Amph The Nitpicker-Column 17

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by MaGnUs Darklighter, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaGnUs Darklighter Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, I decided to share my comics column (already published in Shotgun Reviews, Newsarama and Jazma Online, and formerly in the CBEM) with you guys here at the JC. Posted here is installment 17 of the column, if you want to read previous issues, just click here.

Martin A. Perez (AKA MaGnUs) writes short stories, articles, comics and radio plays. One of his short stories has been published in the book Contagion: War Stories and his articles have appeared in online or print magazines like CBEM, Inforol, Ururol, Kryptonian Cybernet and Strange Days. He co-produces and co-hosts a radio show about comics and related subjects, Perdidos en el Eter. An active part of Uruguay's fan scene, he's one of the creators of Montevideo Comics, the first local convention (since 2002), and one of the founders of Caballeros de Montevideo, which promotes RPGs through charity events. MaGnUs works at a tech-support call center, and is happily married to his wife Cindy, with whom he has a son, Gabriel, who already chooses Spider-Man over Mickey Mouse, and laughs at his father's Darth Vader impersonations.

Hello, welcome to The Nitpicker's Column, where in a completely irregular basis I to your attention some mistakes, goofs, mix-ups and the like, that I find on the comics I read that week. Usually, I'll focus on books just released, but now and then, I'll feature a back issue or two, mostly because I just read it late.

What follows is an example of the format I'll present the "nits" (as we'll call them) I've found:

TITLE: This would be the comic book title in question, such as "Action Comics" or "Uncanny X-Men".

ISSUE: Obviously, the issue number of the title in question.

CULPRIT: Whoever the main responsible for the mistake is, usually the writer, sometimes the artist, and, rarely, somebody else, like a letterer or colorist. Editors, of course, are ALWAYS to blame, so we won't waste our time mentioning them.

NIT-TO-PICK: The description of the nit I found and my rant on it.

NIT-O-METER: I just love rating stuff, so I'll give each nit a rating on a 10 points scale called The Bazzar Scale, in honor of a writer I completely loathe. I don't loathe him because of his nit-proneness, but because of his all-around shoddy writing. You figure out who he is, it's easy.

So, that's it for introduction, here goes the latest issue:

(WARNING! THIS COLUMN MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS!)

Well, did somebody miss me? I know I missed this column. I returned from my Australian trip more than a month ago, and while I was there, I wrote mostly travel logs... and then after returning, I've been working nights at my job, something I enjoy... but I haven't been "in the mood" for writing this column. Not that I haven't wanted to, or I haven't the time, I just couldn't get started. Now, Troy Brown, from Shotgun Reviews, did miss me, and dropped me a not to see if I was still alive.

And there, he kicked me into writing mode. But even if I haven't been writing, I've been still taking notes of the nits I spotted while reading comics each week, so I'm not out of material. In fact, I have so much stuff, that I decided to organize it, and make some themed installments. This one, my comeback, is dedicated to the two storylines that are rocking superhero comics, 52 (from DC), and Civil War (from Marvel). I'm neither a Johnny DC nor a Marvel Zombie, I like both companies the same, and I have my favorite characters and teams in each.

Civil Wars is providing me mostly with the "Dayamn!" moments, while 52 is more of a "I wonder what'll happen next..." or "I think Supernova really is..." kind of book. So, both stories attract me the same, but still, they're not free of nits. So... here it is, without further ado, the return of the Nitpicker!
    <-------------------------------->
    "IT'S IN HIS EYES, THAT'S WHERE IT IS!"

TITLE: 52.

ISSUE: Week 9.

CULPRIT: Keith Giffen (breakdowns) and/or Shawn Moll (penciller), and/or David Baron (colorist).

NIT-TO-PICK: Page 14, first
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.