main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Not-So-Special Editions Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ree Yees, Jun 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Hi. You may know me as either Ree Yees, that whining guys who hates everything and doesn't like anything about Star Wars and spends his time on the councils for other, less obvious reasons, or you may know me as Ree Yees, actually a nice guy with a whole lot of passion for Star Wars. Or you may, most likely, not know me at all.

For five years now, we have lived with the Special Editions. I remember when the news appeared in Star Wars Galaxy Magazine and the Insider (and other assorted litterature I like to read). I was pretty excited. After all, back then, George Lucas was still my hero of all times and he could do little wrong (although I had begun to realize that 'Jedi' wasn't as cool as the other two).

When the first pictures appeared, I was excited about the Death Star battle enhancements, but didn't quite understand the Jabba the Hutt stuff. First of all, I didn't understand why that scene had to be put back in, and I didn't understand how they could think they'd fool me into thinking that this was Jabba the Hutt.

The Special Editions hit the theatre. On premiere evening, I had tickets for the two first showings. As the "A long time ago..." logo appeared, I got tears in my eyes. This was STAR WARS, my number one passion. As VADER entered the Tantive IV, I smiled more happily than ever after.

Then came the changes.

And boy, did those changes blow goat. The Hutt scene is completely unnecessary. Han shooting first; pointless even to comment. And so on and so forth.

I don't know, maybe you people are sick of discussing the Special Editions, but I haven't really discussed them too much with likeminded people, who think

the Special Editions are as much, or even more, a ruin to the great STAR WARS saga as the prequel trilogy.

Please, if you love the Special Editions, find another thread. This thread is, for a lack of better words, a SE Basher thread. :)

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I completely disagree with all statements made :D

St

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    as do i.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I hate the ROTJ Jabba's Palace music video more than life itself.

5. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    LOL DarthMak. Were you sarcastic or not? I hate the dance scene, especially how Fett suddenly turns into a womanizer (okay, a little exaggaration there... hehe)

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The only way that the SE editions can be redeemed is if GL put the pre-SE OT on DVD. I know that he said he wouldn't. He really needs to take out that crappy Jabba's palace scene, Greedo shooting first, Luke screaming on the way down the shaft, and putting Jabba in ANH.

I still have the pre-SE OT on VCR tape and I would very unhappy if they go to waste.

7. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Like the Phantom Menace, I dislike the SE's more and more everytime I see them. When they first came out in 1997, overall I thought it was good. And I only watched them, no OT. This March, I finally watched the OT again, and it was so much better. Here's why:
    Jabba scene: bad CGI, pointless inclusion\

Han shooting first: terrible

Jedi Rocks: Okay, the song sucks. That's number one. Two, the original number did two things. One, it was good alien background. Secondly, it established and emphasized the sleazyness in jabba's palace. The new scene is the focus, and has bad CGI, and I think is just out of place in the movie.

Chopping up escape from Bespin: Boy, did that destroy the pacing of that scene. It's so pointless to show Vader's shuttle returning. Seriously, watch the two back to back, I don't know how you can think the SE is better.

Luke's scream: Why?

I do think the Death Star scenes are better.

I think the SE's were just a test run to see if GL could make the prequels. But as someone pointed out in the Basher's Sanctuary, the OT has a look to it, and the new scenes contradict that look.

8. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Agreed.

What the heck was he thinking when he added that scream to Luke Skywalker? WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

The scene was brilliant as it was - Luke's determination could easily be seen; he CHOSE to throw himself down the shaft.
    Even the music, which for a few seconds is inspired by CHIVALRY, illustrates the point. The entire scene illustrates the fact that LUKE SKYWALKER is going to sacrifice himself instead of giving in to LORD VADER's tempting offer.

But oh no, let's add a silly scream. ARGH.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    It's Lucas' vision. If he wants to add in a scream, he'll do it. Just enjoy the OT and be happy.

And like you wouldn't scream if you were plummeting to your death. ;)

St

10. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    ST-TPM. Now I know what they mean by trolling hehe. Notice the last line in the first post?

Please, if you love the Special Editions, find another thread

EDIT:
    By the way, how can you defend that scream? Don't you hear the chivalrous music? Don't you see Luke's determination? Don't you realize that Luke means to jump? Don't you hear that the scream doesn't sound good at all - doesn't sound Luke at all?

EDIT II:
    Lol, I'm contradicting myself

11. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Well, I never thought I'd say this, but I apologize. Not for loving the SE, but I missed your last statement in your first post.

*walks away* :cool:

EDIT: I prefer the original part of TESB when Luke falls, but the reason I defend Luke's scream in the SE is because it doesn't bother me like it bothers so many other people. I thought the original version was better, but I didn't hate the SE version, which is why I don't bash it.

ST

12. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Just for the record, I apologized to ST-TPM, I didn't mean to chase him away.

13. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Good thread, I'm surprised I haven't seen one of these before.

I mainly have mixed feelings about the SEs. Overall they're okay, but they are by no means an improvement on the originals. And for every one thing that I like about them there are at least two things that I think really hurt the films.

