main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Non-Bashing Star Wars Discussion Forum (an idea)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    BobtheGoon I do post in Basher debate threads. That is not my point. I would like to participate in discussion that is just people who like the films. It offers a new choice. I don't mind posting in basher/gusher debates.

Seldon

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    BobtheGoon I do post in Basher debate threads. That is not my point. I would like to participate in discussion that is just people who like the films. It offers a new choice. I don't mind posting in basher/gusher debates.

Somehow I don't think you read my post, as you addressed absolutely none of my points. ?[face_plain]

3. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Bob you have an opinion. I don't know what you want me to say. I don't agree. You don't know how this forum would be if there is yet to be a forum. We don't know how it would work.

You think that it would fail. I don't.

4. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Yes, but I've given reasons why it WOULD fail. All you've said is that we haven't tried yet, so no one really knows.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    If basher/gusher wars appear, do what the mods in the other movie forums do - use your mod powers. People will either get the hint that certain behavior won't be tolerated, or they'll be banned.

We do that, too, but as I recall this thread wasn't for discussing how TPM is moderated. However, your welcome to start another thread on that if you feel it is important for Comms.

6. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I have no problems with how TPM is run.

THis would work because
    It would allow members united on one aspect discuss others without the interuption of bashers.

7. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    As someone mentioned previously in this thread, flaming, trolling and spamming are the stuff that's not allowed. Those who do those stuff shold be banned, spanked, whatever it is the mods want to do. Other than that, anything goes if you ask me.

An exclusive gusher only forum...who not a bashing only forum? Why not both? And then, why not a spamming only forum...oh wait, 'Community' provides that, sorry :p

Next thing you know, one might even demand a "flaming only forum". Now that would be amusing. Why can't we just be grateful that the forums aren't aicn.com or something, full of $%$%^$ and #$@#%^&* and other colourful stuff, hmmm?

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    strilo said have to wonder about people who cannot stand to have their ideas challenged; people who don't like opposing opinions. I'm sorry, this is the way it is. We all have opinions. We all like and dislikes things. So long as posters here follow the T.O.S. they can discuss the things they don't like about Star Wars all they want.

I came here in July, '02, so I could discuss one of my favorite movie trilogies, the SW original trilogy. I was a little disappointed with TPM and somewhat disappointed with AOTC, particularly the love story, which I felt was a), non-existent; and b), happened too fast. I also discussed GL's apparent lack of directorial skills and an apparent inability to write good dialogue.

I was labeled a 'basher' by a group of 'gushers' who think the love story in AOTC is the greatest thing ever, to which opinion they are quite welcome. However, I was hounded for my criticism and eventually found my way into the Basher's sanctuary, where I am a frequent poster because I find the discussion there to be far more civil and interesting.

I am quite careful not to make personal attacks on GL or his adopted children. I still have a great deal of respect for his accomplishments with SW as a whole.

I have even posted in the TPMDF on the things that I like about TPM, and there are many, such as the queen's costumes and the cinematography, that I find wonderful.

However, I do not think that anyone has the right to say I am not a fan of SW because I criticize TPM or AOTC with what I feel are valid criticisms.

A separate 'private' forum for gushing simply would not work because the minute someone said anything negative, even to the slightest degree, that poster would be banned from the 'gushing' forum.

For an example of how your 'private gushing forum' would soon become, go here: anakin

Your fellow posters would soon be spending more time discussing the other posters, which is against the TOS, I might add, than discussing what they liked about the PT.

9. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I came here in July, '02, so I could discuss one of my favorite movie trilogies, the SW original trilogy.

And what of those people who came here hoping to discuss two of their favorite movies: TPM and AOTC, but instead saw a site full of bashers mocking their preference, questioning their intelligence, and telling them that they are in denial about how "bad" the prequels are? What of those people who try to counter the negativity with positive threads, only to see them derailed and ruined by bashers who, not content to have free reign over 99% of the board, have to inject their hatred into every little small haven the fans, or "gushers" if you prefer, have?

Not to mention, bashers are permitted to make personal comments about fans (i.e., calling them "homers," as in Homer Simpson, saying they don't know what a quality movie is and prefer style over substance, saying "You're amazing...you've actually managed to convince yourself that TPM was a good movie"), to start redundant threads, and blatantly flamebait. But fans have to watch their step. Heaven forbid that they get fed up with the negativity, which has been going on for five years with no sign of stopping, and which has begun to take over the Ep 3 board even though that movie hasn't been released yet.

