main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The next Novel Contract - Updates from Sue (Spoilers Allowed) (Announced!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Post #1000!

Edit: The Jaden Korr novel just got a whole lot more tintillating --- which we didn't think it could do --- and a Nomi Sunrider novel? Wow. Just wow.

The teaser about Fate of the Jedi is actually very exciting, as well. Will we actually get to see the Aiing-Tii monks, up close and personal? Luke reunited with Akanah? Very cool. With The New Jedi Order concluding that there is a grey side of the Force, and Legacy of the Force concluding that the Force is only light and dark, I wonder what implications on Force philosophy this journey of Luke and Ben's will have. Will it also establish that Vergere wasn't a Sith? One can only hope... in any case, it should be good. With SW comics as good as they are, and a lot of these books looking saliva-worthy, the next few years will be very good to fandom, indeed.

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Come to think of it, that sounds like they're re-backtracking on the "Vergere made Jacen a Sith" thing, if they're focusing on the journey as the cause of it. Good for them, if true. [face_dancing]

3. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    W00T! Vergere was an...Enigma. Or i hope that is how it turns out.

Had to get that out there with the whole Enigma title.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I can honestly say that this is some of the best news I have read about the future of the Expanded Universe novels in quite some time. :D

I daresay that the mood of these boards my shift slightly towards the "excited/positive". :p

--Adm. Nick

P.S.

Hmm, no Ackbar novel yet... :p

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    PRAY! PRAY TO YOUR FISHY GODS!

6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    NOMI SUNRIDER! NOOOOOOOOOOOMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

/we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Wow, if that one is about Wynssa Stareflare and if the Jaden Korr book really also dips into the great hyperspace war then I'm very impressed with their apparent committment to explanding into new eras - for the novels - and giving page time to minor characters).

Also I'm...hesitantly optimistic that the FOTJ blurb indicates an increased possibility that the official take will be that Jacen became dark as a result of his journey not because Vergere corrupted him from the start, or it was some master scheme. Of course revisiting it has as much chance to screw things up more as save it. I'm...nervous. Because on the one hand, there's little I want more than confirmation that Vergere wasn't trying to turn Jacen into a Sith, on the other hand, if that's not what I get I'm going to end up having yet more material to fanonically retcon for myself.

Also this journey with Luke could be spun as a continuation of Ben's 'graduate' training, sort of like the YJK graduated the academy and had their own sabers and everything at the end of their own series, and then went off to do, like, field training. Because that would make me happy.

And I'm intrigued that the horror novel is set between ANH and ESB. I'm not sure why I find that so surprising but yeah, my first response is, "Ooooh, creepy era..."

But, just one more time:

NOOOOOOOOOOMIIIIII! YOU'RE COMING BACK! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU! KISSY KISSY KISSY!

7. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    A little late to the party here, but yeah. This looks to be sweeeeeeeeeet.:D

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    NOMI!!!!!

I'm... excited. I can't help it!

Where's the Jaden Korr book on that list, though? I may be being dense, so excuse me if so, but I couldn't see it. Nor the Traviss Fett book.

But the standalones really intrigue me.

Additionally, I've never been more excited for FotJ than right now; Aing-Tii, Jensaarai, Fallanassi, Theran Listeners, Dathomiri Witches? [face_dancing]

I'm loving the step back from Vergere, but I wonder if they'll step forward towards it towards the end... or reveal she's not dead, or some-such. There's got to be a huge twist in there, somewhere. New characters in FotJ 2? Ooooh.

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Impressions, impressions, for I am greatly impressed.

Outcast. I still remember people wondering about what happened on Jacen's Force journey. Looks like we're about to find out. Definite potential to retroactively improve LotF, here.

Horror novel. Between ANH and ESB, curious place to set it. Removes a lot of the possibilities, but I suppose they could still use Sith aspects if they tie them to Palpatine.

Great Hyperspace War? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Nomi Sunrider? Either they resolved the difficulties with the name, or we get a whole book just calling her 'Nomi'. Unless it's a prequel, of course. Still, excellent news.

Lastly, is that a potential Fel-centric book I hear? Best-sounding contract in quite some time.

I assume the Jaden book is the one partly set in the Great Hyperspace War, and I'm guessing Marka Ragnos will be somehow involved. Traviss/Fett book is March 2011.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Good point, there. I hope so. Ole Marka has yet to feature in a book in person.

