main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The NU Continuity Timeline/Source List

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 28, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both ANH and ROTJ work for me. Going to be interesting to see what is picked.

purplerain likes this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I just think Palpatine's the kind of guy to create a whole new calendar just for himself. I mean, the Holonet calendar was originally meant to be the start of the Empire as well; they retconned it into being a "standard reformation" after the prequels came out and they realized it wasn't so accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Staplepuffs27

Staplepuffs27 Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    is the new Star Wars: Rebel Heist comic cannon? It was released after the announcement, so I'm not sure if it's considered Legends or not.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Legends I assume.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was announced pre-canon announcement and, unlike Maul, was not carried forward due to an association with TCW, etc.

So the Maul comic will be the only canon DHC SW comic, barring a ruling on the prequel adaptations.

purplerain likes this.
  6. Staplepuffs27

Apr 28, 2014
    Not much going for Rebel Heist then... kinda stuck in limbo right now.

7. Staplepuffs27

Apr 28, 2014
    I wonder how long Dark Horse will keep the Legends stories alive.

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd be interested in seeing the exact references used to make that Wookieepedia entry. (Wookieepedia is an invaluable resource, but it is not itself infallible, particularly when it comes to timeline minutia.) Any dates from The New Essential Chronology would've been invalidated by TCW anyway, since it came out before the show started and reflects the earlier version of the Clone Wars timeline.

If the issue needed to be forced, you're right, the Separatists could have deserted Iego prior to AOTC, but within the context of the series itself (and that is all we have to go on at this point), I think it's an indication that the war had been going on for at least that long.

Woah, now. The BBY system has been around for years, and it's been useful enough that it's even been used in-universe even when it didn't always make the most sense. Throwing it out would only make the story group's work harder.

TC

9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Good point. I wasn't really suggesting it, more so speculating. I think there are reasons they might consider switching. We've already seen them use Endor when referring to the date of the ST. I could see that staying, especially when they want to hype up the new movies. Despite this, I don't really care what they do; Yavin has been in use since I started with the Eu, so I'm use to that. I couldn't remember it being used in universe; that's really cool. Was it used in a novel? I only vaguely remember such a reference.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't be opposed to a return to the BBE/ABE dating- the only really useful element of the Yavin system is conveying the timespan of the OT and how far before the OT the prequels are (as opposed to how far before ROTJ the prequels are).

Plus, I'm used to it from it's older usage. If there was a time to change the system, however- the time would be now.

Until August when they stop publishing new material and presumably focus on a limited run of TPBs for the most recent titles before their license expires at the end of the year (plus some unidentified grace period).

11. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Is it confirmed that the Star Wars: Rebels tie-ins (like Ezra's Gamble)are canon? Because the Star Wars: The Clone Wars tie-ins are not (from what I know).

12. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Everything from Disney, everything from Marvel (2015 onward), everything from EA (2015 onward), everything from Del Rey (September 2014 onward), presumably any future DK books... All of that is canon. Everything BEFORE that, with the exception of Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (grandfathered in due to its being a The Clone Wars episode that wasn't completed before cancellation) is NOT. It is a super simple equation.

By the way, I finished Journeys: The Phantom Menace today, and the biggest piece of new information is saved for the very end.
    So we get a little glimpse at the situation on Lothal, the setting for the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels, during the time of The Phantom Menace. It was a nice surprise!

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    But isn't A New Dawn supposed to be the first canonical book?

14. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    From Del Rey, sure. The Rebels books are being published by Disney and DK.

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The Essential Chronology, I think, was the first "in universe" source to use it. I think Endor/ROTJ was used at least through SOTE on book previews and publicity material...it makes sense if you're thinking in terms of "How long has it been since we've seen Luke and co." or "How long has it been since the Empire was overthrown?" But I think the BBY dating caught on because it just makes mental sense to use the first film released as a reference point.

The ideal solution would be to come up with a calendar based on the founding of the Galactic Republic, since PE or BBY or whatever system can't be used in-universe in sources set before ANH or ROTS or the "Great Resycnchronization" or what have you. But then the numbers involved would just be huge, and there's the question of which incarnation of the Republic you'd want to use, and whether or not the New Canon will touch on pre-Republic sources...best not to reinvent the wheel at this point.

