main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The next Novel Contract - Updates from Sue (Spoilers Allowed) (Announced!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Or, he could just think they ought to deal with it themselves, or feel that the Force didn't want him to tell them about it. Wouldn't be unusual, coming from him.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Or Obi-Wan, or Yoda, who could have warned Luke about Lumiya and Caedus.

3. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    I just like the idea of him dying.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Details certainly change opinions around here, don't they? ;)

Very exicting teases. This looks to be a very diverse contract. And more Seeley cover art can only be a good thing.

5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Yeah. I totally meant to mention that and got distracted with other things... Dave Seeley = MAJOR WIN in terms of cover art. Haven't seen much of his stuff in the last few years, sadly enough. Will be good to have him back.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I really like what I'm seeing. My only hope is that we get a Qui-Gon novel somewhere down the line.

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Actually a Qui-Gon book would be great if they ever write anything from Yoda's OJO prior to the Clone Wars. They really should spell out how and why he was different. I mean he rediscovered the Force Ghost technique. It's odd that it seems the bulk of what has been written about Qui-Gon has been in specifically children's books.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Some of the new novels sound really intriguing, funny enough, I didn't think there would be this much improvement, although after how badly NJO and LotF burnt most of my Star Wars optimism, not sure how much I'll be looking forward to each book. I never thought Zekk would ever get another novel, and as an old YJK fan, I love that he actually getting his own book, but I'm also... afraid what else they might do to him. The "never give up hope" shipper part of my mind hopes for some romance Jaina, but logically, I know, I know that's about likely to happen as Waru showing back up *glances around warily*.

After LotF, another nine-book series like FotJ doesn't inspire much... hope, but I would be interested in seeing what Jacen saw on his five year sojourn, since arrogant Jacen never bothered to share much of what he learnt. I'd love for Luke to learn all those unorthodox tricks Jacen knew, like Aing-Tii stuff or maybe see how Luke would do with Fallanasi techniques now that he's older and... well, hopefully the Fallanasi won't use his "taint" from LotF to refuse to teach him.

Not much interested in horror, or Darth Bane, and FotJ really doesn't catch my interest much so far, and I'll probably never read an IC book, considering the direction the RC books have gone. After how disastrous LotF was, with two of the same authors returning for FotJ, I just hope they do a better job of connecting plots (I don't mean pet characters, I mean important stuff, like a galactic war that's supposed to be going, though hopefully we won't be overloaded with useless Mandalorian stuff for a third of the series this time, given the new author involved.

Nomi Sunrider... maybe, just maybe, it might be good, could be very good, but I'm also kind of afraid how her story will go, since I thought she had a somewhat happy/complete ending at the end of TotJ. She had reconciled with Ulic and was ready to focus on her daughter's training. We know the Sunrider line survives until past the OT era, but sometimes less details is better, especially in that post-TotJ era. She hasn't appeared yet in KotOR, but with how dark KotOR is, with no real end in sight for KotOR's doom and gloom (Republic wrecked, most of the Jedi Order dead by the end of that era) I was hoping they would just leave her fate uncertain. At least its nice to see more eras being focused on. I'm minorly excited, but most of this stuff won't be here for a few years. Oh well, here's hoping MF and Mindor start out a new and better era of novels.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Or else, George should relent and allow Luceno to finally write that long-lusted-after Qui-Gon/Darth Plagueis novel he first proposed back in the summer of 2005...

10. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    I absolutely agree. Plus, Qui-Gon is the man.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I only want it if it actually confirms that Plagueis created Anakin, rather than fading out at the end with the possibility hanging there...

Also it should involve Qui-Gon learning of Force ghosting from the Shaman of the Whills.

If all it does is leave us with the same "who knows?" feeling as the films, I don't see the point.

12. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I'd prefer it confirm that Plagueis didn't create Anakin, but rather Sidious himself.

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I have the feeling that Luceno probably wouldn't even want to take on the project if Lucas didn't allow him to answer most of these questions. There'd be no real point to just going through the motions and spinning the wheels if a few big things weren't finally going to get paid off at long last.

He talked about it at some length during the summer of 2005 in the Insider, but yeah, it depends on how deeply George is going to allow folks like Jim to drill into the continuity-wellhead. You'd think that something like Plagueis wouldn't be as much of a hugely-sensitive area for him, as opposed to, say...Yoda's origins, or something...but I suppose we'll see.

15. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Like the openness of did Sidious create Anakin or did the Force? Rather they not answer that. There is still plenty of room to cover with a Sidious/Qui-gon novel. Sidious backstory, his relationship with his master... Qui-gon's path as a Jedi... Dooku Jedi Master stuff...

Plus, it would be interesting to see the contrast between Qui-Gon and Sidious as they both were looking into life after death all that and Qui-gon is the one who found it.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO that conflicts with TPM.

17. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I took it to be Sidious -- if he wasn't just saying what Anakin wanted/needed to hear. Didn't Palps at first say Plageuos taught him the secret to create life? In either case, I believe Sidious had no intention of saving Padme because he knew it would drive Anakin further to the dark side and to him if he lost her.

IMO, they should never, ever reveal it to be one way or the other. This is my favorite area to speculate on. A really good Tales story would be cool though, as long as it stays non-canon.

18. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hey, remember how we all thought that Darth Bane: Rule of Two was a replacement for the Plagueis novel? Yeah, well, it turns out that we read a quote from Sue wrong...

Shelly called me late last week to propose an additional hardcover this fall. THIS fall. Yep. Del Rey figured the market could bear one more, and since the Darth Bane novel was a hit, a follow-up, written by Drew, seemed the best idea. So the untitled Feb. 09 hardcover (previously the "Plagueis" novel) has been moved up, and Drew agreed to continue Bane's story. So we're off and running.

If you read that carefully (which I definitely didn't last summer), it says that Rule of two was an additional book for the old contract, and that whatever was replacing Plagueis was being moved up. Sue said a few days ago...

So Millennium Falcon is part of the old contract. How about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.