main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Newsroom

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 14, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Great first episode tonight - looks like a packed final season ahead.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Only thing I found predictable was Sloan's puzzle. Still a great scene at the end and I love everything out of Sam Waterson's mouth.

Darth Tunes and heels1785 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "I completely understood the story the first time." [face_laugh]

Darth Tunes likes this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I wasn't too interested in Sloan's story line for much of the episode, it did pay off greatly at the end. A possible hostile takeover of ACN via previously unknown Lansing half-siblings? Nice. Though this Neal stepping-in-it with classified gov't documents is too reminiscent of the Genoa-story line, nonetheless there's intrigue there. Some good stuff too with Elliot & Maggie in covering the Boston Marathon Bombings, and I enjoyed Will's "takedown" of the healthy meal Mac had left for him on desk, as opposed to the french toast/bacon he had requested. A very nice start to this season.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "Neil Run."

Oh man. What is Will doing. Great episode tonight.

The2ndQuest and Darth Tunes like this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Also, Toby Flenderson!

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    *Neal

Good interplay between the different story lines and I really liked the way they handled the confrontation between Reece and the twins.

Also, I do like "The West Wing" shout-out with the use of Equatorial Kundu.

Darth Tunes and heels1785 like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    And another Sorkin show alum makes an appearance. Hi Mary McCormack!

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So this isn't Newsroom news, but alums Jane Fonda and Sam Waterston have signed on for a Netflix comedy series entitled "Gracie and Frankie."

The jist of the show is that two wives (Fonda and Lily Tomlin) find out that their respective husbands (Sam Waterston and MARTIN SHEEN) are in love and planning to run off together.

First, thank you Almighty for placing Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen on the screen together. Second, I can't wait for this show.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    An absolutely strong episode last night... one wonders how long it will take for Neal's source to be revealed, and if Neal (or Will perhaps) ends up in jail for any length of time. Also, I absolutely loved the little bit when Rebecca corrected Will concerning the restaurant assassination scene from The Godfather.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This season has taken a very dramatic shift in direction. Be interesting to see where they take it. Though I kinda miss how Season 1 was mostly centered around looking at on news stories from about a year to years prior in retrospect. Even though we had the Genoa arc last season which was pretty strong, even that was based around an actual news event but repurposed. This FBI raid kinda takes things further away from where the show started.

I mean, it could be a good thing, but, still, I miss the old thing.

12. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    No Leona! Don't sell ACN!
    Charlie calling Dominos was great.
    And Mack getting revenge by having a loser table at her wedding.
    Will vs the assistant AG was well done. Can't believe Neal fled the country so fast.

"For now, just go drink—home! Just go home" - Words of wisdom from Charlie

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    About Main Justice...

What I liked... Reese & Leona's scene in Charlie's office (that he was surprised they were able to find); Gary's reaction while walking into the ACN Newsroom; Don & Sloan vs. the HR guy; the source revealing herself to Mac at the Correspondent's Dinner; the scene at Main Justice, particularly Will's take down of the gov't representative; Charlie's discussion with the possible new owner for ACN at the Correspondent's Dinner; Maggie/Jim/Don in the control room; Charlie's bluff to end the FBI raid; Neal's in Venezuela!

What I didn't like:... Mac & her FBI agent friend's back & forth concerning Mac's wedding; the Maggie/Jim/EPA story line falling a bit flat.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I love that Leona grabbed Charlie's hand when he figured out what was going on. And then Charlie stood up for Reese and Leona to Will and Mac.

Jim and his girlfriend are irritating. Worst scene of an otherwise strong episode.

Don's enjoyment gained from toying with HR is hilarious.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I cried.

That was great television tonight. With great music.

16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    "We are sworn enemies now he and I!" [face_laugh]
    "Did you see Charlie?"
    "After the show. He was cleaning his 12 gauge with maker's mark and muttering kill the wabbit" [face_rofl]

Excellent episode. Everything with Charlie and Pruit was great. But that end!
    And Will DOESN'T know the source! So now he's going to jail to protect Mack!

Darth Tunes likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sorkin fans will remember Josh Lyman's connection to "Ave Maria" as well, from West Wing. That was a beautiful rendition last night, really beautiful.

Yodaminch likes this.
  18. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I can't help but be disappointed with The Newsroom. I loved West Wing and Sports Night and even liked Studio 60. A fan of all of Sorkin's films too. This show has fallen far short of other Sorkin shows. Unlike all the others, I just don't find many of the characters likable (I do like Charlie, Sloan and Don, Leona, Reese and Alison Pill is growing on me). It is hard to root for them.
    Actually think this third season is shaping up to be the weakest. I'll keep an open mind for the final episodes but overall this has been a let down.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

The first thought I had was that "Wait, are there TWO sources?!":p It's a great sacrifice he's making for Mac, and though it didn't move me the way it did for heels, the ending montage was incredibly well done. Reese's dismay at having to not-air the source's story, Sloan/Charlie trying to find an alternate buyer for ACN (and how boastful Charlie is in telling-off Pruitt, in what he thinks will be the last he'll see of him, was fantastic), and the Don/Sloan/HR subplots were all great. What wasn't great? Jim/Maggie/Ethics Guy/Hallie. Why? Because now we're going to get either a reunion of Jim & Maggie, or enough scenes between the two hinting at one. UGH.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    No no no no no no please oh please no

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

What happened? Missed it, but am now morbidly curious.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    charlie heart attack, dead

currently my status is inconsolable

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    This is worse than delores landingham. I am still in mourning 4 hrs later.

Rip one of the best characters in forever