Just be tolerant, fans keep getting told. Yet bashers can be as intolerant as they like. You're going to have to deal with the fact that many people don't like the prequels, fans keep getting told. Yet bashers have yet to deal with the fact that many people do like them.

I think a non-bashing forum would be a very good idea.

An exclusive gusher only forum...who not a bashing only forum?

Why would bashers need that? They have the Bashers Sanctuary, which is kind of superfluous, considering the whole message board is a de facto Bashers Sanctuary.

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi,

As founder of the second run of that thread, I find it offensive that you single out ONE post to make a generalisation about the whole thread. Contrary to what your example shows, the thread is more for discussing the apects of (what we consider) the depth of the much maligned Love story than for bashing other posters. Fair enough to admit, we do go off on our own tangents on occasion, but this is a mini communtiy that has been in existance for neary two years, of COURSE people are going to vent a little in the comfort of freinds. Currently, the hot debate is on the mythological aspects vs the 'real world' style of romance... kinda intersting.

Just my two bits.

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Shelley and DB,

You're both wrong, bashers do not have the run of 99% of the boards. And, bashers do not have free rein to discuss other posters. When they do, they get warned and banned. A few of the more egregious bashers have even been 'permbanned.'

The sort of personal attacks that Shelley has listed are against the TOS.

I respect your community, DB, and I respect your opinions on the love story, so I do not post in your thread, since you know I do not share your opinion.

If others do not share your opinion, ignore them. Focus on making a good argument in support of your opinion.

But, starting a 'gusher's only' forum would cause a lot of problems, because, as I shared in my previous post, one contrary opinion and the 'gusher' becomes a 'basher' and the gusher society would soon become limited to one or two select posters.

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
  13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    It would allow members united on one aspect discuss others without the interuption of bashers.

But what you fail to understand is that the PT fans are not united on the definition of bashing. As such, descension would come from within and cause a whole new split. I already gave one famous example of this, there are dozens.

And what of those people who came here hoping to discuss two of their favorite movies: TPM and AOTC, but instead saw a site full of bashers mocking their preference, questioning their intelligence, and telling them that they are in denial about how "bad" the prequels are?

Well, this is against the TOS. If you work with the forum moderators you can eliminate inappropriate expressions of certain views. I would caution against picking fights with these people, it will only make it worse. Get the mods involved.

Not to mention, bashers are permitted to make personal comments about fans (i.e., calling them "homers," as in Homer Simpson, saying they don't know what a quality movie is and prefer style over substance, saying "You're amazing...you've actually managed to convince yourself that TPM was a good movie"), to start redundant threads, and blatantly flamebait.

OK: a) I've honestly never heard the term "Homer" as related to SW fans of any varity. (b) I would ask you to post or PM links to the above instances so they can be dealt with. If they are not there or have indeed already been dealt with prior to your post, I would instead ask that you do not make unfair accusations about the administration, as it does not help any existing tensions between groups of fans.

14. Mc-Lan

Mc-Lan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2003
    I like Darth Seldons origanal idea. (I didn't read the rest)

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Lady-Sami:

For one thing, if you have an issue with something I've posted, you can PM me directly.

For another thing, if I go to my community to vent, it's because I'm sick and ****ing tired of being picked on by bashers and Anakin-haters in every movie thread I post in. I don't follow you into the Basher's Sanctuary, you could do me the same courtesy.

But no, God forbid that anyone on these boards actually not think Padme was nuts and what the Tuskens did was perfectly OK. [face_plain] I can't post anywhere on these boards without hearing about how Anakin is a "whiny brat baby-killer", Padme must be an "enabler" and have "lost her marbles", and how precious the sweet little Tusken children are. I've even heard people say that the Tusken adults aren't guilty and Shmi doesn't look like she was tortured. I've been told that I must have been staring at Hayden instead of watching the movie (as if my opinion weren't valid) and that I must be some sort of baby-killer myself. But if I vent, even tongue-in-cheek, I get accused of "attacking the poster"--as if telling me that I'm immoral and have no taste is not an attack. And if I report it as an attack, to certain mods anyway, I get accused of being "too sensitive". It's gotten really, really old.

