main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The nexus of fandom and logic (was: A little experiment)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    By now some of you may have seen this post at TFN from last night, but for those of you that haven't...

I'm conducting a little statistical experiment concerning the Star Wars EU and fans' feelings about it. What I require is a large sampling of people's opinions on various stories and elements of the EU, on a simple 1-to-10 scale. A more thorough explanation can be found on the survey page, but it's important to the results that the full purpose of the questions remain unknown for now, so you'll just have to humor me. The survey runs until February 18 (at which point the survey place will want to start charging me :)), and I'll be posting results hopefully by the end of the month - I'll want to get it done as soon as I can manage, based on how interesting the responses have been thus far. Until that point, I admit there won't be much to talk about in this thread, but I'll dredge it back up when the time comes. Thanks for reading!

2. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Is there anything in particular you ar elooking for, or just a general cross-section of fan reactions to EU events? Just wondering...

3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If I told you what I was looking for, it would ruin the experiment. :p

Just go by the directions on the page - your immediate, natural reactions.

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Amusing...though the information seems rather specific...way to go...now I'm gonna spend the rest of the day at work wondering what possible hypothesis could be derived from the scaling of those selections...I've already got like 6 and I've only been at it for 5 minutes!

GAH!

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    In all fairness, it shouldn't be really difficult to figure out. You guys are welcome to speculate here...I just won't be commenting. ;)

6. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    I was torn on a couple of those between whether or not I liked something from an In or Out of Universe perspective. Sometimes they were conflicting- some things make sense in-universe amd therefore I have respect for it, but it may not be my personal ideal outcome.

Do you want our answers to totaly be just what we, as fans like, or should we take it in the broader context of the SW galaxy? Sorry if I'm making it too complicated. :-B

7. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Agreed. I raated Anakin Solo's death sort of high because it made sense and was totally epic as much as I personally didn't like it and disagreed with it. Similarly with Chewie's death. But mara's death a rated fairly low because I felt that even in-universe it wasn't necessary at all. It didn't make sense why she didn't tell anybody else about what she knew and what Ben told her, and I still don't view Jacen as a legitimate challenge to a seasoned Jedi Master like that despite how much he's being set up.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the trick there is to look at the event "sans-characters".

Don't include your emotional investments or lack-there-of...it allows for you to go "that was really cool" even if you were bent over screaming in grief and put a dent in the drywall from the hurled hardback.

Give credit as far as what's on the page...otherwise we might get surveys that are straight 10s or solid 8-10s, and that's not helpful...

At least...I'm assuming it's not...or is it?

probably not...

but maybe???

maybe not...

still...

:cool:

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, I added my two pence worth..

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hadn't seen it before, but I don't check the news much. I'll bite.

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I filled it out; I'm intrigued.
    I'd hazard a guess that it's got something to do with how the EU is perceived in light of the main themes of the movies.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I noticed this seems to focus on certain EU topics and avoids others.

13. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Done! And intrigued...

14. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Very interested as to what the results will be, after seeing these questions.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah me too. I did the survey at work earlier today.

16. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Did it. Does this have anything to do with what fan reaction would be towards Anakin Solo's return?

17. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Could someone who hasn't already taken the test please post the questions here? I'd like to see them again.

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I voted!

Erm...wait...what was I supposed to do again?

19. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I went through the survey, but honestly I don't know if you'll get the results. (The submission is taking FAR too long to get through, at this moment.) But I felt some areas were lacking in the polling. (Such as testing the waters of REALLY off-the-wall novels/series/concepts.)

20. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    What exactly is meant by "the return of Thrawn?" Is this a reference to an actual event, or just simply asking how you would feel about him returning?

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    How can you know what was lacking if you don't even know what it's for?:p

22. BennyM

BennyM Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007
    Filled in what i could, not a whole lot, but more than half. hope it helps

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Added my voice. Felt... refreshing.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Thank you. :D

All the entries pertain to already-existing things, not hypotheticals. "The return of Thrawn" is referring to his coming back from the Unknown Regions to fight the NR.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Huh. I underrated it then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.