main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I didn't see a clear thread on this yet so I thought I'd make one.

I think a LOT of people take for granted the "little things" that make a Star Wars film, a "Star Wars" film. Right now everyone is concentrating on what Disney will do with actors, writers, directors. They are wondering if there will be no EU, some EU, etc. That's all well and good, but I'm actually worried about the minor "nuances".

This is my initial list. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these nuances, being in or not in the new films. Also feel free to post any I might have missed.

The 20th Century Fox Fanfare
    Just think, from 1977 until 2005 we've always heard that fanfare before the films. We know this one is gone for sure. Nothing we can do about it. I know when the movie TCW was released, it felt weird to see the Warner Bros logo in the beginning. I personally didn't like it.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."
    This intro text I believe has to be there. It calms and quiets you down after the 20th Century Fox Fanfare, just before you get smacked by the STAR WARS and the blaring John Williams intro music! Of course, I think it should be mandatory.

Opening Theme
    John Williams opening theme is another must for ANY Star Wars movie to come. Even with other conductors or musicians, this should be mandatory. On a side note, Star Wars music is more than a nuance, so to discuss who should do the music for EPVII please use this thread: The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Opening Crawl
    I think almost everyone agrees on the opening crawl, including it's font style and it's 3 paragraph structure.

LACK of Opening Credits
    If you pay attention, Star Wars DOES NOT have opening credits. Meaning you don't see:
    PRODUCER NAME
    A FILM BY (DIRECTOR NAME)
    FEATURING (Featured actors)
    CASTING or CASTING BY
    Casting director
    MUSIC or MUSIC COMPOSED BY or ORIGINAL SCORE BY

Per wikipedia:
    George Lucas is credited with popularizing this with his Star Wars films which display only the film's title at the start. His decision to omit opening credits in his films Star Wars (1977) and The Empire Strikes Back (1980) led him to resign from the Directors Guild of America after being fined $250,000 for not crediting the director during the opening title sequence.

To me this is one of the important nuances I hope Disney keeps, however they are in the business to make money and paying fines isn't a way to make money. Before you just agree to having the credits BEFORE Star Wars, think about what GL was trying to accomplish: Star Wars is an epic movie, he didn't want to distract with credits, he wanted to roll right into the action.

Lucas Style Scene Wipes (Transitions)
    Another detail over looked by a lot of people is the Star Wars scene wipes. The transitions from scene to scene with diagonal wipes, center out wipes, arc wipes, side to side wipes. If you didn't notice go back and watch! Again, very Star Wars specific.

Minimal use of Slow Motion Effects
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of of the ESB scene with Luke fighting Vader in the Dagobah cave, and possibly a few scenes in ROTS around Order 66 there is almost no "slow motion" used. I'm specifically talking about Matrix and Michael Bay style slow motion action effects. They may work for other films, but I don't see fitting in Star Wars films.

Speed and Chase Sequences
    They don't exist per say in every Star Wars film, but given Lucas' "race car" background in his youth, he's added scenes throughout various Star Wars films:
    Trench Run (ANH)​
    Asteroid Chase (ESB)​
    Speeder Bikes (ROTJ)​
    Pod Race (TPM)​
    Coruscant City Chase (AOTC)​
    Jango Fett Chase (AOTC)​
    General Grevious Chase (ROTS)​

For Disney to keep with tradition, every Star Wars film needs a good chase.

R2D2 & C3PO
    With tradition, these droids are the only characters that are seen in all six films (& TCW) in their normal state. Of course if you count Anakin=Vader then he's in all the films, but he's essentially two different characters. Also if you count Obi-Wan's ghost, he is in all films. But like I said, as unaltered characters the droids HAVE to be in any future Star Wars films.

"I have a bad feeling about this"
    Every SW film has it. Needs to stay:

LACK of "Flashbacks"
    Lucas hasn't used "flashback" sequences in Star Wars. SW is very linear. If something from the past needs to be referenced, a character usually references it directly. Not to confuse "dream sequences" with "Flashbacks" which were introduced in ROTS.

LACK of Blonde Women in Star Wars Films
    LOL! Really? Didn't you notice? With the exception of "extras", there are no main female characters with blonde hair. With the exception of the waitress in Dex's dinners, I don't believe I've seen another blonde girl. Star Wars has always been about Brunettes and Redheads.

LACK of Females and Aliens in the Empire
    Excluding the EU, the Empire was mostly human males. Should they expand that and get a little more politically correct?

Ending John Williams Theme
    John Williams ending theme is another must for ANY Star Wars movie to come. Even with other conductors or musicians, this should be mandatory. Also keep in mind the John Williams closing theme blends into the rest of the music through the closing credits.On a side note, Star Wars music is more than a nuance, so to discuss who should do the music for EPVII please use this thread: The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Closing Credit Font and Color
    Much like the "A long time ago" classic font and color, the closing credits should be in the same format as it has been for all the Star Wars films.

