main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The North Korea Issue

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Ben_Skywalker, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    From the link, the guy who carried out the attempted coup was a hardliner who had been a vocal advocate of invading the South. I think we're lucky he didn't succeed.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, what VVM says. The only article specifically about it I've found is that intelnews.org one, plus one about a similar attempt in 1993 against Kim Jong-Il.

1993 coup

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    A coup will not work unless the general's name is Kim.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    That's one theory, but the Pentagon believes that they may actually have them, and even if they don't, that they will soon.

Either way, they'll be taking no chances.

Peace,

V-03

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What are you responding to?

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    My last post, I'm guessing.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    heels1785 and DarthBoba like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why? It's the second-largest state in the U.S. and one that a lot of non-Americans can name.

9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe Kim Jong-Un visited Austin as a kid and really hated it.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Dallas, Houston? No, they're going to go after the lovely ladies at UT Austin. Reason #5677 to hate Kim Jong Un.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus, maybe Kim Jung Un thinks there's a chance he can take out the Bushes, since they live in Texas.[face_dunno]

12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    He should just aim for Houston, nobody likes it anyway.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    What about Amos?

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    He can stay at my place

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Reminder to keep this to the North Korea discussion itself

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well one of NK's current dictator's targets is allegedly Austin, Texas. I'd say it's still within the realm of the discussion of North Korea.

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    One of his "targets".

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Can anyone explain what exactly North Korea hopes to gain (other than their own fiery death) with all these promises to kill millions of Americans very soon?

19. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    That level of thinking only works when you're dealing with a nation with a head of state that is at least marginally sane.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Bear in mind at all times that this is Kim Jong-un's first time in power as supreme commander of armed forces during joint US/SK military exercises, and that's traditionally when the DPRK starts strutting around boasting about how it's totally going to wipe South Korea off the map this time, because they are Best Korea, and also unicorns, and totally don't have a starving populace, et cetera. Most likely he's attempting to appear really tough to set a precedent for future military exercises.

That or Dennis Rodman beat him in a basketball game.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Probably to extract concessions of some sort. And to feel good about themselves.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    All originates from China, I believe. Attempting to draw us out into a position where we can be framed by their govt to their people as either too weak or warmongers, depending on the response.

I have no proof of this, of course. Just an opinion.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I get posturing and saber rattling; that happens. Just flat out saying that you are in the process of launching imminent nuclear attacks on America seems like a step or ten up the crazy ladder. I mean, once you say that . . . aren't you basically either counting down to your humiliating capitulation or your agonizing death?

Anybody read the Inspector O series? Four really wonderful novels about a cynical detective in North Korea; one of them is set during the big famine back in the nineties. They're just wonderfully dark and wonderfully paranoid and strange. Guy who wrote them was apparently some kind of official in North Korea for decades.

EDIT: Also, didn't China basically tell Kim Jong-Un to back it up a little after this last remark? Or is that just so they can appear to be reasonable? I dunno, it feels a little to me like NK is I suppose).

24. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    So....at what point do we need to start taking Kim Jong Un seriously? All this sabre-rattling seems to be him desperately trying to get people to take him seriously.

And I hope this isn't construed as any kind of racism....but is anyone else keep seeing Nien Nunb on every news broadcast?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Darth_Invidious and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think you're right. But I'm just paranoid/untrusting when it comes to that government. I'd imagine their private dealings are very different than what the world hears. Any situation in which the US is stressed benefits the Chinese.