The first time I went to see the Special Edition of ANH was the last day I spent thinking George Lucas could do no wrong. I didn't really know what sort of changes had been made going in, but at the time it never occurred to me that Lucas would do anything less than improve the already wonderful trilogy. I was wrong. It started out alright, I thought some of the stuff was really cool. Full-motion Dewbacks? Nice. Mos Eisley? Pretty good, a little silly in spots but not enough to detract from the whole thing.

And then there was Han. I sat in the theatre knowing that I would never have the same level of respect and admiration for George Lucas again. And that was before TPM.

Too bad the SEs couldn't have been what everyone wanted them to be, but for me it was kind of a good thing. It renewed my respect for what the original movies had accomplished. The SEs may have sounded like a good idea, but they amounted to trying to fix something that wasn't broken. I only hope Lucas will come to his senses and allow the Original Editions to get the DVD treatment they deserve.

14. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I agree, Coop. Some stuff is cool while most of it is bad.

I admit I like the additions to the final battle in "Episode IV: A New Hope". Those X-Wings divin' down...it looked great for the most part, and it made me imagine the prequels with fantastic space battles. Uhm..

15. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Watching TNT (or SciFi, I can't remember) I saw ANH playing, and I figured, they don't play the Special Editions on Regular TV yet, and I'd be able to see the 'Han blowing away Greedo' scene. Wrong! I felt cheated! I'd like to make a Special Edition Edit, and just cut that scene in there.
    TheYodaPagoda

16. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    I am in total agreement with everything you posted, well almost everything. Yes Greedo shooting first sucks, as does the Jabba scene. Also the new approach shot up to Mos Eisley looked bad and the Jawas falling/droid hitting another droid is totally not needed. I did like the new death star explosion and the X-wings taking off to fight the death star. Most of my grief is with ANH. The ESB and ROTJ SE don't have as much unneeded extra scenes. Other bad additions were Vader saying "alert my star destroyer for my arrival", this was not needed, and Luke's scream after jumping off the balcony. The only thing about ROTJ that I didn't like was the scene with Boba flirting with the girl, totally not needed. I mean I could live with song but it could also be taken out and that would be just as good. After reading a lot of different threads in the last two months I've noticed that most of the younger fans like the SE and that the older fans [people who saw the OT in the theater the 1st time} like the OT just the way it is/was. Just an observation.

17. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I didn't like the way George RE-USED existing footage in "The Empire Strikes Back". Anyone with at least 1% brainpower can see that the footage is from "Return of the Jedi". Vader ain't entering no Executor, he's back on the Death Star, with Moff Jerjerodd and all. Argh that is frustrating and cheapens the films, and George's credibility. Seriously, if you made a worldwide successfull movie, would you re-use existing footage??? Also, in "AOTC", they actually dared to reuse bits from the TPM soundtrack. How lame is that?

18. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Another thing. It's been quite a few years since I saw the originals, and now I see people mentioning altered lines. Is this true? Are there lines in the SE that weren't in the original films? (Except for Vader's "Alert my Star Destroyer.." bullcrap)

19. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion... and everyones is going to be different, i happened to like the special editions... got a problem with that? oh well, tell it to someone who cares!

20. Paranorina

Paranorina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    "I care"

21. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I hate the Special Editions. I even hate the concept of the SEs. Lucas should never, ever have done this. They are finished movies; movies that had been finished for 15 years! Let them alone, Lucas! You're ruining them!

The only two changes that don't grate on my nerves are the new windows in Bespin and the new ending of ROTJ. But, given my presuppositions in my first paragraph, even these two changes should not have been made.

When I watch a movie made around 1980, I don't want to see CGI in it. It's anachronistic. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It blows the illusion of reality. It screams, "These are just movies that I'm modifying. Isn't it cool!" (No.)

22. TheLurkerII

TheLurkerII Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."

(hugs and kisses THX remastered sound OT)

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    the SE let Lucas put in things & change stuff that he couldn't do in the 70's & 80's. because of the limitation of special effects in that era, Lucas couldn't put his entre vision on screen. w/ the SE, he was finally able to do that, Lucas was never finished w/ the OT, he just waited until the technology was good enough.

24. Master_Vincent

Master_Vincent Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    I am not a purist so much that I believe he should have never done it....but if you're going to change them...CHANGE THEM! I felt that the SE were kind of half-assed. Like someone said before, the OT's have a certain look to them and to mix in a new look with an old look doesn't work. If the SE's must have been done they should have completely remade most of the shots and not been satisfied with a half-breed film.

25. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    I thought of two more reasons I don't like the SE's.

First, the older I get, the more and more the OT stands out way ahead of other movies in terms of story. It's just an awesome story, that happens to have really good SFX. What the SE's do is add nothing to the story, only more SE's, which in turn are distracting.

Secondly, the SE's marked the beginning of Star Wars not taking itself seriously. Slapstick crap like droids slapping each other, drooling musicians - not good. First, I find it hard to believe that is really funny to anyone but children. Secondly, perhaps unfortunately for certain movie makers, Star Wars has gained a huge following, and it's films that people take seriously. It should take itself seriously now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.