main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The nuances / ingredients that make a Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by phatdude1138, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Cool suits. Cool spaceships. Cool weapons. Cool planets.

And with cool suits, I don't mean Jedi robes. I've seen enough Jedi robes to last ten trilogies.
    And I think any movie frame or movie poster with more than two lightsabers in it is overdone.

Also, the OT did fine without a mention of the Sith, they should try that again. If there's one thing that annoyed me most about the EU, it's the hordes of Sith popping up after their epic destruction.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow you really nailed it. Hope the future director understands this.

And the mods let you post *********"??? Impressive, most impressive!

*no we didn't, and you have to star out the whole word

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Speaking of posters, they have to get Drew Struzan to draw the poster.

4. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012

5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    1. An idea from the brain of George Lucas.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes, that is a great list, but it would be possible to have a great movie with all these elements that would not be a Star Wars movie. I'm looking for a core list of must-have iconic concepts that will identify a movie as a Star Wars film and can't be thrown out in designing a new Star Wars trilogy. The 2:35.1 anamorphic frame is probably one of those, as are the color palette, sound design, and visual effects. They're necessary, but not sufficient.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The dichotomy between good and evil and the classic storyline of the child atoning for the sins of his / her parent(s)

8. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Whoa! This is very good, you nailed it!
    [face_hypnotized]

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, then, might I suggest the following:

1. As mentioned, some mechanization of war or interplanetary conflict, no matter how humble a beginning. This is, after all, a Star Wars movie.
    2. A fringe protagonist of one degree or another.
    3. A central, political protagonist of one degree or another.
    4. Quirky sidekicks or tagalongs.
    5. An ensemble cast of good guy characters overall, even when accounting for a main hero.
    6. An assortment of fully animated (not necessarily digital, but lively) bit players, shady or expository, both alien and droid.
    7. Monsters. Not a lot, but at least one or two per movie.
    8. A vintage, celebratory, cliffhanger set-piece, i.e. trash compactor, droid factory ...that sorta thing.
    9. Bargaining, threatening or an ultimatum of one kind or another.
    10. A droid (preferably R2D2) accessing a computer terminal or security door.
    11. Hologram messages.
    12. The starfighter cockpit shot.
    13. The Wilhelm scream.
    14. Kurosawa screen wipes.
    15. A PG rating. Yeah, Episode III got away with a PG-13, but that was a justifiable exception. For Disney's first outing, anyways, I don't think any excessive violence or disturbing imagery (beyond charred skeletons) will be needed.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd agree the screen wipes, starfighter cockpit shots and droids are non-negotiable.

Sith_Knight087 likes this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Jar Jar. Lots of Jar Jar.

12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I realized watching PT this weekend on Spike TV that the "sound effects" are a very big part of all the films. I'm not talking about the obvious ones like lightsabers igniting, but subtle sound effects like doors opening, alarm klaxons, droid motors. My guess is all these sound effects will be in the new movies. I definitely think they would be missed if they were absent.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I can't believe people care about the Fox logo, seriously?

14. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Great stories with bad dialogue.

15. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Yup yup!! Growing up in my house as a kid, whenever you heard the Fox Fanfare you knew Star Wars was coming on. It's like pavlov's dogs, salivating at just hearing it. The worst is was when it wasn't SW, just another "20th Century Fox" movie, you felt jipped. When you've watched these films in the triple digits, it's ingrained in your head. It's hard to imagine another "theme" being played before SW. It's not a make or break for me, but it will definitely be missed.

16. Watcher07

Watcher07 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    Totally agree with you there. I will miss that when Ep VII come out in theaters.

17. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    AOTC Obi always reminds me of Noel Edmonds for some reason...

Darth_Cornish likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    1.Stars
    2.Wars

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Too good. No room to really add anything. LOL

Wow. Talk abot nit-picky -- hating on the wipes. LOL Nothing about them in "unprofessional." They are iconic and get used to them because they'll be in the ST. Guaranteed! if for no other reason than continuity.

DarthKreVass and LawJedi like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just preparing myself to lose all of it, even John Williams. These films have the potential to be very different from previous Star Wars movies. I'll miss the trademark stuff if they don't use it, but I want to give these new movies a fair chance.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Losing John Williams would be a huge loss. What I'm hoping is that Disney decides to shoot all 3 movies simultaneously (as posted in another thread.) That way JW could score this trilogy. Then if Disney decides to start another series, say during the Old Republic, they could start fresh with a new composer.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm in total agreement with you. Just trying to plan for the worst in case they don't do that.

Original Oatmeal and Echo-07 like this.
  23. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    I can't be certain, but I know the opening theme (and ending theme) should be there. Those themes are too iconic and are part of the "brand" that Disney bought. I don't see them NOT using them. TCW music (used during the episodes) has grown on me and it's not too bad. However if you watch a OT/PT film right after you can tell that JW is much beter and more technical. My guess though is if TCW can get close (and they do a good job) a professional movie project would have to do as well. Also the video games do well too. I've never been disappointed with a Star Wars video game's music. Granted a lot of it is reused, chopped up JW music, but it's pretty good.

Related to "nuances", I just remembered another, small tidbit:

All music scores lack "English" lyrics. The Duel of the Fates, Vader vs Luke in ROTJ, even "Jedi Rocks" performed in Jabba's Palace was in Huttese. I hope that is kept intact. I know Celine Dion singing the Titanic theme was good for that film, but I definitely don't want music lyrics in English in Star Wars.

Which leads me to another nuance:

Lack of "English" writing (with the exception of numbers) in film. All text should be in aurebesh. Even Lucas re-did the word "Power" on the tractor beam control panel to be the proper aurebesh lettering in ANH.

Episode Swag, Zeta1127 and Echo-07 like this.
  24. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I find it preposterous that the Wilhelm Scream has not been mentioned yet. Shame on you! ;)
    It has been used in many many films, but it is most known for being in Star Wars. It has also been in several Star Wars video games.

The main characters have always been young people being caught up and swept away in major galactic events. They are tempted and tested, but in the end they triumph because they are true of heart.
    If there is no clear protagonist that you can feel for, if there is no hero's journey (even if the hero fails ...), then it is not a Star Wars movie.

Star Wars is also not a Hollywood production. It is always shot elsewhere. Four out of six movies have been shot at Elstree Studios in England, with mostly British actors and extras, with British accents. Don't think that this is not significant.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Cutting-edge F/X, bad jokes, weird hairstyles, and glowing swords.

Zeta1127 and KevinM1 like this.