The NJO Critics Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jades Fire, May 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. tapioca_city Jedi Knight

star 3
    How is Danni a stereotypical blonde?

Unless blondes are considered intelligent and scientifically gifted these days.
  2. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    Example of a characters actions running in the opposite direction of the her exposition, which is Del Rey's biggest fault. She is said to be what you said but acts like an idiot.
  3. tapioca_city Jedi Knight

star 3
    Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain singularities to me? I don't really understand what they are.
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    A microscopic black hole. In other word, bags of flesh are making tiny black holes.
  5. tapioca_city Jedi Knight

star 3
    Weird.
  6. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Precisely, blond and intelligent in the Delreyverse = idiot.
  7. waterplayingsquib Jedi Knight

I like Squibs. So shoot me.
    *slinks away*
  8. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Your desire is granted!

<JB pulls out a Squib Machine Gun - This gun fires special Squib projectiles, you take a squib, stick it in a steel can, seal and roast and then you fire the roasted rodent at its relatives and repeat the process!>

JB
  9. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
  10. LosDosMos Force Ghost

star 3
  11. waterplayingsquib Jedi Knight

*dies*

*returns as a clone named Emaala*

Ha! I shall never die!
  12. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    Besides, Squibs don't compare at all to Lepi Smugglers..

13. SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Master

star 4
    From an intelligent review I just read, I may actually pick up Betrayal...and that is a scary thought to me...
  14. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Not a problem, I'll just keep blasting!
  15. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    If you respect the written word and your mind you will avoid like the plague. It's a rough draft for hardcover price.

I was talking to a friend today. He queried me "Do you like New Jedi Order or Dark Nest more?" I simply responded "Do you like ebola or leprecy more?" Actually I'd have a very hard time deciding on which one is worse.
  16. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    simply responded "Do you like ebola or leprecy more?" Actually I'd have a very hard time deciding on which one is worse.

Well, there is always Star Trek...... [face_devil]
  17. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    :eek: How can you even suggest such a thing!?
  18. Dewlanna Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    A better alternative would be non-franchise SciFi/fantasy.
    There are a number of good SciFi and fantasy series out there that are not based on movies or TV shows.
    The better ones seem to come from one creative mind, not an editorial staff and hired pens.

I'd recommend the Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold, Anne McCaffery's "Ship" books, her Pegasus/Rowan books, the Pern books (if you are into dragons, I've heard they are good, not my cup of lum)and her various trilogies such as the Crystal Singer books and the Freedom books.
    David Eddings' Belgariod/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli books fun to read.

I'm sure other disillusioned SW readers can recommend other "good reads"
    There is no need to rot your brain on what passes for Star Wars these days.
  19. Jades Fire Jedi Master

star 4

This thread has degenerated into a social thread. So what happened to the edict handed down earlier? Are there levels of social behavior, some of which can be allowed and others which cannot? Is mindless social behavior (pretend role playing) okay, but serious off-topic social behavior off-limits? Is drive-by one sentence social behavior okay, but not serious discussion of other SciFi/Fantasy? It doesn't appear as if it has to be related to SW, unless taking out a blaster and RP-shooting another poster is SW related.... What are the rules for allowable social behavior? Apply your rules evenly and fairly, regardless of your feelings for the opinions expressed, or recind your prior edict that this is not a social thread.
  20. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I like STar Trek. Right now, Star Trek's product is leagues better than Star Wars, to be honest.
  21. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can't agree with the latter, but I, too, like Star Trek. I think I'm boycotting all of LOTF indefinitely unless I hear some really good news.
  22. Crox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Squibs are awesome. They're like giant bunnies, except they like to take your money.
  23. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    This thread has degenerated into a social thread. So what happened to the edict handed down earlier? Are there levels of social behavior, some of which can be allowed and others which cannot? Is mindless social behavior (pretend role playing) okay, but serious off-topic social behavior off-limits? Is drive-by one sentence social behavior okay, but not serious discussion of other SciFi/Fantasy? It doesn't appear as if it has to be related to SW, unless taking out a blaster and RP-shooting another poster is SW related.... What are the rules for allowable social behavior? Apply your rules evenly and fairly, regardless of your feelings for the opinions expressed, or recind your prior edict that this is not a social thread.

Well, from my standpoint, there isn't a cut and dried answer to this question. Moderating isn't an exact science, but conducted within the framework of making the boards best for everyone. Again, for me, a certain level of off-topic behavior in any thread is fine, as long as it serves to build the community, and it doesn't consume the thread. A Squib jokes here anf there should be fine, because the thread can quickly be brought back into focus. In short, a brief intermission of off topic posting isn't the same as a permament thread derailment.

However, if the thread switched into an in-depth study of Star Trek timelines, and/or people were arguing about who the best Enterprise Captain was, a warning would probably be given.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it helps with what you asked.
  24. Dewlanna Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    Well it answers why the virtual blaster battle was allowed. And I agree that it's ok for such things.
    Hey, it was nice to see someone having FUN with Star Wars for a change.

What it doesn't answer is why serious discussions that branch off into real world discussions that will be coming back to SW discussions were suddenly a problem resulting in several unwarranted bannings.

I suspect we know the answer.

Unpopular (with certain people with some level of authority here) opinions about Star Wars and world politics were being expressed in terms that were not couched in a humorous manner.

I think some people do not want to see serious discussions happening in this thread.
    That might lend too much credence to our basic premise that Delrey and LFL have lost what we considered that ?Star Wars? feeling.
  25. Crox Jedi Knight

star 1
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.