main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NJO Critics Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jades Fire, May 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I realize that, but for those wanting to save money the SE DVD release *isn't* as horrible as the SE theatrical release (or VHS release), mostly considering that the only unwatchable portions are the Han/Greedo cantina scene and the poor X-Wing voice-actor redubbing of Vader in the inserted scene on Bespin -> Star Destroyer.

I can live with Lapti Nek being replaced and the Yub Yub being replaced for anamorphic widescreen goodness, I think... ;)

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    dp4m

I realize that, but for those wanting to save money the SE DVD release *isn't* as horrible as the SE theatrical release (or VHS release), mostly considering that the only unwatchable portions are the Han/Greedo cantina scene and the poor X-Wing voice-actor redubbing of Vader in the inserted scene on Bespin -> Star Destroyer.

But doesn't that DVD also include the addition of Hayden Christianson at the end of RotJ instead of Sebastian Shaw? For me that was a HUGE mistake, and Shaw will always be the redeemed Anakin Skywalker. He, looked like a happily redeemed father, proud of his son. The Hayden Anakin looks like Luke's kid brother, and has kind of an evil grin. And that Hayden Anakin was the one who did evil deeds. He shouldn't be seen as the "redeemed" Anakin. He seems to be rewarded for doing nasty things, because he gets the handsome body of his youth, while poor Yoda and Obi-wan are stuck with the old, tired bodies they died in. It certainly doesn't seem fair!

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Can I join this club? I'm okay with NJO and the first two DN books but really hate Betrayal and had to make myself finish The Swarm War. It took me more than six months to force myself to get through TSW, which is an incredible record since I was able to finish another book of about the same length in one sitting.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We're not really fussy or picky Sil...

Of course, if you like NJO, you may have to endure us carpet-bombing a story you like but, it does say NJO critics, amongst other things, on the door! ;)

JB

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Welcome, Sil. And if you thought I laothed the NJO... I kid! Sorta.

Well, we do lambast these 'literary works'. But with good reason, since they really are pretty bad.

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    On Betrayal to my friend: I read it, yes. It's...interesting, but I dunno how it'll work when the other authors get ahold of it. Especially Denning.

Me on what I think Denning will do: My sentiments exactly. Jacen's gonna nuke Coruscant with some unknown power that he learned while he was traveling the galaxy. And then he will stop the spin of the galaxy and make it run...in reverse! AH-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! It's so evil.

And "Luke magically knew from reading the ROTS novelization that Jacen was going down his father's path. He hoped to correct it by pointing out how his father killed Padme. But Jacen shrugged it off as the warnings of an old crow. Much like his father did."

"And Luke found Jango's headless body. Jango warned Luke of Mace Windu's rage and suggested he find Nelani to confirm that yes, she was a descendent of Mace and she died in much the same manner. Further repeating history and plodding along in much the same way. And lo behold he found DOOKU! Warning Jacen of impending doom. But Dooku had plans of his own. To take over Jacen's body except for his head."

Me on Traviss: But nothing will compare to Traviss *****ting every Mandolorian warrior in existence.

Please prove me wrong you EU contributors.

7. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    To take over Jacen's body except for his head.

Sort of like that movie where the guy's hand is possessed and he gets laid by Jessica Alba?

I always thought that's what Star Wars fandom was building up to.

8. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    My solution to the Jacen issue is to kill him. Betrayal and TSW ruined Jacen for me and I felt no regret when I had Allana stab him in a fanfic. In fact, I still have the urge to follow up that supposed one-shot. Betrayal's a waste of space on my bookshelf and nowhere near as good as Allston's previous books. The book's also just ruined the Sith for this villain fangirl.

On Bloodlines: I'm not sure if I'm even getting that unless Karen Traviss comes to Barnes and NOble and signs it. Then I can sell the signed version on Ebay.

On Tempest: I'm listening to reviews before I touch it.

On Exile: Probably not buying or reading that.

On Sacrifice: I'm not optimistic about it.

I think that's the entire listed of titled LOTF books.

That's understandable, since even though I like it, I still have my complaints and it's still nowhere near as good as the other SW stuff, like Labyrinth of Evil and X-Wing.

LOL I'd like to see you write fanfics. Bet yours would be good.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Thank you. They'd be mostly comedies on how badly the SWU is becoming constructed.

"Luke reached for his lightsaber. Granted he always reached for his lightsaber, it could be some Mon Cals selling Mon Calamari scout cookies and he would reach for his lightsaber. Years of war might have done this to him. Or maybe it was the author's attempt to make him seem keenly aware when they ran out of options. It would look rather silly if he dashed across the room over some innocuous reason. Hence reaching for his lightsaber seemed natural. It said, "Don't mess with me," with the sensitivity of a hedgehog."