And I see the Traviss book, now. Got carried away with the FotJ love. :oops:

11. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    This contract is shaping up to be VERY exciting. These are indeed good times to be a Star Wars fan--especially a Star Wars fan who has been following the EU (and not just the movies). It seems they're finally branching off into previously under-developed eras and I, for one, couldn't be more pleased. [face_praying]

I mean...Nomi Sunrider.... Wow. Take that automotive industry! We won't bow down to your four-wheel supremacy any longer!

12. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    While one or two of these novels sound like they could have the potential to be interesting, I remember that these are the same people responsible for the LotF travesty and I get queasy. I have absolutely no faith in these people not to make a huge mess out of everything they touch. LotF was the last straw for this fan.

13. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Just to clarify, we have it on the word of Randy Stradley himself that the Sunrider thing wasn't a Jeep thing. Apparently people heard "legal issue" and the only thing they could find was Jeep - but the real issue was the Veitch had used the name in other published work, and that tangled things up. Apparently they're now untangled, in any case, which is good for us!

14. Renasko

Renasko Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2007
    Good for us? That's an underestimation, if anything. [face_laugh]

I mean, it frees up the chance to have Nomi material, which could lead to a lot of great things. Possibly in the shape of her daughter, Vima, who really needs some time. I'm still annoyed she was omitted from KotOR because of legal issues.

This could spell a really great time in SW.

15. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Oooooooohhhh....thanks for the clarification.

But, in light of that...man that was sort of irresponsible of Veitch. [face_thinking]

No matter! Sunrider has been restored to her fans!!

16. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    All I'm excited about is the prospect of more Traviss novels centered arounds clones and mandalorians. [face_plain]

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Wow. Just wow. I'm excited. Looks like Del Rey's been listening.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Your name seems rather ironic then...

19. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Awesome blog, the future is looking pretty special right now. The Nomi Sunrider thing is fantastic news, and i've never even read TotJ! She's just a really iconic Star Wars character. I'm still looking forward to finding out more about the horror, and the Jaden book is getting even more eccentric, I mean what next?

The FotJ tidbit was big news for me though. I'm one of those who have been wanting to hear about what went on during Jacen's journey since we first heard about it so thats a massive draw for me to read the series. However its also a good thing from a more general perspective, as it has immense storytelling potential and gives the opportunity for Ben to grow as a character with new adventures - under the tutelage of Luke himself, who will no doubt be more involved in the action while still behaving like a Master. I think seeing Luke in a Qui-Gon role is something we've needed for a long time.

Lastly the Reaves collaborative effort looks fun. Reaves seems to be setting himself up as -the- author for the Dark Times though dosn't he? At least its my guess that this will be a DT novel, albeit one set as the Rebellion begins to hot up. Thats a good thing in my eyes, I find his books excellent. There certainly seems room for some older established characters to return as well - Wynessa Starflare for a start, though maybe a cameo from a certain Garik Loran maybe?

20. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Yeah, the direction they're apparently taking Luke - away from the Grandmaster and more toward just being a Jedi, albeit one who's with his son and still teaching - is a very good one. I'm hopeful about the execution of it.

Looks like FotJ could neatly dovetail with MF; the latter ending as the former begins, perhaps? That would make sense, given what we know of both of them. Could even be that something found in MF is what provides the impetus to leave for Luke and Ben.

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    And this 'attack on the Force' could dovetail with Luke and Ben discovering some mysterious threat is decimating the other Force cults. Interesting.

22. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    White Eyes and the One Sith, anyone?

Though that might make for some continuity headaches, I can't help but think how cool it would be to see Luke taking on the entire Sith order single-handedly.

I don't even really like Luke and that thought gets me excited.

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Either the gestating "One Sith" or the ancient "True Sith" would make for interesting future adversaries for Luke and Ben to go up against in the new series -- the latter, particularly depending upon where the status of KotOR III stands at the moment.

The former is still the likelier candidate, though. I don't really see LFL rolling out the "True Sith" in force until after whichever next KoTOR game hits the shelves. The thought of the Skywalkers knowingly brushing up against the early fringes of A'Sharad's order (in the aftermath of Lomi and Welk) would add some new wrinkles and twists to what John O.'s already thrown us, continuity-wise.

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Never gonna happen, but how about this: Luke finds the One Sith, holds them off just long enough/stops their evil plan/whatever, then dies. Nobody knows about them, but now the Sith have to hold off on their plans for a few generations.

25. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, but the problem there is that we know that Luke comes back as Force ghost, so wouldnt he then be able to warn everyone of the threat of the One Sith ?

26. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    He could be unable to come back for some reason... [face_worried]

I really like the idea of Luke dying facing the entire One Sith too much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.