for both the Genoa and election coverage- they went from a nearly 2 year buffer to less than a year. I'm not sure that's enough distance to properly utilize the news stories like they have been doing (the whole "we know more than the characters do" thing is limited if things are still ongoing or recent).

I'm kinda hoping the third season slows it's gears down, timeline-wise, and focuses on the immediate post-Genoa timeframe for the whole rebuilding-credibility storyline that this season implies is coming (which would help them extend the buffer a bit more in the process).

That way, if there is a fourth season, it won't be handicapped by being too close to present day.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Sep 16, 2013
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I'd imagine that season 3, along with the actual real life news stories (Sandy Hook, Syria come to mind), will feature a fictional event that helps to bring back News Night/ACN's credibility, since it was a fictional event (Genoa) that started the crisis to begin with. I'd hope that Dantana is featured some, because that lawsuit isn't going to go away, and has to figure at least in the early parts of next season. As for the finale, it was a mostly robust ending to a strong season... though I do very much like the pairing of Sloan & Don (the aforementioned "What I have can't be taught" line was brilliantly funny, and the looks the two exchanged toward the end was a niiiiice touch), the subplot of Sloan's "signature" in her book from the auction was more annoying to me than funny.

Though Will is an unabashed schmuckhole (ie: it wouldn't have been terrible if Mac had turned down his proposal), say his marriage to Mac goes through without a hiccup, it will provided for interesting scenes/subplots, etc, for the future. There simply also needs to be more scenes with Reese, Leona & Charlie (quite the turnaround this season for Reese & Leona to be on News Night's side. Who would have figured that last season?) together, and since Gary & Neal (though it would never hurt to have more Neal in this show) figured in some prominent subplots this season, how about other supporting/supplemental characters doing the same in season 3?

I also hope that Maggie is given a chance to have some stability in her life that doesn't factor Jim at all on romantic level, because one can never be too sure how long they'll keep Jim & Hallie as a couple. And of course, bring back Constance Zimmer & Marcia Gay Harden!
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Sep 16, 2013
  9. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Between Boston, Sandy Hook, Trayvon Martin, and even this shooting today, I think Sorkin has not only enough news to work with, but a theme to work around in guns and violence.
  10. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Quite the season finale! Jane Fonda was again awesome-especially when she's apparently high as a kite. I loved the continued gag of Sloan getting cut off: "Are you doing this on purpose?" "No, but it's working out remarkably well."
    Also loved Don's decision to counter sue. I'd love to see that court case. I want to see Jerry go down.

Biggest surprise was definitely Will and Mack. I'm glad they've moved on, but it seems like they missed a few steps in making up (dating again, living together). That said, it has always been made clear how long they dated and how they felt about each other, so if they are going to jump straight to marriage, at least this couple makes sense. Also loved that Don bought the book and Sloan finally made a move.

Overall, I definitely found this to be a stronger season compared to season 1. Sure the Genoa stuff took a while to get going, but once it did, there was suitable payoff. Additionally, I'm glad the entire season wasn't spend solely on Genoa and that they actually spent the last two episodes set in the aftermath of the meeting. Still, I really hope this isn't just brushed aside. I personally want to see Leona's kickass courtroom outfits that she's intending to wear. :cool:
    DarthTunick and heels1785 like this.
  11. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Jeff Daniels just won Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series. Beating out Bryan Cranston, Kevin Spacey, and Jon Hamm- wow.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  13. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Holy ****, holy ****! It's so niiiiiiiice to be pleasantly surprised like this. :D

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!
  14. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    more like The Jews' Doom
    PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    I loved his speech. It's always great when its the actors who themselves don't even expect to win.
  16. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    I think there are a couple of things people need to remember when they react to this. The first is that despite what people might have thought of the writing of the show, Daniels' portrayal of Will was brilliant in and of itself. That alone is enough in my books as I do believe that of the six nominated were strong and deserving no matter which one won.

But there's also the other factors. The shine was starting to fade a little on Mad Men for various reasons. Because of the overall opinion of the weakness of season 2 of Homeland I never thought Lewis was going to get the love from the voters. There's still a lot of hesitancy around the new media platforms as exhibited by House of Cards being the only show recognised, and only in the 3 main categories, so Spacey faced an uphill battle from the start (and if it wasn't for his or Robin Wright's pre-existing name, I think there wouldn't have even been more than 1 nomination). Downton I think many view as having had it's moment of recognition and so needs a stellar showing to take any further awards. Lastly, this vote was taken before the second half of season 5 of Breaking Bad started showing, so before the best work of Cranston's career. And people knew that this last part was either going to be the gold it has been, or fail miserably (unlikely from the start) and so the nod for Cranston would come at next year's Emmys. Which it should off Ozymandias alone.
    DarthTunick and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Sorkin may delay Season 3

Even though the second season has wrapped, HBO has yet to renew "The Newsroom" for a third season. Many have been wondering why.
    Showrunner Aaron Sorkin wrapped the season with a finale that more than a few have said would work fine as a series finale considering it brought closure to almost every character and story arc.

At last report from the network, HBO was "in discussions" with Sorkin about continuing. Now, Sorkin himself told Indiewire at the Emmys that he still has yet to commit to writing another season: "I need time to think about it."

The show itself has come under a lot of criticism, from its treatment of women to the bluntness of its politics. The second season in particular also underwent some major production issues which saw Sorkin reshooting massive chunks of the first two episodes[IMG] (the main reason why the season only went nine episodes instead of ten).

Sorkin is also occupied right now with penning both a musical, and a Steve Jobs biopic. HBO likely wants a third season though, especially after the Emmy win, but it seems likely the gap between seasons will go longer than a year this time.
  18. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    As long as there's a season 3, I can live with waiting longer for it.
    heels1785 likes this.
  19. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Last season :(

But at least we get one more :)
    DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't mind that. It will give them a chance to create a definitive ending to everything, and provide a focus for where the story goes in the third season.