Well, that's all I have for now. What little things did you notice are in every Star Wars film? Or in that case, what things are NOT in every Star Wars film? Do you care if Disney and the future creators honor these little details? Could you care less? Why or Why not?

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I didn't like the "wipes". I thought they were corny, unprofessional and unecessary. And they're not iconic. They shouldn't be missed.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think the Wipes may have been over used in the last one (as in too many complex wipes), but they do feel very Star Wars, so you can't lose them all IMO.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    That's quite a list there.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Agreed with the entire list, with the addition of one more: Clear-cut distictions between good and evil. Sure you may not know who the villain is for a while, but there is a VILLAIN who must be defeated by HEROES.

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I still think they are unprofessional and corny. Much of the Star Wars style has been copied by other films, but not the wipes. They kind of suck. I don't care how awesome Lucasfilm special effects are, they used potatoes for asteroids and iMovie transitions.

7. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    I never thought I'd see the day that people were anti-wipe on TFn...

8. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Then you are lost.

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Uh oh, I think I said something wrong...
    These are my honest opinions, however. You are free to your own.

10. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    Come on... the wipes are a trademake of star wars. And they're designed to be "corny," a further reflection of Star Wars "style" which is meant to recall the adventure films Lucas grew up on... They're part of the Star Wars charm.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Cool. But I still have personal aesthetic preferences. Just as I would have preferred Obi-Wan to have different hair in AotC.

Sarge and Darth-Seldon like this.
  12. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    All of the elements phatdude1138 has pointed out need to be kept, change whatever you want in the non-trilogy films, but you need to keep some consistency if these films are going to be Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. I'm not sure how the screen wipes are corny, but it's not up to me understand the opinions of others, just to accept them as such.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  13. GeneralCeel

Nov 4, 2005
    And what are those preferences? For Star Wars to look like every other movie?

Blip likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Artoo saving our heroes a** when their in dire circumstances. With the exception of ESB (I think) Artoo saves at least one character from harm.

15. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    R2 has a heroic moment in every film

16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    We need lightsaber duels!! So far, there's been one in every single film. They need not be the climax (the duel in in ANH wasn't), but we still need them. Preferably lots of them!

J_Girl likes this.
  17. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    This is a good one! I will add it to the list above.

And yes, at the end of ESB, he reactivated the hyperdrive allowing the Falcon to escape Vaders pursuit.

J_Girl and Blip like this.
  18. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    R2, 100+ years later, no slowing down and with as much attitude as ever.

J_Girl, Episode Swag and phatdude1138 like this.
  19. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Good point. I don't know about all out duels, because at the end of ROTJ the only one left who can use a lightsaber is Luke, everyone else is dead. Granted, depending on the time frame of EPVII there will probably be more Jedi, but without Sith or someone with another lightsaber to fight, a duel might be hard. But I agree, lightsabers should be added to the list and appear in every film.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    How could I have ever forgotten that![face_dunno]

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Actually Artoo was set to save everyone by getting the blast doors open at the shield bunker but got shorted out by a laser blast. So he never had his hero moment in RotJ. I don't count launching Luke's lightsaber to him either as that was just a plan by Luke in the first place.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  22. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    DUDE
    He doesn't like the wipes. Get over it.

23. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    It doesn't look like I have access to edit my original thread. Anyhow, I'm going to list these:

R2D2 Saving Our Heroes Each Film:
    Repairs ship during the escape of the Naboo blockade (TPM)
    Saves Padme in droid factory on Geonosis (AOTC)
    Helps Obi-Wan and Anakin in the rescue attempt of the Chancellor (ROTS)
    Shutdown all the trash compactors on the detention level (ANH)
    Reactivates the hyperdrive allowing the Falcon to escape Vaders pursuit (ESB)
    Gives Luke his lightsaber at the Sarlacc pit battle (ROTJ)

LIghtsaber Duels
    Qui-Gon vs Maul | Obi-Wan vs Maul (TPM)
    Dooku vs Obi-Wan & Anakin | Dooku vs Yoda (AOTC)
    Anakin vs Dooku | Obi-Wan vs Grevious | Windu vs Sidious| Obi-Wan vs Anakin | Yoda vs Sidious (ROTS)
    Vader vs Obi-Wan (ANH)
    Luke vs Vader (ESB)
    Luke vs Vader (ROTJ)

24. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I counted the lightsaber launch. You are correct, it was a weak moment, but he had to get in position otherwise Luke was toast.. Also we could count that he saved C3PO from Salacious Crumb when he was tearing out his eyes. He also cut Leia's chains to free her. We got to give the overweight glob of grease one of those as a save!!

25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No matter how you slice it though, Artoo's saving in RotJ wasn't quite up to par as it was in every other film. He needs a bigger save in the next one to make up for it!