main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NHL Draft: Now discussing 2000

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Zaz, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001

An even worse year--I did not even recognize the first pick--Chris Phillips by Ottawa.

Two late good ones: Tomas Kaberle by Toronto in the 8th; and Sami Salo by Ottawa in the 9th

2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Shane Doan is an awesome player. Complete Package.

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I still think Iginla is better.

4. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I agree with you 100%, I'm just saying Doan deserves to get recgonized in that draft.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    1997 NHL Draft

Joe Thornton went first and Patrick Marleau second; both are very good players without being superstars. Jokinen went third; and Luongo fourth. After that, Hossa went 12th to Ottawa. Other than Matt Cooke by Vancouver in the sixth round, a lot of players are still in the league, but not as Great Big Stars.

6. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Brendon Morrow and Kristian Huselius are the only two other players that are worth anything besides the guys you mentioned.

7. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I think the Bay Area would disagree with you. Particularly Darth Lando. ;)

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    How many times should the Sharks have won the cup by now?

9. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Three or four.

But that's three or four more chances than certain other teams have had. :p

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    That's a choke, that's what it is. That's why Thornton was bounced from Boston.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    1998 NHL Draft

This draft is very similar to 1997. Lots of good players but only Lecavalier and Gomez in the first rounds are break-out stars. Brad Richards (Tampa) and Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit) in the 3rd and the 6th, and a lot of decent players who have played a lot.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Milan Kraft. :oops: Craig Patrick made some great moves. Drafting Milan Kraft was not one of them.

On the other hand, Rob Scuderi turned out to be a pretty good pick up.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    1999 NHL Draft

The notorious 1999 draft was perhaps the worst ever. The first choice, Patrick Stefan, by Atlanta, was a complete bust. Vancouver took the Sedin twins second and third, and unless you count Havlat, a late first-rounder by Ottawa, the rest of the first round was bleak. I recognized only one other player, Taylor Pyatt. In the seventh round, Nashville took Martin Erat, and Detroit took Henrik Zetterburg, but other than that, bad, bad year.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Ryan Malone was drafted that year...he's turned out to be a decent player, but yeah, this draft wasn't very good.

15. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Yeah, you guys are right, that wasn't a great draft. Jordan Leopold is a servicable d-man, and Nik Hagman is a useful forwardjust to mention another couple of guys. Leafs draft Luca Cereda! :rolleyes: Oh man, that's depressing.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Yes, but almost no one else did any better.

17. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I would just love for the Leafs to get lucky like the Red Wings did with Zetterberg. The last late round selection that did really well is Kaberle.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Actually, one thing that I've learned in this thread is that the Leafs haven't really done that badly in the draft, even in the JFJ years. A lot of times it's just a crap shoot. Yes, Detroit got Zetterberg. But even *they* didn't know how good he was, or they would never have left him to the 7th round. And in the upcoming and notorious "European" draft coming up (most of the first round was European), Detroit took two Russians, both of whom whiffed.

19. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I agree, I'm only saying it would be nice to get lucky in the 7th round like that.

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Detroit has a very astute organization, but they've made plenty of bum choices, too. They have a better score in the later rounds than some, but note--they are usually Europeans. Europeans, in my view, need to be very good before you gamble in the first round, and I think after the European draft, they may well have come to that conclusion. Their first round choices are no better, on average, than most.

That's why Burke decided on the Kessel deal, IMO. A guaranteed star for two possible busts. The problem is, I don't believe he thought that the Leafs would be giving up the number two pick, and he didn't consider that the fans want something to look forward to. (It also protected him from accusations that he is a poor drafter. I used to think this, but I have decided it's not true; he's no better or worse than anyone else.)

21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Besides the top three picks and sometimes not even then (Patrick Stefan,) the Draft after that is a crap shoot.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    No kidding.

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The next year is 2000.

NHL 2000 Draft

First overall was Rick DiPietro (the Islanders). He's still there, but only because no one else would touch his very long, very generous contract. The first six draftees are still in the NHL. Then it gets tough. Lots of Russians, Czechs, Finns and Swedes in the first, second and third rounds, of which Frolov and Kronwall are among the few that made it.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Brooks Orpik has a fairly solid pick for the Penguins in this draft. He was taken ahead of Kronwall, who has more points, but isn't quite the same shut down guy that Orpik can be at times.

25. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Wow Visnovsky in the 4th. Antti Miettinen in the 7th. The stuff that dreams are made of.

New to hockey (2005) so playin some catchup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.