main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The NU Continuity Timeline/Source List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 28, 2014.

1. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    @TPF - I like that analogy and methodology with adaptations. Makes sense!

The Positive Fan likes this.
  2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    So I picked up the latest rebels comic yesterday. - The last of the slavers

the story concerns Sabine and we see her be transported to the planet Oon in the outer rim close to Lothal. it is ran by a cat like creature who brings in slaves from over the galaxy to help with her construction. Its classic SW story, Sabine is picked out as she is feisty and is her personal slave (sorry i'm writing this at work and forgot the cat leaders name!)

meanwhile on Lothal the others are all looking for her. Ezra finds her art spray and locked on them are the planets location so they set off in pursuit.

Back on Oon, Sabine through an act of defiance has started a rebellion. the slaves break free of their Battle Royale style electro neck collars and cause an uprising.

interesting is the weapons that are used by the guards look to be Lightwhips. I don't have any knowledge of the EU, but I do know they existed in them. from the art, this isn't a conventional whip. there is a hilt and a light beam then can come out of it like a sabre. Please correct me folks on this. I would assume a lightwhip has the same effect as a lightsabre and causing slashing etc. this whip is physical and can wrap around its target causing electrocution.

Anyway, Sabine leads her rebellion, cat women captured, see's the errors of her way. Ghost crew arrive. Kanan pissed for sabine running off. She says she had to and didn't want to endanger lives after the Kessell incident - suggesting it takes place really early on in season 1. (spark of rebellion).

Also when Kanan and crew were hunting Sabine on Lothal , Kanan makes a comment that all they were after were the latest imperial academy schedule list. more clues perhaps.

next story hints at a Zeb story.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I am about ready to finish up LOTS (just got about fifty pages left) and through the majority of the book I pictured it happening after Tarkin because I took the eight years after The Clone Wars ravaged the galaxy as meaning eight years after the war ended. But it does make sense though I guess that Lords of the Sith would take place prior to Tarkin because Vader is much more of his own person in Tarkin then he is in Lords of the Sith (where as in Lords of the Sith he is treated like a very young apprentice in many cases).

In anycase I hope in the future they start putting in the exact dates that the books take place (as I never even paid attention to the fact that Lords of the Sith is on top of Tarkin and therefore is meant to have happened prior to the events in Tarkin).

So I guess we can say that Lords of the Sith happens in 15 BBY while Tarkin happens in 14BBY?

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Another thing that seems to support LOTSs placement before Tarkin is the absence of Tarkin himself. Instead of being sent to Ryloth just like he was sent to Lothal in Rebels he is hiding in Sentinel Station building some space station, without really taking part in the political world of the Empire much.

5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Taalcon - unless you think otherwise, i would suggest the new rebels comic "return of the slavers" takes place before Breaking Ranks because of the suggestion in the comic to steal imperial recruits. could that have been the way Ezra gets into the academy???
    there's no other clues really, ezra's development (which has been the usual hint) is not involved and doesnt appear to has his lightsabre. Possibly before Learning Patience, but nothing concrete.

I also noted that Kallus' Hunt was not on the timetable. i think it takes place also just before Breaking Ranks as again at the end of that comic there is the suggestion that new recruits have just arrived.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

So Luke's only 18 at the time of ANH instead of 19? If they plan on having The Clone Wars last four years instead of three (to account for everything in TCW) that would make sense.

8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Last official note of Clone Wars time is in Kanan #1, where it's noted it was well over 3 years. But seemingly not quite 4. Unless the point is Kanan had lost track of time, knowing that it was at least over 3 years, but not having kept track of how much since then.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Ahh. So should we just assume what was written by this Korean Webcomic was a mistake that was not caught? We probably shouldn't change the nineteen year timeline between ROTS and ANH until people from the likes of Del Rey, Marvel, or LFL say it?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

It's also worth noting that these are just fan translations. Not saying they did it wrong, but I'd wait for an official English release to come out before giving it too much weight.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The original Korean version had Luke as eighteen years old for the events of Star Wars, too.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    There's reports breaking of a mobile game coming out soon called Star Wars: Uprising which follows campaigns in the Anoat sector beginning directly following the events of ROTJ. The website posting the annoucement has taken it down, but VERY interesting! starwars7news writes about the site and info they found - http://t.co/CcYhRm4Ysg

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    That post at starwars7news now appears to be gone as well. :(

14. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
  15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
  16. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Ugh. Seems way too early in this reboot to have grey areas in continuity.

Orman Tagge and spicer like this.
  17. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    This is exactly what I said. Nobody official ever said it was canon, and it was mentioned in a panel where it was explicitly noted Story Group also oversaw supplementary work for 'authenticity ' rather than canonicity.

It's a beautiful looking marketing tool thats an adaptation for another culture that isn't even officially in English. I'm not worried about your average fan being confused by this content. Those who even know about it and are savvy enough to find fan translations will already know better.

Let's put the pitchforks down, folks.

18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't remember picking up a pitchfork? In any event, according to the liveblog of the event the comment about "authenticity" was specifically in reference to a question about whether Star Tours was canonical. While Heddle probably never explicitly said "the Korean web comic is canon" in so many words, it seemed pretty clear to me as to where they stood at the time.

19. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    For me, im neither for or against it being canon or not. i would be nice with the dragon etc. What seems perhaps more worrying is that this would potentially be the start of the layered canon of the old EU?

Canon - approved by LSG
    Non Canon - not LSG approved (although there will not be legends banner (flight games etc.)

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    ....I thought having the Story Group would help with not having a "grey area"? And yeah, as my kind of scum said, it's too early for something like that anyway.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'd be more concerned about it if it were coming from a place like Marvel or Del Rey, or Lucasfilm. However as others have said it is coming from a Korean company and it might not even get an official release in English. Also as has been said above Luke was 18 in all previous Korean Star Wars stories as well.

22. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Truth be told, it's been implicit for a while now that something can be "approved" by the LSG without it necessarily becoming unambiguously "canon" (the LSG credit in the Fantasy Flight Games material comes to mind). This is only a confirmation of that.

The web comic is gorgeous, and its status as "grey area" canon shouldn't detract from it one bit. But I still think we could all benefit from a greater degree of clarity of what that "grey area" means if we're to think of things that are "canon" as being components of a single unified narrative.

spicer likes this.
  23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    i think you're right TPF, i think the problem with these comics is that it is the first "new" product published after the mouse canon changes that may not be canon. it was clear at the time, everything published moving forward would be canon. it could be argued that the old republic and flight games and others like the old SW UK comics were continuation of old EU products that were not finished and survived the mouse announcement and so dont count as "new".

whereas these korean comics are entirely new well within the new canon period.

24. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    She specifically said the grey area is for cultural differences. I don't if any content we've seen so far would be in that area, but presumably the Korean creators could change some things (like dialogue) to better relate to their intended audience. It's not a big deal.

Endol and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    yes, it would be nice to know exactly what they mean by cultural differences, but im inclined to be of the view that the actions we see in the comic of Luke in his early years with the Ben and dragon cameo is still canon.