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd be interested too, Fire_Ice_Death. You have a singular wit and ability to cut through Sithspit.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Thank you. Why I believe that's the best compliment I've gotten in a while. By the way, I edited the post to give you some idea of what I would have in mind. Dunno if it's funny, but I like it.

12. DarthAllana

DarthAllana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2006
    It's funny. It's part of the reason I don't like Luke.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I've never liked Luke, even when I knew he was just a movie character and not a book character (a longish time ago when I was young and stupid). And I still don't like him. He could be such a good character if authors didn't make him into a parody of his movie-self.

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Sorry about the sock post. DarthAllana's the sock that I use to goof off in another fanclub and not meant to turn up here.

Go us! He was a little stupid for my liking in ANH and too power-hungry/dictatorial in DN and LOTF>

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Agreed. He was pathetic in DN. He should be renamed Luke Skywalker; I'm too blind to see threats in front of me Jedi Master. Sorry, I hate Luke, but in no way shape or form would he ever be as stupid as he was in that book.

16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I usually like Luke, but his behavior in DN was not very wise. There were at leats dozen of ways he could have solved the Jedi Masters crisis, but he choose to give himself the title of a supreme Grand Master... :rolleyes:

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Is it just me, or does 'Grand Master' sound like a rap title? 'Grand Master Luke' all decked out in bling-bling, his lightsaber emitter looking like a microphone...

18. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Grand Masters are usually voted in, and YJK Luke and previous would have waited for a vote before he got that title. But no, he proclaims himself the Grand Master, with no vote, makes him sound like the Emperor, right?

19. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    On the Swarm War's cover, he looks a bit like Emperor. :p

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Agreed. And I really hate DN Luke because his actions made TK leave the Jedi Order. Well, all the more reason she should be Jacen's new apprentice. I really hate Dictator Luke, Grand, Over-sized Mouth who's forgotten the definition of democracy.

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I see this thread has regressed from an NJO Critics' Club into a Bash Luke Skywalker thread. That's disappointing. I happen to really like the character, though I feel he has often been written very poorly over the years.

22. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    We're bashing the way his characterization has dropped past YJK.

23. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    We all remember that DelRey?s first choice for the bubble-bursting shocking death in Vector Prime was Luke, right?
    Well I think they really did kill him and that guy that?s been calling himself Luke Skywalker for the last six years is a fake. And after looking at the cover of Swarm War, I think I know who the imposter is.

CoW, I know why it seems that Fire_Ice_Death, SilSolo, SuperSaiyaMan12, Amon_Amarth, and RK_Striker_JK_5 are bashing Luke?s character. If they dared to say anything bad about the authors that created the ersatz Luke and editors that allowed the denigration of Luke?s character, they?d find themselves banned.

Luke bashing, it seems is allowable behavior, calling the authors/editors to task for ruining one the best fictional heroes of the late 20th century isn?t allowed any more in this forum.

Give Striker and his friends a break, CoW, they are protesting in the only safe way they can.

24. magehound

magehound Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2006
    I think I could do this. I stopped reading NJO for a while after Edge of Victory II. The whole NJO was just so Dark! There was little to no hope Anywhere, from book to book allies fougt, innocents perished by the thousands, Jedi were deriled and executed. It was almost all in all, very depressing. And then I read about Anakin's death in Star by Star, which would have been the next book i bought. That did it for me. I stayed far away from SW, wanting to actually read something where the good guys win, like back in the old SW book days. I have only recently prurchased the rest of the series, mainly due to my fascination with Jacen Solo and..um, another character[face_blush]..and i feel that the turning point for the series was actually Traitor and Destiny's Way. But, anyway, I could give objective opinions..gods know i do it about everyhting else..so am i in? :D

25. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004

Luke bashing, it seems is allowable behavior, calling the authors/editors to task for ruining one the best fictional heroes of the late 20th century isn?t allowed any more in this forum.

You realize that it only moves the author bashing from these forums to our websites, 'cept that I never update mine most of the time.

Heya mage! I'm okay with the darkness since I'm a huge Sith and Yuuzhie fan, but I have a problem with all of the dropped plot points. What happened to Sword of the Jedi? What happened to Allana? What of Jacen's confrontation with Onimi? How did Tenel Ka, Zekk, and the rest of the YJK crew totally disappear in Vector Prime without any mentions? How did TK end up with the wrong amputated arm in Joiner King? Then there's this whole NJO Jacen characterization thing that's bugged me from Vector Prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.