main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NHL Draft: Now discussing 2000

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Zaz, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    It should be interesting to see who winds up going first overall.

Consensus for pretty much the past two years has been that Tavares would be a no-brainer, but having watched ALOT of him in the OHL playoffs against Windsor... I dunno.. He just doesn't seem to have a complete game...

He's a very sneaky player.. You don't notice him on the ice at all and then suddenly he has the puck in the slot in the offensive zone and is LETHAL there...

Still.. I'm starting to believe that Hedman will be the No.1 pick, and all reports are that Tampa is very interested in dealing that second pick, so i wouldn't be surprised if Toronto DOES get Johnny T...

Duchene seems to have some good character, though, based on that article.. I watched him play in the OHL final against Brampton.. He didn't do much, but then again not many people on Brampton could do much against Windsor. They were a stong squad.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    San Jose traded their 1st round pick away some time ago. But Doug Wilson is apparently working on trading for one. Be prepared for the Sharks to make a move before the Draft begins.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Vancouver actually made a decent pick last year--Cody Hodgson--the first in ages.

6. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, Hodgson was easily Canada's best player at the World Juniors last year...

I saw him play for Brampton in the OHL final against Windsor (haha, i saw everyone play in these playoffs :p) He's definitely a player to be excited about!

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    If Tampa keeps their pick I would imagine they would select Hedman, mostly because they don't need another centreman. They've already got Lecavalier and Stamkos so what are they gonna do? Put Tavares on the third line? Not a chance.

Edit: Oh wait....for some reason I thought they had the first pick. :oops: Well, the Islanders will probably take Tavares and so Tampa probably will take Hedman. :p

8. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    There's a rumor here in Boston that the Bruins are shopping Kessel for possibly the #3 pick this year.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Why?

10. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    He's a RFA and they're pretty tight against the cap.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Got it.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  13. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Zaz, as a Pens fan, I do not like our first pick in that mock draft. The Penguins already have several talented prospects at Center. I would really like to see a talented young winger come in.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Always take the most talented player. You can trade for the rest.

15. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    Usually I would agree with you, however the pens already have Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Talbot playing in the NHL, and the Prospects that they have in Scranton/Wilkes are rediculous. If I were the Pens... Which I defiently am not, then I would either take the best winger/D-man, or trade this years 1st for a next years 1st and 3rd or something along those lines. This is a very talented draft I am almost positive that a team would take the offer.

16. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Eh, in today's NHL you can't sit tight and think you're gonna be able to hold onto your periphery players forever.

And you can NEVER have too much depth.....

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Starts Friday night.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    1 1 1 NYI JOHN TAVARES Sep 20, 1990 MISSISSAUGA, ON CA 6' 0" 195 OHL LONDON C
    1 2 2 TBL VICTOR HEDMAN Dec 18, 1990 ORNSKOLDSVIK SE 6' 6" 220 SWEDEN MODO D
    1 3 3 COL MATT DUCHENE Jan 16, 1991 HALIBURTON, ON CA 5' 11" 200 OHL BRAMPTON C
    1 4 4 ATL EVANDER KANE Aug 2, 1991 VANCOUVER, BC CA 6' 1" 176 WHL VANCOUVER C
    1 5 5 LAK BRAYDEN SCHENN Aug 22, 1991 SASKATOON, SK CA 6' 0" 198 WHL BRANDON C
    1 6 6 PHX O EKMAN-LARSSON Jul 17, 1991 KARLSKRONA SE 6' 2" 176 SWEDEN-2 LEKSAND D
    1 7 7 TOR NAZEM KADRI Oct 6, 1990 LONDON, ON CA 6' 0" 167 OHL LONDON C
    1 8 8 DAL SCOTT GLENNIE Feb 22, 1991 OAKVILLE, ON CA 6' 1" 177 WHL BRANDON RW

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Been pretty quiet so far today trade-wise, which is surprising. Draft Day is normally the busiest trading day of the year besides the Deadline. Biggest trade so far is Pronger to the Flyers for Lupul, Sbisa and a few draft picks.

20. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    I think the Flyers made a big mistake by giving up two first round picks and two players for Chris Pronger. That's alot of potential talent to make a push for the cup next season, espically when you goalie is like swiss cheese.

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I am an unhappy Flyers fan.

A very unhappy one.

22. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    Sarcastic or Serious?

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    That has to be serious. Anaheim made out like a bandit in this trade.

24. big_boss_nass

Nov 12, 2001
    I figured as much. Like I stated a few posts above, the Flyers made a huge mistake.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The Flyers need goaltending. They have always needed goaltending....they should have tried to make a trade for a goalie and then sign Emery if all else failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.