I'm on your side based on whether or not a Gusher-Only private forum would be a good idea, but I don't appreciate being singled out. [face_plain]

16. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    The idea of a Non-Bashing Forum just does not work, sorry.

The idea that the Santuary is a basher only thread is wrong.

I have seen people who love TPM and AOTC defend those films very well with out blasting the other users in the thread. You know... the Bashers. I have seen the same thing in the Defence Force. Only the gushers are not being attacked.

Better posting is the answer, not a new forum.

Shelley:

Many of you're post on Mara have a lot of the same problems you pointed out. I have been attacked and have seen a lot of Mara fans attacked because, some Lit Fan dislike her. We all have the right to like or dislike a character, film, or effect. We can all debate these issues without flaming each other.

anakin_girl .

I will back you up on the point of the attackes on Anakin and Padme. I do agree with a lot of the negitive points but, I greatly disagree with the way many people have posted them.

By the way, She is still Senator Enabler in my eyes. 8-}

17. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    By the way, She is still Senator Enabler in my eyes.

Just gives me a way to pick on you in my parody, Fuzzy. ;)

18. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm sorry, but a gusher's only forum wouldn't work. Not without clear hard-lined definitions of what bashing is. One person's constructive criticism is another person's bashing. Many people think anyone with a contrary opinion is bashing. What if you like 5/6 films? 4/6? What if you like all the films, but despise a character? The answer is simply for the mods to continue to do their jobs. If you think someone is trolling or baiting, notify a mod. Otherwise, everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no forum in the world that could filter them out to everyone's satisfaction. Not unless you turn JCC into a police state.

L8r

19. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Here's just a recent example of the kind of asinine commentary that goes on all the time in 3SA. Posters like this one would not be allowed in a non-bashing forum:

I've edited out anything spoilerish. All of the threads were about a new character officially announced at Starwars.com and the front page of TF.N.

---------------------------------------------------
    Come on! Look, this has nothing to do with the darkside "clouding". Can we stop using that line as an excuse for every plot hole in the PT?? ...It's just another contradiction in the hole-filled PT.
    --
    Ha ha! LOL! Look at all of the ... peepz scrambling! Once again ...[the character]... has proven victorious. Now we know he is not only the greatest character to grace the screen in the PT (as opposed to the punk Terrell Owens, I mean Anakin Skywalker)...

How can you possibly argue against Luca$ himself...
    --
    Don't try and sell the ...[character]... short! ... He is the only hope for the weak PT.

All hail [the character]!
    --
    Luca$ calls ...[the character something]...

I don't think Luca$ was joking at all...

---------------------------------------------------

In case you didn't catch it, all of the "praise" for the character was facetious. It's time for a forum free of this nonsense.

20. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Personally I think all of TF.N should be free of crap like that, but I've fought that battle before and lost.

21. FuzzyRatt

May 16, 2003
    Darth_Zidious, I think that you made a good example of post that would not be allowed in a Gusher Only thread/forum.

Something like a Defence Force thread? :confused:

Bashing (if I am not mistaken) is trolling in a DF. The user can and should be warned and then banded if the trolling does not stop.

We have to many users with to many differant points of view to have a forum for gushing or bashing only.

22. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    Many of you are so sure it wouldn't work, which means there would be no harm in trying it. You would just be proven correct.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This is not an issue with the Anakin/Padmé Defenders thread. I don't appreciate it being singled out. This is not an issue with the TPM forum. The only issue I see here is that people need to do two things:

1. Grow some thicker skin. People are gonna disagree with you. They might not do it in the most loving and caring way possible. So long as they don't violate the TOS, deal with it. I have to, so does everyone else.

2. If someone does post something that does violate the TOS in your opinion, PM a mod. If you choose not to, you have no right to complain that the mods don't take action. We cannot see every little thing every single time.

If these two things are done, I see no reason for a forum like the one being suggested.

24. Darth_Zidious

Dec 3, 2001
    I have to, so does everyone else.

There's no reason for that. None.

What would be the harm in trying? Why so fearful of even making the effort? There is no reason not to try it.

25. FuzzyRatt

May 16, 2003
    Because there is no need.

If users follow the advice that Strilo gave above then the problems will be handled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.