main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Non-Bashing Star Wars Discussion Forum (an idea)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    What would be the harm in trying? Why so fearful of even making the effort? There is no reason not to try it.

Because if you want it and get and no one REALLY needs it, then there is going to be a parade of people wanting all kinds of stupid forums, and their logic will be "If you don't know it won't work/be popular why not try it?"

2. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    bashing is subjective.

3. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    ...then there is going to be a parade of people wanting all kinds of stupid...

We have a forum devoted to the Wizard's of the Coast Star Wars Trading Card Game.

4. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Truly as one said above bashing is subjective. One mans bashing is anothers healthy critisim. That is why an idea like this would NEVER work.

SHB JR

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    If the movie forums have a "Gusher only" forums, what about the EU then? Should another similar forum be made for that one? No criticism of Mara, no comments can be made about Zahn or Kevin J "Let me ruin Dune AND Star Wars" Anderson, no negative opinion on the NJO!

Oh yeah, sounds sooo exciting.

[face_plain]

6. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, this is against the TOS. If you work with the forum moderators you can eliminate inappropriate expressions of certain views. I would caution against picking fights with these people, it will only make it worse. Get the mods involved.

I did. I was either ignored or told to be tolerant, or told that what they said was perfectly okay. Meanwhile I was told to stay out of the Bashers Sanctuary because "posters there don't like me." Well, I don't like several bashers. Can I get them kicked out of threads?

The references to prequel fans as "homers" exist, and I did complain to the moderators about it, but nothing was done.

Fuzzy Ratt, I have not attacked a Mara fan on the boards, which is more than I can say for Mara fans and EU fans in general, both of whom have attacked me and others.

7. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    As wonderful as this sounds, it simply would not work. People are always going to have differing opinions, and creating a new forum cannot change that. What we can do however, is to make sure that these differences in opinions are debated and discussed in a civil manner amongst the existing boards.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I did. I was either ignored or told to be tolerant, or told that what they said was perfectly okay.

While all flames are rude, not all rudeness is a flame. If you insist on saying we allow bashers to say one thing, but not gushers, I'm going to have to ask for PPOR (links, not generic quotes, I want to go in and see the thread for myself and then deal with them if need be). Honestly, I'll ban anyone for violating the TOS just the same - basher, gusher, purist, EU fan, makes no difference. My first ban was a guy I actually like, but he flamed and got 24. Strilo's the same.

9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I was not singling out the 'defenders' thread, I merely used it as an example of what a 'gusher's only' thread can become because I am familiar with the thread and several of the posters.

If you read thru many of the pages of that thread, you will see that 50% of the posts are about drink recipes, Qui Gon Jinn brownies (Alice B. Toklas brownies), pool parties and other such off topic things, rather than the stated topic of the thread, which is to defend the Anakin/Padme love story.

I have no problem with that thread's existence, however, when it becomes a 'bash the basher's society' I have to draw the line, especially when threats of physical harm are made against the bashers.

Quite a while ago, a certain gusher's inability to spell was being questioned in the Sanctuary. The offending bashers were strongly warned not to discuss the poster! This was a far cry from what was going on in the defender's thread a short time ago.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Never mind.

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Shelley,

But that was an EU fan, right? ;)

I don't agree with that statement about Anakin and Padme and the kids being conceived that way, either. What a jerk!

12. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Never mind about the EU fan incident; I shouldn't have brought that up.

But yes, I think that the idea of Anakin raping Padmé and that's how the kids are conceived was inappropriate, and was intended to offend and flamebait. The person said it would've made for a better story, and his entire post was one long vicious slam of the prequels.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What woule be the point of a froum and discussion thread if it's devoid of critique, debate, etc.?

14. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Lady_Sami:

For someone who doesn't have a problem with our thread, you certainly do seem to waste a lot of time writing about it here.

Looks to me like you're trying to get us shut down.

If we want to discuss Qui-Gon brownies and drink recipes in there, what business is it of yours?

