main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Novelization of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jul 27, 2014.

?

Will you read the novel before watching the movie?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

128 vote(s)
    64.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    My first experience with "Spoilers" was 1983 when I received my copy of "The Return of the Jedi Storybook" a few weeks before the movie came out. I had ordered it through my elementary school's book fair (When I ordered it months before, (It was still called Revenge of The Jedi when I ordered it, and several pictures when I got it still had Luke's saber as blue!!!!) I learned that Leia was Luke's sister, Han would be saved, and Vader would be unmasked before I saw the film. It was great, but also weird knowing what would happen beforehand. I was only 7.
    I don't believe the author has been announced yet, but I do believe that they surely have to be working on it by now.
    The books have always arrived at least a few weeks before the movie, plus time to print means whoever is writing it has to be finished a few months before the movie is released.
    There are always a few descrepencies due to the author only having access to the script, some stills, and scenes that are works in progress, but generally they have been pretty good about filling in some of the details and questions one has.
    Whoever is writing this novel has their work cut out for them... Not only do they have to tell the story half blind, this author will have to fill in (in condensed form) the last 30 years. Adding details and hooks that may be the basis for the new EU, and also hinting at what might still exist from the old EU... Some fans will be ecstatic, some will bemoan this as the most horrible thing they have gone through in there entire lives (and if Truce at Bakura is not mentioned then they will weep and cry that the new stories have ruined any joy lingering from childhood.
    Also, this is another potential leaky spot for the spoiler obsessed... Publishers, authors... All slightly outside the production's tent, but with tons of information and pictures being sent their way (almost entirely by email [nudge and wink hackers]).

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If it's written by Matthew Stover, hell yes.

RobShanti, Vastor, Redimet and 12 others like this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This may be less of an issue than it was in the past. I could be wrong, but my prediction is that the novels will no longer come out before the movies, going forward.

That said, I wouldn't read it first if it does, so I voted No.

4. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    I doubt I will read the novel but I am hoping for a script leak before the film's premiere. I would read that.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why is that? Abrams isn't directing episodes 8 and 9.

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I was spoiler free for all the previous films and will probably head over to NSA soon. So, no...I won't be reading it.

jaqen likes this.
  7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It's not just because of Abrams, it's just a hunch about how LFL and Disney will do this part going forward. I'm sure there will be tons of promotional stuff, and probably some kids books, but I just doubt novels with the full story in them will come out ahead. I could see them being released the same week as the movie, or the following week. Like I said, just a hunch.

8. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    On a related note, I wonder if SW will be released simultaneously in cinemas worldwide or be released in some markets ahead of others. (Star Trek into Darkness was released here in Australia about a week before it debuted in the US, causing some consternation amongst American Trekkies.)

9. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I will buy the book the day it comes out, but won't read it till my first viewing (probably start around 3am) after the midnight opening...

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Absolutely will not read the novel before the movie comes out......

TKT, DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Jcuk like this.
  11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They've said that December 18, 2015 is the worldwide release date, so hopefully they'll stick to that and be consistent in all markets. Of course, there will still be fans in California, for example, who are mad that fans in New Zealand got to December 18th before they did. :p

12. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Yeah its bs Hollywood keeps screwing us Americans Over. China is one thing...But Australia they are not a bigger market.

Yeah I dont see novels coming out before the movie. Maybe a Guidebook that provides some background info and some minor tie-in comics but I except more announcements for that stuff to follow the movie

13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Absolutely will not read any novel based on a movie, period.

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Yes, even if it comes out before the movie is in theaters. I'd read it right now if I could(but not through any illegal means).

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  15. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    For years I've actually wanted to read the movie novelizations for (what was then) the complete saga. I finally got around to doing that recently, starting with Episode I. I actually really enjoyed it! The extra background given was (usually) helpful, and most of the annoyances in the movie (Jar Jar and Anakin) didn't come across nearly as bad in print form. The author went a bit "Mary Sue" on Anakin at times, but that IS the point of his character, especially at that age.

Now I'm on Episode II, and I have to admit it's starting out slow. This is ironic since the movie starts off with a bang (literally). The worst part of the first book were the scenes with Shmi tediously thinking about Anakin, and the same is true with this one. The only portion of a script I've ever read was the Jedi Archives scene from Episode II. I'm hoping the full version is included in the book, since that includes some useful background on Dooku that didn't make the final cut for the movie. (It really would've strengthened his character if they had left that in, IMO.)

Eventually, I'll get to Episode IV, which I've heard is interesting because it was written when "Star Wars" (later ANH) was the only film, and many of the ideas were still up in the air. (To be fair, with GL the ideas weren't even settled when the movie came out in theaters; see Special Editions.)

I should be done with all six before Episode VII comes out; I'll read its novelization sometime after I've seen the movie.

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I accidentally voted yes. I meant no. I read TPM before seeing the movie. It didn't really have an impact either way, spoiler-wise. I definitely don't want to ruin E7.

Jcuk likes this.
  17. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I won't read it before watching the movie, but I definetly will right after the premiere.

And since the novelization for Episode III is a masterpiece, and I hope Stover will write Episode VII.

It's not worldwide. Unfortunately the release date for Poland is December 25, because distributors here believe that people don't watch movies before Christmas, and are more focused on shopping. Idiots.

I have no idea what I will do during this week. Or I will just fly to London to see it earlier.

ifleninwasawizard and Dak Oolron like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'll watch the movie first, and then immediately turn around and read the novel.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You had me at ordering it through the Weekly Reader.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The ROTS novel is by far the best. It's one of the best Star Wars novels I've ever read. The OT books aren't really that good, imo. Mainly for the reason you listed about incomplete ideas. If you don't mind that then I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

KSennia, Dranem, Redimet and 2 others like this.
  21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'll read it after I see the film.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh wow, OK... didn't realize that. Everything I'd seen so far just referenced the one date, and I could have sworn it was even called "worldwide" in some places. Thanks for the info.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Whether or not I would comes down to the author, not spoilers, which aren't an issue for me. If it's Stover or Disney pulls off something like a Michael Chabon-type writer doing it, then yeah, I would. Probably a very small chance of either of those happening, though, so most likely I won't be reading it at all. Going forward I think I'll limit myself to revisiting old favorites when it comes to prose Star Wars rather than jumping into the books in the new "canon."

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I will hold the novel in the movie theater and read each line real loud right before they say it on the screen. ;) [face_laugh]

But seriously, nah, I generally don't read the novels anyway, so I won't read Episode VII. What I do is I see it in the bookstore and think, "Oh this is cool." Then pick it up, look at it, and think "should I look at the last page?" Debate that for awhile, and usually put it back down.

Now as to the scripts...I bought the "Art of Star Wars" books for AOTC and ROTS, and they both contain the full screenplay in the back. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think those came out before the movies.

EDIT: I meant to ask - Why is the Stover Episode III novel considered so amazing? Just curious. I haven't read it but I might if it's really truly that good.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    For the prequels, I read the first chapter of each of them and then stopped myself until I had seen the films. Not sure why I stopped since I was spoiled rotten, but it felt like that one step too far.

I'm hoping to be far less spoiled for this one so I voted no. (but maybe I'll sneak and read the first chapter.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.