The NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    It's Tomlin

Having read up on him, this hire excites me. Not as much as Rivera would have, but I don't think the organization could have waited until February to hire its next head coach, so Tomlin makes a lot of sense. Young, energetic, and he has a good pedigree.
  2. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    Bill Parcels just announced his resignation from the Cowboys. Sure was nice of him to wait until three assistant coaches left, before he made this decision. :mad:
  3. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I was just about to post That.

Could be a good fit for a guy like Russ Grimm, who didn't quite get the Steelers job, although I'd imagine Jerry Jones will go for a high-profile coach. Obviously, a name like Pete Carrol will fly around, but I don't see him leaving USC for the Cowboys.
  4. Rohniss Jedi Master

star 4
    SEC (college) sources are reporting that Arkansas' Houston Nutt is definitely on the short list. for the Pats job.
  5. DarthIC2 Jedi Master

star 2
    Raiders just hired the OC from USC, Lane Kiffin.
  6. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah it seems he really screwed them over, what with apparently acting this whole time like he would be back and then suddenly deciding to retire after many good candidates are already taken.
  7. Juliet316 Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 7
    I was wondering how Cowboys fans would take to ol' Bill ducking out the back like he's done with some of his teams.

In other news, I guess this means the 'team destroyer' T.O is staying for at least another year.
  8. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not necessarily. I think whether T.O. stays depends largely on the personality of the new head coach the Cowboys hire. Ed Werder mentioned it this morning on Mike and Mike that if the new coach has the personality to control the locker room, then T.O. might stay. If the new coach is somewhat of a wilting violet, then I think T.O. has to go because that will be a sinking ship.
  9. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Garrett to the Cowboys, role undecided

I'd be shocked if it wasn't just to be the offensive coordinator, for two major reasons:

1) I can't see Jerry Jones just handing over the reigns of a playoff caliber team that easily without trying to get someone a little more seasoned.

2) The Rooney rule. Doesn't appear that they've had a minority candidate in yet, but I may have missed that.
  10. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Jones will go with a more defensive minded coach for head coach, but Garrett will be good for Tony Romo.
  11. JediCouncilMember Jedi Master

star 4
    He may be waiting for Rivera, but also he may try and throw money at Lovie.

Persoanlly, I don't think there is any way in heck the Bears will lose Lovie or even let Dallas talk to him.
    And they have been pretty adamant about saying they will sign Lovie and want him to be the long term Bears coach, etc.

Looks like his extension talks won't finish until after the SB though, and the Bears would be absolutely insane if they don't lock Lovie up and if they win the SB that adds another million or 2 to the deal. I really hope he gets top 5 money.
  12. Juliet316 Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 7
    Doesn't surprise me. From everything I've heard and read Jones is probably one of the more if not the most racist owner in the NFL (Especially back when the Rooney rule only had to be upheld with just a cursory interview via phone call to a minority candidate). It wouldn't surprise me if the next coach was another pudgy, grey - haired guy (in a related note: Jimmy Johnson said he wasn't interested in returning to the Cowboys). And yes, I know my above comment about Jones may make waves, but I don't think it's just my opinion.

While on the subject of the Rooney rule, hats off to Dan Rooney for putting his considerable money where his mouth has been all these years. Best of luck to Mike Tomlin.
  13. Boomer_Athena Jedi Master

star 4
    I honestly think your opinion on Jones is uninformed. I realize he hasn't had a minority coach, but that's not indictive enough to flatout call him a racist. He's been a major frontrunner in making the NFL a new and young league.
  14. Juliet316 Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 7
    Besides the fact that he's only really interviewed one minority coach in his tenure as owner and that was through a cursory phone call to avoid getting penalized in the early days of the Rooney rule?

And I've been working the last couple of days which is why I haven't commented up to now.[face_blush]
  15. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Believe me, there are plenty of things I could agree with about Jones. But, I don't think he's a racist at all. I'd say so if I really did.

I'll tell you straight up, he was sprung on Quincy Carte as a QB. He thought he was a good young man, and he cut him way later than most other coaches would have, because he thought he could help straighten up his personal life.

I seriously think that the only positions that might not ever be held by a minority, would be in the head office. That's only because they're all held by members of the team owner's family. :p
  16. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Marty Ball is Deflated in San Diego

Seemed kind of sudden. I thought if they would go for a change, it would have been more immediate, rather than this drawn out process. Makes you wonder if they have a replacement waiting.
  17. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, I just saw that... shocking. I know he's had playoff struggles, but still, 14-2 and he gets fired? Give me a break.
  18. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    14-2, with a first-year starter at quarterback. I don't think you can ever be expected to win a super bowl (or get to one) with a first year starter at quarterback. Even Ben had to wait until year two. Seems a bit extreme.
  19. Mr_Sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Except that he's interviewed Ron Rivera, Mike Singletary, and Jim Caldwell. And as ASG pointed out, he was practically in love with Quincy Carter. (Unfortunately)

20. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why did they wait for Phillips and Cameron to leave? You're right, they must have a mystery guy they had an eye on all along. As some analysts have said, to keep a lame duck coach but let the staff leave means there must be some ulterior motives.

And I don't care if Marty didn't lose that game against NE outright (his players did), but the guy has done way too many things wrong the last 10+ years.
  21. Juliet316 Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 7
    Yeah but 14 - 2? With a strong chance to make the playoffs with the same core of players next year? If I were Rivers and Tomlinson I would be looking for trades out of SD because it looks like the franchise is about to take the same abysmal dive as the Cowboys and Raiders in losing seasons for decades to come.
  22. Saruman-the-White Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the Chargers are assuming they can just plug a new coach in like the Buccaneers did five years ago, but at least Tampa had a large part of its staff already intact.
  23. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    The crazy thing is San Diego would probably have wanted Wade Phillips or Cam Cameron. Wonder who they'll go with now? I've seen a few names thrown out there: Pete Carroll, Ron Rivera, Gary Gibbs, Jim Haslett, Norv Turner, etc.
  24. Juliet316 Shelf of Shame "Loser"

Game Winner
    star 7
    What I don't get is a week after the season ended they said that Marty's job was safe for the next year of his contract. Why fire him now, especially after a 14 - 2 season? Yes I know the playoff record probably came into play, but why fire a guy after assuring somebody their job was safe?

Unless they think somebody is suddenly available at the cost of some draft picks.....[face_thinking]

Edit: You know, I feel really sorry for Chargers fans. At least most owners had the grace to fire their coaches right away instead of stringing their fans along.
  25. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Marty was fired because he and AJ Smith got along as well as oil and water. They hated each other, and didn't work together at all. (AJ Smith is the GM). I think he did a pretty good job with the Bolts. He brought them from practically nothing to a top AFC West team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.