Or is it OK for you to go into the Bashers' Sanctuary because you think we gushers are picking on you, but it's not OK for us to escape being picked on by people who would prefer to say that Luke and Leia were conceived by rape and that Anakin makes Hannibal Lecter look like a gentleman? (And no, I am not making up either of those posts.)

I didn't see you drawing a line when Punisher threatened me in the Basher's Sanctuary. But I guess that was OK since he's a basher, right? [face_plain]

Our thread has just as much right to exist as yours, so get over yourself.

I don't agree with that statement about Anakin and Padme and the kids being conceived that way, either. What a jerk!

Interesting--if I recall correctly, part of the reason our sanctuary was formed was because you and one of our founders got in an argument over that very point--and you were saying that the kids were, in fact, conceived by rape. [face_plain]

And Stryphe, you weren't modding at the time and neither was strilo, but while I was treated well by certain bashers, namely you and FuzzyRatt, I have to back Shelley up here--I was told the same thing she was the first time I posted there. Someone complained about my posting in the Basher's Sanctuary because of posts I made on another site, and the threats that I referred to also were regarding those off-site posts. You want details, PM me.

15. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Agrees with ^^
    Wow... First you didn't come in the Defenders thread too often, did you? Because we do not talk about recipes. And even if we did, what's up?
    Is it a flaw to have off-topic discussions?
    I'd rather have this kind of talks on a boring day than listen to the some bashers' argument "Luca$ is a mean tyrant!" (I'm saying some even a tiny part but a part nonetheless)
    The bashers sanctuary exists and is sometimes disrepectful, while the Defenders thread has never been. Sure, there might be a few talks about bashers now and then, but really "gushers" have been far more mistreated by bashers than the other way around. That's the impression I have anyway...
    So I don't really know what your point is.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, I admit I have my hackles up, and this will be my last comment here.

I have no problem with that thread's existence, however, when it becomes a 'bash the basher's society' I have to draw the line, especially when threats of physical harm are made against the bashers.

You're really reaching here, there has been NO threats of real physical harm twords 'bashers' and by your post, you imply that the visitors to the thread are going to leave the sanctuary of posting on line and actually look for people in the real world. Sorry, not EVEN close and I resent these thinly veiled accusations.

If you read thru many of the pages of that thread, you will see that 50% of the posts are about drink recipes, Qui Gon Jinn brownies (Alice B. Toklas brownies), pool parties and other such off topic things, rather than the stated topic of the thread, which is to defend the Anakin/Padme love story.

50%?

No, again I find you are skewing the facts to suit your post and express your dislike for many of the people and their stand on things.

The Qui-gon Brownies are a joke that predate the thread itself (in either of it's incarnations) as do the referances to the Pool boy. What you've failed to note is a good many of the posters also write A/P centric love stories and the community has been together (especially the core group of posters) for nearly 2 years. I'm sure that in other such long running threads where there is a sense of comminity, off topic post are quite the norm.

Right, as I said, this is my last public post on this subject. If you still have issues, I suggest you take it to Strilo, who has already asked that this thread not be singled out.

17. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    No, again I find you are skewing the facts to suit your post and express your dislike for many of the people and their stand on things.

I see it the same way, Breezy. But of course you know we're wrong, because it's the bashers who were being picked on so much that they had to form a sanctuary where a known gusher even posting "Hi how are you?" in there was treated as a troll. [face_plain]

18. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    I have been posting in the Sanctuary for a while now and I've never seen a post about Anakin raping Padme. But that isn't the point of this thread. The point is to argue whether or not a Non-Bashing forum is a good idea, not discuss whether or not bashing is acceptable at TF.N.

19. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    a_g: I think you're making a generalization here. It's true that certain people might have not gotten banned even when you think they should have been, but I can assure you that it's not something that happens only in the movie forums. I might be what you might call Mara-basher, and I can tell you that I have the same grievances as you do. Mara-gushers don't get banned when they deserve it, we get unnecessarily spanked when we don't.

