main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Or those sterile Death Stars and Star Destroyers. Or those nice rebel frigates and the mop 'n' glo clean of Ackbar's bridge.

2. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    "I Love You"/"I Know"
    "This is where the fun begins"
    "I have a bad feeling about this"
    "May the force be with you"
    "NOOOOOO!"

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I was just talking to a friend the other day about "slang and sayings" by decade. Every decade had it's own way of talking and I realized (especially in ANH) the 70s really shown through. Han calling Luke "Kid" and Leia "Sister" really worked well. Also technical terms of the times like "data tapes". It wasn't even just the movies that did this, but in the EU. For instance you can just tell by the way the author wrote "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" (1978), that it was total 70s. Then in the early 90s EU "discs" got big. THen in the last 5 years the EU really went Data"Pad" crazy (tablets).

I think it would be awesome if EP7 stuck with slang and terminology of the 70s.

4. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    That was an epic 20 page read big thumbs up to this thread and to phatdude1138 in particular!

phatdude1138 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Actually datapads have been around in the EU since 1991. You are correct, however, that it is in more recent years that they've taken on the physical appearance of tablets or at least tablet-like devices. If you look at a datapad that appeared in TPM, it appeared somewhat like a Gameboy or something like that.

[​IMG]

Then later on, in TCW, by 2010 they appeared as more tablet-like devices, but they still had buttons not on the screen. But of course, those are Clone Wars-era datapads.

[​IMG]

Finally, if you look in the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology, which ironically was published back in 2004, you see a datapad in the Galactic Civil War (or even later) era, which would be more advanced than the Clone Wars-era 'pads, which does appear to be basically a tablet.

[​IMG]

There is a similar advancement with comlinks (cell phones, I guess). In ANH, the comlink was basically a microphone in design and function.

[​IMG]

By TPM, the comlink was more like a '90s style cell phone, in that it had what appeared to be a touch pad and speaker, but no screen.

[​IMG]

Finally, by modern-day EU, even though there are no visual representations of the comlinks in those stories, there are references to Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo and other characters sending text messages through their comlinks. So, yes, technology does seem to advance in SW based on what we see in real life–ironic, considering that the more advanced comlinks appear in TPM, 32 years pre-ANH, and in ANH you have basically a microphone.

I don't know that I'd want to go back to '70s-style lingo or technology, but I certainly don't want modern-day slang in SW. I don't want to hear anyone say "totes hilar" or "cray-cray" or anything that modern teenagers are saying. And I'd probably facepalm if anyone said "homeboy" or "homie" or anything like that. "Bro" would be cringe-worthy but somewhat acceptable. So in that regard, just stick to "kid" and "sister," I guess. :p

thebadge likes this.
  6. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah, it's tough to explain, but even in ANH it's not like George had them saying "groovy" or things that blatant, but almost like a "dialect". However I'm not sure where "WIZARD!" Came from in TPM! I knew a few Canadian people in the 90s that said "wizard", but that was about it.

I like that at the end of ROTS the Corvette crew had 70s style hair to tie in to ANH:
    [​IMG]

So I'm wondering if the 80s hair of ROTJ will tie into EP7?

Revanfan1 and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well there was a 20 year in universe gap between the PT and the OT. Now we have a 30 year gap between the OT and the ST. I don't know if the hairstyles will stay in(Leia's definitely will) but JJ seems to draw a lot of inspiration from the OT.

8. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it would be great if they worked that into the sequels some place. really subtle in the background.

10. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    If they do, it will be extremely difficult for me to not shout out "Hell Yeah!" in the theater.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

funnily enough i never noticed the head bumping trooper until i heard about it even though i watched the films about a billion times.

12. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Ha, most were hilarious in their responses, but I'll have to say Dre--- had the best. I would agree with this plus have the Jedi always at the forefront with and evil enemy (dark jedi/Sith) ; plenty of ships fighting in space, new/cool characters with awesome outfits/gear, and Daisy Ridley in metal or any bikini lol

1) Essential or "mythological" human desires in a struggle against powerful forces like Empires or Evil
    2) Faith vs. science; sorcery vs. technology
    3) Alien frontiers
    4) Dramatic action packed with meaning because we care about the characters: authentic, exciting drama > mindless action
    5) A sense of mystery
    6) Pulp-pastiche goodness: trash made into art
    7) Believable FX
    8) Humor and wit > cuteness or silliness
    9) A sense of danger
    10) Sabers and blasters

13. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Great Episode 7 thread!

14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    A director
    A script
    A cast
    A studio
    A score
    A scroll
    A projector
    A audience

15. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Chewbacca. I always felt that something was missing in the prequels when he wasn't there to chime in with an emotive growl/roar. He added so much unspoken emotion to the original films, especially in Empire. I mean, yeah, he was in Episode III but didn't have much screen time and felt kind of shoehorned in there.

16. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Obi wan kenobi training a skywalker and either lying to them or failing them..I kid I kid I don't know a protagonist with the odds against them using the force as there ally to defeat an evil antoginist whil making friends along the way. Or the PT approach which is a green screen and an mediocore script. Thank the high power for John Williams!

17. Tauntauns Smell Bad

Tauntauns Smell Bad Jedi Padawan

Jul 4, 2014
    Womp rats and T-16s

18. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Looking at your Avatar... how could you forget Tauntauns!?!

19. Tugann_An_Solas

Tugann_An_Solas Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    Max Rebo, lots of Max Rebo!

20. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    what i like about star wars is always that its something completely new and crafted and im bound to hear/see new things as opposed to the usual hollywood movie. even as a kid i knew going in to the OT i was sitting down to be dazzled by new stuff every time. and i have to give props to the first 3/4 of AOTC, the sound effects and scenes brought me back and wowed me like when i was a kid. i feel like giant armies battling it out has been overdone since the dawn of cgi going back to mummy movies/scorpion king that do NOTHING for me as a moviegoer, but crafting new sound effects and awesome costumes are always going to be a hit.

swcolts1277 likes this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well actually V and VI are far closer to in many ways to I, II and III than any of those 5 are compared to IV.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep. Nailed it.

Darth PJ likes this.
  23. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    Good characters, attractive aesthetics, a sense of mystery, a John Williams soundtrack, and most importantly...the opening crawl.

24. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Gravy. Everything is better with gravy.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013