main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Novels of William Shatner (AKA Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens): Now on ST: The Return

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Feel free to expand the thread to TekWar and things, but I just read The Return so I'll start here. For those of you who don't know, this is the second book in a trilogy that resurrected Kirk after the events of Star Trek: Generations.

My main question is this, does it count as a Mary Sue if you're writing the established character you played in the TV show/movies? Kirk is written as even more skilled and heroic than usual, which is saying a lot. I mean, the whole expert in Klingon martial arts thing really got me. The way stuff from throughout Trek history was tied together was neat, but I kept chuckling at how Kirk was written.

Does Shatner 'writing' Kirk count as a Mary Sue?

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Return was a fun book. I liked First Contact, but part of me would have liked to see The Return made into a movie instead.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Shatner did put more of an emphasis on Kirk's role in this entire series that wasn't there in the original series or the films. Though it should be remembered that the original series cast have mentioned over the years that Shatner has a bit of an ego, so it's not surprising that it carried over into the books. I wouldn't exactly call it a "Mary Sue". Rather it's Shatner taking some liberties with the character. When you read all nine books in this arc, you tend to see these things did lead to something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.