main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The next Novel Contract - Updates from Sue (Spoilers Allowed) (Announced!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Some interesting stuff from the Official Site Forums:

Whether it be a series, a trilogy, or a standalone, it seems inevitable that we're going to get something post-LOTF. It's also nice to know that negotiations are coming along.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    So what is it about the Invincible cover that she was talking about?

3. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Post LOTF?

*Bangs head against keyboard*

Man! I just hope she was sincere in saying there'd still be emphasis on other eras, because I'm reaching wit's end with the current era!

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    LOFT? LOFT? I ban you, Sue! Ban!

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Well hold on, what with Luke being single again they may be planning a "Luke Skywalker: Bachelor" type series where he gets a loft apartment downtown and has to readjust to the dating scene. :p

6. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Hopefully its really post-LOTF, then we can get "The Conquests of Roan Fel The Great."

7. _Erasmus_

_Erasmus_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2007
    Cue ominous music...

8. BaneOfTheSith

BaneOfTheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2007
    i hope that post LOTF involves the passing of the torch.

i've been on board from the HtE trilogy, and i've loved the characters. but at some point, we really need to move into the new era. i would love to see a subdued power struggle between;

Kyp - maybe the obvious replacement
    Jaina - probably the best suited for the job, assuming the galaxy is still at war
    Ben - heir to the Skywalker legacy, but totally unwilling

...to see who fills the vacuum left by the death of Luke Skywalker. no one wants to face it, but if told well, could be a great story.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    With Jaina on the cover of Invincible, maybe she can assume the title of Sword of the Jedi, and go on to stab people with it in the next series.

Also, Baron Fel and the Empire of the Hand!

As for Old Republic --- maybe there's a chance that they'll be taking that idea for a 9-book series set in the Old Republic off the shelf --- you know, the one that ended up becoming Legacy of the Force? New Sith Wars, anyone?

10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    You don't have to read any of the post-LOTF books if you don't want to. Anyways, none of this is really new news. I really hope that we see more of Ben and more new characters brought to the forefront.

Oh yeah and one more thing: please bring back Seha Dorvald! Her and Ben had some great chemistry together. They'd be interesting together even if they never get romantically involved. [face_praying]

11. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    That would be nice. Then again, I've been hoping that of whatever the series of the moment was since the beginning of the NJO almost a decade ago, so I'm not holding my breath.

-Paul

12. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Post-LOTF -----------[face_thinking] [face_money_eyes]
    Old Republic---------:eek: [face_praying] [face_thinking] =D= [face_dancing] =P~ :cool:

The terms Old Republic and post-LOTF need a lot of clarification.

Old Republic: KOTOR, TOTJ, Bane, New Sith Wars, Phanius? Andeddu? Millenial?

post-LOTF: More Big Three (undoubtably), but Legacy is also post-LOTF...

-The Rebel Gungan

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Boo on post-loltiff. That's Dark Horse territory, dammit.

Hm, come to think of it, boo on Old Republic. That's Dark Horse territory, dammit.

I guess boo on book contracts in general.

14. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    There is a lot of territory out there. Post LOTF doesn't mean Legacy and Old Republic doesn't mean KOTOR. It could just be a continuation of the the Bainite order.

That would actually be a sweet series

Darth Bane
    Darth Zannah
    and so on until Darth Plagieus or Darth Sidious...

Or it could be the New Sith Wars which are relatively untouched.

-The Rebel Gungan

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Come on, and do the unexpected! I want a Xim trilogy!

16. TuskenTommy

TuskenTommy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2006
    I really hope they extend Del Rey..I went from a causal reader before to a power reader with Del Rey..I like the current authors ALOT. Denning, ALston have a passion for STar Wars & it shows.... Great news from Sue. Well great news about a new post LOTF series & more old republic stuff...

-IMO it's a no brainer for them to keep Del Rey based on quality. So IMO it comes down to money$$$.... I am drinking this cold Dew (on ice) celebrating...

17. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Even if they were to switch publishers, that doesn't mean we couldn't get more work from our favorite authors, after all authors like Zahn, Allston and Stackpole wrote SW books for both Bantam and Del-Rey. So no worries on that front.

18. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    As unlikely as it is, I would like them to give the contract to someone else than DR. DR's other novels are usually good - minus Jedi Trial - but it's magnum opus, the gargantuan NJO-DN-LotF mess, is mediocre as a whole - there are good books there among the pile, I admit it - and is now ending in a self-defeating crash. They spent over 20 novels and short stories in NJO to create a grand story and an uplifting ending and now they are spending 12 to destroy what they achieved in NJO(much of what they achieved wasn't that good, but it's beside the point). Why should they get the new contract, when they would likely again be like children on a beach, spending lot of time building sand castles and then destroying them?

Post-LotF: More Big Three and Ben, the Boy Wonder. Personally I am hoping for a series of post-Legacy novels. Extremely unlikely, though.
    Old Republic:perhaps some PT novel also, but probably just Darth Bane 3. Not a bad thing, that, true, but the sad thing is that I don't really see them having the courage to explore the pre-PT Old Republic era more. Except if there would be a KOTOR MMO and then we would get some tie-in book.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Post LOTF...I suppose we're due for a retelling of the Original Trilogy, given that LOTF seems to be recapping the prequels. :p

Old Republic...could mean some Prequel trilogy-era stuff, which would be nice.

You know what I'd really like? I think it's time for another "Adventures of Young Film Character" series or standalone. No one wants every single moment of a character's life documented, so it's best done sparingly, but I think we're due for one. Young Qui-Gon has been all but untouched, and he could fall under the Old Republic banner. Lando Calrissian has only had tantalizing hints at his early adventures. Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Boba Fett have all been done several times over, but there are still wide gaps in their stories that have yet to be filled in. Mace Windu, or one of the scads of military officers. Heck, even a Padme novel could be interesting, seeing as how there are almost no stories with her pre-TPM or post-TPM, pre-ATOC.

TC

20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Doubt if I can find the page, but some time recently, someone asked Sue if there were any chances of a young Leia story, and Sue said that that was something she had been pushing for.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Roan Fel is the villain of the series after Legacy.

;-)

Luke kills him.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The sixty year old obvious replacement? The problem with Kyp as Luke's heir is the fact that he's less than a decade younger than him. It's like Pope John Paul's replacement, we're not exactly dealing with a man expected to lead for generations.

23. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    As a new leader Kyp would be there just to keep the seat warm for Ben.[face_plain]

24. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I know this will make me universaly hated but, if jacen survives LOTF they could do a trilogy of Jacen finding his way back to his old self

25. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I would like that myself. But I guess that chances of that are as high as getting that trilogy about Xim someone wished for...[face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.