main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The nitpicking thread: Things you hate in stories you love

Discussion in 'Literature' started by First Of My Name, Aug 26, 2015.

1. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    Obviously based on the Silver Linings thread, but opposite. What things didn't you like in your favorite Star Wars stories? Please motivate your choices whenever possible.

For example, I like the Thrawn Trilogy, but the idea of adding an extra vowel to the names of clones (Joruus, Luuke) strikes me as kind of dumb. It's just so random.

I'm also a fan of the MedStar books but I think it had a pretty weak ending, because of the really predictable spy subplot and how brief the climax was. I feel like more could have been done with this.

I really like the premise of the Hand of Judgment, stormtroopers going rogue and helping people out, but the members of this group felt like some of the blandest characters in the EU. They lacked personality and I couldn't even tell them apart for most of Allegiance.

What are your grievances?

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The Darth Bane Trilogy- The fact that bane gets his ass handed to him more often than not.

Kenobi- The fact that a lot of times Anileen came across as a b****

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Pellaeon's "gardening" speech in Destiny's Way - didn't seem consistent with his previous characterisation.

4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The Clone Wars: I hate how the Separatists come across as incompetent. Yes, by watching the show, the Separatistate do seem like a legitimate threat and I think the war is portrayed very well (I think the Separatistable win more than in the multimedia project and there are some brutal battles), but the Separatists often come across as a joke and it cheapens everything the achieve. Also, I can't stand Anakin and Dooku fighting all the time, it makes no sense with ROTS.

The Darth Maul TCW arc: this one deserves its own place. This is actually one of my favorite arcs and it's well executed. But I have to say the whole concept is ridiculous. I feel it cheapens Obi-Wan's achievementioned of being the first Jedi in a thousand years to kill a Sith (this is only mentioned in the EU but I do think it's important story wise even if it isn't canonically mentioned) and Darth Maul's survival doesn't make any sense. He was cut in half, fell down a giant pit, on a hostile world. Also, Palpatine would have felt that he didn't doe amd so want to finish the job; failed Sith don't survive very long.

I can't think of any others right now.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Lately I've come to dislike Jacen's arc in a majority of the NJO (that he's featured in). Basically, the entire period from BP-SBS.

As Ulicus commented to me, I think the Vergere controversy is all Stover's fault.

Uh, I dislike what Open Seasons did with Jaster Mereel. I don't see any problem fitting The Last One Standing with Boba Fett's backstory in Attack of the Clones.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't like C3PO.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I really enjoyed X-Wing: Mercy Kill, but man, it sure did not have a lot of action in actual X-Wings. (Or starfighters in general).

Revanfan1, StrikerKOJ and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    KOTOR 2: My main problems are the rushed ending, glitches, bugs, and all the cut content that was not put in, because of Lucasarts's greed to rush the game out by Christmas that year.

9. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    KOTOR: Personally I can forgive a lot of the decisions to make the Old Republic look more familiar then Tales of the Jedi, I mean it's still been a solid 16,000 years since the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order was established and so, logically, been at least that long since interstellar travel and communication was all but perfected, why would technology and everything look massively different? HOWEVER, putting a Yoda-race in charge of the Jedi Council, giving Malak respiratory problems are a bridge too far. Ebon Hawk both name and designwise could have done with a bit more originality. If wish they'd arrived at TOR's Defender-class, without having the Ebon Hawk as a half-way point between it and the Falcon.

Sanctuary: Talked about this before, but while Anakin is off doing his thing, Talon Karrde and Kam Solusar are wholled up in a cave. Kam uses his Jedi senses to keep them on alert. Then, just before the end of the book, they try to send out a whole ships and they die, and then they get radiod that Corran, Jaina, Jacen and the Errant Venture are in system. You had one job, Kam.

DelRiego likes this.
  10. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I forgot the biggest one: using ANOTHER Death Star in ROTJ. If they wanted another superweapon they should have gone with an original design, not merely a bigger version of what they had before. Feels kind of cheap.

I really like the second half of ROTS but showing the Death Star under construction seems a weird choice, timing-wise. It took them a few weeks/months (?) to get that far, but the rest nearly 19 years?

I wish Del Rey had made more consistent use of some characters that popped up occassionally and then were forgotten about for ten books (Karrde is a big one, but also smaller characters like Belindi Kalenda from the Corellian Trilogy, and the secondary cast from Truce at Bakura for example, they added a diversity that the EU mostly lacked).

Agreed, I love KOTOR but the Yoda stand-in, Vader stand-in and Falcon stand-in are weak points. It's logical from a marketing perspective but feels unoriginal. Or maybe they wanted to give players some familiar Star Wars-y things to latch onto on their first foray into the past? Probably the former.
    Still a great game though, I actually started replaying it yesterday and ordered the comics omnibus online today.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It take place 4,000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire.

12. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    I know, but 4000 is nothing when Obi-Wan's "the Jedi have protected the Republc for a thousand generations." was interpreted as a literal 25,000 years, before which either the Jedis were first created or only the least recent galactic government that we know of was established.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is still 4000 years, 4000 years of technological and aesthetic evolution, and for all we know so could the Republic have begun as a planetary alliance in the same solar system or two-three close star systems that tuck years to travel between in ships that needed gigantic power plants for their primitive hyperdrives to function.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I hate that YDR ends. I wish I was still reading it.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I still hate that Legacy was cut short by some 30 issues. [face_sigh]

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That ROTJ occurs at/on Endor, not Coruscant. Coruscant would make more sense as the location for the final battle against Sheev and his forces.

That TOTJ contradicts itself so much. Naga Sadow's appearance, lineage, and titles all changed from comic to comic.

17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Dude I was totally going to post this. :D

I reread YDR like once every two months and it loses absolutely none of its value. Just an amazingly well-written novel.

But per the thread's question... toooooo many to count.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Not really, as the whole idea is that the Emperor is building his new Death Star in secret to lure the Rebels into a trap. Not going to happen If he was building the thing above his Throne World.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014

And maybe in the new EU that is the case. It already wasn't anyway in the canon KOTOR took place in. And it's 4000 years of aestetic revolution starting from a culture that has advanced to the point of interstellar travel 10,000 of years ago. By then they should really have decided that pants are pretty rad idea and all that. Some planets can be super medieval, but a space military that spends all their time on spaceships can look like a space military if you ask me.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

:confused:
    [​IMG]

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Your cultural bias is showing.

22. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014

Yeah, the leftmost guys helmet is a pretty familiar but other then that they don't have anything in common with the movies other then they are clothing for humanoids.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Why would they? They are not the Clone Army, Judicials, Seps, Imperials or Rebels. Though funny enough they do have a certain similar look to the Naboo Security Forces.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Revan goes around in cape, chestplate, skirt and lioncloth and he's my favorite character. I'd have liked to see the planet where his fashion sense come from, but I don't begrudge Taris ect. theirs.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would have been awesome! Leia has a role in that final battle and hashes things out with Vader.

At least another 50 issues were needed. Keep Krayt dead and add more scenes with the Yuuzhan Vong!

Gorefiend and darklordoftech like this.