main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And it begins. Dennis Green is fired by Arizona. Not a big surprise there. He is who they thought he was. And since they didn't want him around, they fired him. But he was he they thought he was.

Thought we could use a thread to speculate on who might replace him in Arizona, who else might get fired, who might leave on their own will (Saban and/or Cowher), and who might get some other jobs out there.

2. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Mora is canned as well.

Saban: News Papers in Alabama reporting UofA has offered 40 million dollar 5 year deal to him (UofA will pay buy out) Salary will be approximately 4 million a year.. with the rest of the money being available in bonuses (winning the NC, the SEC, etc.) In any case if he accepts will be THE highest paid coach College Coach.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Mora Story

He's a good coach, simply lost his supporters and had teams that faded down the stretch. He probably deserves another chance somewhere else in the league.

Hopefully Atlanta brings in someone willing to use Vick to his talents, and not try to make him a seven-step drop passer.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Mora's comments about the University of Washington didn't help his cause either. None of the firings so far are surprising really.

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In fact, I'm willing to bet that without the comments about the UW job, Mora's still coaching the Falcons.

6. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think you'd be right, but in an indirect way. If it was just that comment, then no I don't think he would've been fired. But it was that comment that sucked the morale right out of his team, making them unable to win passionately despite their talent. His comments - and his dad's comments - destroyed the team this year.

If it was just the comments and the team didn't let it affect them, then they would've won more, probably made it to the playoffs and Mora would still be coaching. But his comments produced a snowball effect that was unforgivable at season's end.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  8. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    There's also supposed to be a news conference today in Davie, Fl were Saban will be discussing his future with the Dolphins.

[image=http://www.dutch-starwars.com/database/personen/pics/nute_gunray_3.jpg]

At last we are getting reeesults.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    The Cardinal's are stupid for firing Dennis Green. :)

10. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    CBS reports Dr. Whitt and Mal Moore are IN Florida or In-Transit. Also reports Jim Mora Bobby Petrino and Paul Johnson are listed as the B list.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Cardinals should not have fired Green

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I just lost a ton of respect for Nick Saban and I truly feel bad for Dolphins fans this morning.

Saban bolts Dolphins, takes Alabama job

Nick Saban is no longer the head coach of the Miami Dolphins as he has just informed his assistants via conference call that he is leaving Miami for the Alabama job, team sources have told FOXSports.com.

Dolphin players had told FOXSports.com that they believe Saban has made up his mind to take the Alabama job.

Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga is expected to make an announcement that Saban has done what he claimed for weeks he would not do, and that is go to Alabama.

Last night after meeting with the Dolphins owner Saban met in South Florida with Alabama AD Mal Moore.

The entire murky affair began weeks ago when reports first surfaced that the Dolphins head coach would be Alabama's top target to replace Mike Shula. Saban denied he would be leaving South Florida, but the rumor persisted.

For the last month or so weekly stories insisted that Alabama was targeting Saban, but the coach emphatically stated he would not be leaving Miami. Alabama, however, was clearly waiting to make a run at the former LSU coach and reports in Alabama stated the university was willing to comply with every demand Saban threw at them from financial terms to the size of his staff to his assistants' salaries.

In the meantime, people close to Texans assistant coach Mike Sherman told FOXSports.com that Sherman met with Alabama officials last week. However, everyone else contacted about the job knew they had to wait for the Crimson Tide to make their run at Saban.

I hate it when people in his position flat out lie about things like this. Last week, he straight up said he was not going to be going to Alabama. All he had to say was no comment, or that he'd address it after the season. Now, he's gotten tons of fans hopes up that he would stay, raised his hand back, and right out ***** slapped them.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I agree 100% with you, ASG

14. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    ... Or maybe you know he didn't want to pay Wayne 15 million dollars for breach of contract and therefore had to deny interest in any job by the 'Fins one.

Plus there was no way that Miami would have had a better year next year, and 3 losing years is about as good as any NFL coach can expect before being terminated. The offensive line was OLD, the quarterbacks stunk, 1/2 the team were free-agents.. it was only going to get worse.

15. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I believe he said the same thing at LSU and then eventaully took the Dolphins job.

I don't really blame him for saying he won't take the job otherwise you could end up with a Mora situation. Plus this way he could get more out of Bama, since he could play the "I'm committed to the Dolphins" card.

So...

If I was Huizenga I would have fired him immediately when he asked to speak with Alabama, or demanded to know his decision right away (Monday). For me it would call into quesion Saban's judgment. Either you're committed to the Dolphins or not. And by taking an interview with another club that shows me you are not, so I'd fire him and make his decision real easy.

16. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    Dennis Green is a good coach. I hope he ends up with a team that will appreciate him.

17. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    Saban? Saban who? What a piece of ****... Than again, I never liked the guy anyways. He never tried to build anything around the fans, the players, and the community; nor did he ever try to change the perception for himself either. If he didn't want to be here than he shouldn't have took the job. He should have sat down with his family an really decide was this going to be the best fit for him. But no instead he says I made a mistake... What the hell is that? I made a mistake... Get out of here... All he did was screw the hell out of the fans, the team, and especially the owner. Wayne Huizenga has spent millions of dollars for Nick Saban. He has spent it on Saban's salary, Saban's assistants salaries, and the infamous practice bubble as well. He has allowed Nick Saban total control of his multi-million dollar business. And in return Saban jump ship and took the money and ran...Thanks Mr Huisenga -- he really stuck to him. This guy would have never been the man in the NFL. Than again Wayne Huizenga ant no better either. He let Nick Saban run this team however he wanted. But an assistant coach can't say ONE WORD to the media? The general manager he hired two years ago has not been able to give ONE interview. His quarterback NEVER speaks to the local media about anything? How does Wayne Huizenga believe this is helping his investment? I've never felt further removed from the Dolphins than I have the past two years. And since they're not winning or playing well, I almost find myself rooting against Saban and the organization. (I had the opposite emotions with Wannstedt. His teams were losing too, but I was rooting for them ... For him ... For the team.) Saban what an ******* In two years he was 15-17. In two year he did nothing to make me say wow! He came in talking about how he was going to rebuild this team, and saying all the right things; and then he takes the money an runs... What a joke! I'm glad that "SOB" is gone... Get us someone down here who wants to win, and is focused on the task at hand... This franchise is weak and deckdent... Huizenga needs to pull his wallet out an get us the players we need. The offense needs so much improvement it's not even funny. An we need a QB that is going to be relible. I'm tired of this every year losing, losing... He says he wants to win...he needs to spend the money and do what ever it takes to get this team back into shape. We haven't had a QB since Marino, and we'eve gone through 6 couchs in 9 years. That is horrible! As for Saban: don't let the door hit you on the way out...No good Bastard!

Inty Edit: You have to *out the whole word!!!!

18. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I have a sinking feeling that we're going to see Cowher added to that list. :(

19. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    You can have Mike Shula..

20. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    "I have a sinking feeling that we're going to see Cowher added to that list."

I'll take him anyday...give him a shot. He'll definitly help the offense out. He could definitly be the spark we need. He'd definitly turn this team around.

21. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I lost all respect for Nick $aban today as well.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    If Cowher leaves the Steelers, it's not to go to another team. He'll do it to get some him/slash family time. He won't hop to another team.

Now, when a season or three go by and he misses the NFL, then you can speculate.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Completely agree.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised to not see him again on the sidelines, but instead when he returns, having it be in the form of a GM/front office role.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    It's sad to see a coach with that time in an organization go, though. It's a rare thing, that you probably won't see down the road, with the way the league is going.

Get rid of the salary cap, if you're an owner spend some money. If you can't afford it, sell the team to someone that can.

25. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    So the openings so far are:

Arizona
    Atlanta
    Miami

Most Likely:

Pittsburgh

Whisenhunt is going to be in Atlanta today and I think Arizona tomorrow. I believe Rivera has some interviews scheduled too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.