main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Next Stage

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    My Place of Employment has a deal with Wells Fargo bank where we get some benefits for banking with them. Needless to say I'm considering making the switch. Does anyone here bank with Wells Fargo, and if so how would you rate them? Can you usually find a convenient ATM or do you have to go out of your way?

Thanks for the info.

2. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    ATM locations: never a problem
    Overdraft: steep. But wow! they have been really nice in removing a few in the past

I would like a clearer understanding on delay of Deposit posting, overdrafts & how quick you deposit to recover them.

other than that, they are great

3. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I banked with them for almost a year and I left them in a quick hurry when they said that they would have to take 5 dollars out of all of my paychecks for me to deposit them. But you will have problems with any bank.

4. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm not particularlly fond of Wells Fargo. The hefty late fees really annoy me, and they didn't give me a loan, even though I used my older sister and her fabulous credit. She's left them as well. They've also screwed up on a few fines I wasn't supposed to incur since I'm on a student banking account.

My family banks with them, and they seem to like Wells Fargo. *shrug*

5. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I personally have had no problem with Wells Fargo. I started with Norwest, but Norwest was bought by WF about 6 years ago, and I've been with them ever since. Finding an ATM...sometimes hard, but that's mostly because I don't know where they are outside of North Scottsdale.

I've never had fees to deposit my paycheck, thats odd.

6. ChoadsGirl

ChoadsGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    They put all withdrawalls in the system before deposits... so for example.

Say you know you are getting paid tomorrow and during the day tomorrow you go out and write 6 checks and use your DEBIT card 5 times. At midnight the system will start by deducting the 5 debit cards and any of the checks that have gone through, THEN they will deposit your paycheck for that date. This means unless you already had enough in to cover all those DEBIT and Checks you've bounced a bunch of them. It can get messy.

7. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I didn't read any of the responses IA but my experience with them has been very positive. I use their online banking and am rarely at a loss for a convenient ATM. In fact, they are building a new banch less than 1 mile from my house.

8. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I too have been with Wells Fargo since they bought out Norwest. The only problems I have ever had have arisen because of something I did...like balancing the check book incorrectly or taking a chance and writing a check too early.

Other than that, I've not had any problems and I can usually find an ATM in just about any city I go to without much of a search.

9. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Actually, several of you are under a common misconception. Norwest bought Wells Fargo, not the other way around. They chose to take the Wells Fargo name because it was the more well known of the two.

A similar thing happened when Allied Signal bought out Honeywell. But that, as they say, is another story.

10. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Choad's Girl...that's why you never spend money before you have it...lol ;)

11. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Now, the question is, what about up north? I grew up in MN, and had a Norwest account. Nobody had ever heard of Wells Fargo there...I wonder if they're still Norwest there.

12. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Nope. Norwest is now, and has been for some time, Wells Fargo. They needed to update their computer system and instead of investing the money to make their own they bought Wells Fargo in order to use their computer system.

The Wells Fargo brand was made famous in a lot of Westerns in which the Wells Fargo stage or Wells Fargo bank was robbed by bandits, hooligans, anti-heroes, and the like.

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Down with banks!!

Put your money into a Credit Union. Why? Go to any bank, listen to their shpiel, get the *real* story on their interest rates, their checking account policies and bouncing/overdraft fees. Thank them politely. Then go to a Credit Union - get their info on all the same things - interest rates, checking account policies, overdraft fees.

You'll never look at banks again.

Desert Schools Credit Union is rather prominent around the valley, and you'd qualify for membership there since you work for Rio Salado.

You can withdraw at any ATM - granted, you get the ATM fees, but since you're saving so much money already just being at a CU, it doesn't matter much.

14. KREATOR

KREATOR Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    I banked with them for several years. Up until about 3 months ago.

Overall they werent bad. Steep OD fees but no worse than my bank now. My biggest factor was when I needed to get my wife off the account since we are divorced. They told me I had to close the account and open a new one. I understand this is common practice for banks. What drove me away was that when I told them that I was thinking about about switching to another bank that didnt even bat an eye. What happened to customer service...going the extra mile?

When I told Direct TV that I wanted to cancel they offered me something I couldnt refuse. Free equipment, free installation, discounted premiums etc. They treated me like I mattered as a customer to them. I had only been a customer for 5 years. I had been with wellsfargo for 11.

Overall though not a terrible experience...just the last days disappointed me.

15. ashliepink

ashliepink Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    When I lived out there, we never had a problem.......

16. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    id give ya my opinion of wells fargo.. but it would include all sorts of words that would get me banned :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.