RE Anakin-Padme-rape-situation: I find it quite disgusting. Despite whatever faults Anakin has in his character, I don't think he would ever rape Padme. I would have seriously doubted the mental sanity of the person who posted that, too, except that I don't think there's anything wrong (aka, ban-worthy) with posting that kind of thing on the boards while you say why you think that's true. That's the poster's opinion and in no way is (s)he flaming anybody present (with the scenario, itself, that is). All (s)he's presenting is a scenario, and regardless of how utterly ridiculous that scenario is (in your mind AND my mind), that's still somebody's opinion and, IMHO, (s)he should be allowed to share it, right?

And just in case there are any illusions floating around - I lurked in the Sanctuary for a while now and I am confident in saying that MOST people don't seem to share that kind of a view.

-Aunecah

20. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Aunecah: They'd have to do some serious explaining of why they think that in order for me to buy it--most of what I've seen that goes along with such posts is "Padme would never date such a whiny brat baby-killer" and it looks like a post made specifically to piss people off. I mean, how do you argue with something like that?

"Anakin is a whiny brat baby-killer"
    "No he's not!"
    "Yes he is!"
    "No he's not!"
    "Yes he is!"

This isn't kindergarten. We're supposed to be having intelligent discussions and debates here, not name-calling arguments.

It's one thing to argue, "Anakin shouldn't have done X, Y, or Z" (or the same about any other character). That's something that can be discussed. Labelling is not something that invites discussion--it only invites cheers from those who agree with you and pisses off those that don't.

I was royally pissed when someone said in the AOTC forum that Shmi didn't look like she'd been tortured, just dehydrated, but at least it was a point that could be disputed.

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    a_g: They'd have to do some serious explaining of why they think that in order for me to buy it--most of what I've seen that goes along with such posts is "Padme would never date such a whiny brat baby-killer" and it looks like a post made specifically to piss people off. I mean, how do you argue with something like that?

I COMPLETELY understand how you feel because, believe me, I've been in your shoes more often than I want to be. I'm the kind of person who wants to have a dicussion, but most of the time the posts I get are like "MJ rocks, you guys suck."

However, regardless of how much I might dislike them for not contributing to the discussion any, I still don't think I can do anything about them (aka, get them banned) unless they posted that kind of garbage in a forum/thread that was clearly designed to foster serious discussion.

-Aunecah

22. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I would agree with you that it isn't bannable, because you can't ban the lack of ability to have a real conversation.

However, it does leave me further resenting the fact that someone is trying to get a thread that I consider my only escape from that garbage shut down. Everywhere else I go in the Movie Forums, I have to deal with people who have nothing better to do than bash a fictional character. I'm left with one thread where that isn't allowed, and because an Anakin-basher feels threatened by it, she's trying to get it shut down?

**** that. [face_plain]

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Here's an example, courtesy of anakin_girl, of the type of threats of physical violence against bashers I mentioned.

Wonder which Anakin-hater's mother I could send my husband's Apache relatives after...

This is not something to joke about.

On the same page in that thread, Darth_Breezy jokes about shooting an 'anakin-hater' three times.

Both of these ladies are city reps and should be above such irresponsible posting.

24. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    And again, since you have brilliant colors on your name and the mod powers that go with it, I suppose that's any of your business.

We will joke about anything we please unless a mod comes in and tells us not to. strilo has said what he was going to say to us in that thread--I respect his authority, but I'll be damned if I'm listening to you, and you will not get us shut down and I suggest you stop trying. What you are doing right now is trolling. strilo said that we shouldn't be singled out, so leave us the **** alone. :mad:

By the way--have you seen how sweet and nice your precious darling Anakin-haters have been?

Do you think I've forgotten about how you bragged about getting DarthBreezy banned because she told you how ridiculous your little "Anakin and Padme were conceived by rape" theory was?

But of course, since they're bashers and Anakin-haters, they're allowed to say whatever they want--just like you thought it was perfectly OK for Punisher to outright threaten me (not joke, mind you, but outright threaten) in your precious Bashers' Sanctuary because, of course, he's a basher and an Anakin-hater so he's always right.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    On the same page in that thread, Darth_Breezy jokes about shooting an 'anakin-hater' three times.

OK, I said no more but I am mortified by what you're implying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.