TC

16. Jake Prosser

Jake Prosser Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014
    If we're including Ezra's Gamble, then why exclude the other junior Rebels tie-ins? Just because they'll probably be adaptations of episodes and not include any new information doesn't make them any less canon, does it? The novelizations of the seven films are nothing but adaptations & don't include any new information, besides contradictory material which we're supposed to ignore anyway, but they're still being considered canon on this list. Plus, if everything moving forward is supposed to be official, how are we able to pick and choose what is and isn't canon?

17. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    We're not excluding them, we're just not mentioning them. Generally speaking, the junior novels like Ezra's Gamble are as "low" as serious discussion usually goes in terms of age range (although I'm sure we all have a special place in our hearts for Fuzzy as an Ewok). Beneath the junior novels you have chapterbooks, picture books, read-alongs, and other things meant for small children.

18. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014

19. Jake Prosser

Jake Prosser Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014

I guess that makes sense. So only the junior novels that cover new material, not seen on-screen, in the future will be mentioned here? What about other kid stuff, like the Yoda Lego Chronicles or whatever it's called. Obviously, that's not meant to be taken seriously, but "everything moving forward" is everything moving forward...

20. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    As for your first question: I can't speak for the person making the list, but I feel sure all the junior novels will be included as they're announced. Right now, Ezra's Gambit is the only traditional junior novel to be announced. For the stuff "beneath" junior novels that's been announced, I think it's more in the interest of space as well as maturity level that it is being omitted, since listing every single ancillary product would balloon the list to unmanageable proportions pretty damn quick. Although, maybe someone would want to make a catalog thread for all the early childhood products coming out. The parents on the board might appreciate it.

As for the second question, I think we're expected to use a certain basic level of critical thinking here. They may say "everything", but if a show involves a scene with Palpatine blasting the "Imperial March" out of a boombox while standing on his desk, I think the utter absurdity of the whole situation is an implicit "non-canon" sticker.

Pfluegermeister and Jake Prosser like this.
  21. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    Never mind.

22. DIrishB

DIrishB Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014
    For me personally, I'm not including the novelizations of the films or the adaptations of the Rebels episodes merely because much of the background material in the novelizations may be non-canon and requiring those sections to be ignored, which just compounds the confusion. The episode adaptations are unlikely to add anything new, especially since they're aimed at kids, and since we're getting those events covered in the episodes of Rebels anyway, I see no point in including two sources that cover the exact same events. Again, that's just my personal approach, and many will likely see reason to include the novelizations and episode adaptations.

23. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014

Del Rey confirmed that the film novelizations were, for the most part, canon. I would include them in my personal timeline just because they contain so much fundamental information for any future additions to the timeline (dates, descriptions of planets/ships, etc...) There are only a few places that they contradict the films, and it's likely that similar instances will occur all throughout the new canon. There may be a story group in place now to manage inconsistencies, but if this thing gets anywhere near as extensive as last time, it will be impossible to have everything align perfectly.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If the episode adaptations don't include new material/info beyond what's in the episodes (unlike the novelizations), there isn't a reason to include them- at the very least theres nothing lost by omitting them for the sake of not making the list more unwieldy than it needs to be.

In other words I'm operating under the assumption that we're more interested in what sources are establishing NU canon.

They're unlikely to adopt a calendar system that requires pre-existing in-universe knowledge to understand it - the "ideal solution" would function IU & OOU.

If casual viewers read that Episode VII is set 1,065 Years After the Founding of the Republic, it doesn't mean anything to them if they don't already know the IU date the Republic was founded or even the AFR date of the other movies.

But "30 years after Jedi" or "22 Years Before Yavin" at least has a function both in universe and to someone lacking IU reference.

Dr. Steve Brule and purplerain like this.
  25. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    But is there direct confirmation for the Rebels tie-ins to be canon? From what I know, it has only been directly confirmed that the canon is composed from the movies (Ep. I-IX + TCW movie & spin-offs), TV series (TCW, Rebels), comics (Darth Maul: SoD), novels (A New Dawn, Tarkin, Heir of the Jedi, Lords of the Sith), and video games (DICE's Battlefront, Visceral's game).

I'm being so cautious because the Rebels tie-ins are directed exclusively on kids, so maybe they won't be treated as serious stories.