main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Novelization of Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Jul 27, 2014.

?

Will you read the novel before watching the movie?

1. Yes

72 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

128 vote(s)
    64.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not me. Not that I do want to know spoilers, but I'm holding off on any merchandise until I know I liked the film.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Never! [face_not_talking]

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    If I could I would but can't so won't.

4. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    What's the release date for the novelization?

5. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    December 18, 2015 for Kindle, Janurary 2016 for Hardover, I'm getting that too!

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If I find the book before I see the movie, I will read it.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I assume you're already aware of how badly written it's going to be. If it's like other movie novelizations or Star Wars fiction, reading it will be only slightly less painful than getting a Darth Maul tattoo on your face.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The ROTS book was better than the movie.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You haven't read ROTS have you? One of the best SW novels and novels ever period. It has to suck a lot and I mean a lot for me to hate it. I love most of the SW novels. The PT novels in general improve the movies. As does ROTJ.

NostalgiaFan, KDC1972 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's going to be available for download at midnight on December 18th but the Thursday night shows are on the 17th (usually 7 PM / 10 PM for Disney blockbusters.) You can't read it before the movie, Lucasfilm won't let you.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That I find easy to believe.

Now I wish I'd taken that approach.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That assumes that everyone will be in line for the movie.

13. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

I didn't read most of them but I did like the part in the episode 6 book about the emperor and Vader quizzing Luke about Yoda and if he was still alive or not and the emperor taunting him about being able to read his mind that Yoda was dead. I think I read that in the novel anyway and thought it might have been alright to include in the movie.

NostalgiaFan and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

Huh. That's a first for a Star Wars film novelization.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    MYSTERY BOX!!!!

16. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    The moment I get home from watching it twice in a row at the theater.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No, I will read it after I've seen the movie about a dozen times.

ROTS was a great book, many say the best book in the EU. I haven't read much in the EU honestly, but I really enjoyed that novel.

I read the ANH novel back in the day before ROTJ was a thought (and long before it was called ANH). I wish I would have saved that copy, as I'm sure they've removed this passage from the copies that are sold today. When Luke is going to swing across with Leia on the death star, she kisses him on the cheek for good luck. The book went into a description of how he was so very enthralled by the kiss, and how it made him tingle all over.....

[​IMG]

18. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You can eat the frosting first, then eat the cake. But would you rather eat the cake with the frosting?

I made the mistake of listening to the ROTS audiobook before seeing the film. Never again.

19. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I read the ROTS novel before the movie. Same for Ep I and Ep II. I get my spoils from the book. The movie, to me, is a visual adaptation, so there's another level of joy there. I mean, if you read the novel AFTER seeing the movie, would you not bother buying the DVD? I find each format has it's own blessings!

I agree with @GuardianSoulBlade that I'm going to wait until after the lines die down to watch the movie. Thanks for the info about release dates for the novel everyone!

20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I'll read the Wikipedia entry just before walking into the theater.

21. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    A book wouldn't spoil Star Wars for me. All the words in the world can't describe for a huge JW score or the combined talents of all the cast and crew that will bring it to life on the big screen. To me it's like saying the new Faith No More record is spoiled because you read the lyrics sheet first.

Release the novelization tomorrow I'd read it and not care.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I won't go near the book before I see the film. I remember reading both Da Vinci Code and Shutter Island and ended up being disappointed in the film adaptaions.

23. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Ah, but then perhaps the bad films would have spoiled the books for you!

24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I definitely won't read it first. Reading the book before seeing the movie is never a good idea for me.

The obvious reason is that it ruins the surprises. For me, a huge part of the fun of going to the movies (or even watching something on tv), is being at the edge of my seat. If I know every plot point and exactly how every situation will get resolved, it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

The other reason is that when I read a book first, I get certain images/expectations in my head, and when the movie doesn't line up with those images and expectations, it can sometimes be disappointing. Many, many years ago, for example, I read the Back To The Future novelization before going to see the movie, and I actually ended up feeling let down by the movie because it didn't quite line up with they way I'd envisioned it (also certain scenes weren't included, and the whole thing just seemed to have a bit less substance than it did as a novel.)

Of course, you may reasonably ask, "Then why the hell are you hanging out on a spoiler forum?" Well, I'm curious, but I'm also doing my best to stay away from major plot outlines, scene descriptions, etc.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.