main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Obi Wan & Anakin Trilogy...what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CoolyFett, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Yoda_of_Soda

Yoda_of_Soda Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    Well we all got something different out of that fantastic movie. :-D

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Which was...?

3. Yoda_of_Soda

Yoda_of_Soda Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    That Anakin was not selfish in his action!!!!!

4. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    In my world, when a person is willing to anything to gain that which he/she desires, that person is selfish.

Anakin was willing to slaughter innocent, defenceless children to gain the thing he desired the most: the power to save Padmé. Anakin may tell Padmé that he is doing it for her but if that was the truth he would have asked her what she wanted. Therefore his actions were based solely on what he wanted – not what Padmé may have wanted – thus making his actions selfish.

ILNP, Veloz, PiettsHat and 3 others like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're going in circles here. My question was, what is your reasoning for thinking that Padme would do the same thing Anakin did in ROTS? Your answer was, "That's what I saw and felt in the movie." My response to that was, "What would that be?" IOW, "What did you see and feel in the movie that made you think that Padme would do the same thing that Anakin did?" Your answer was that Anakin was not selfish.

OK. What are you basing this on? I have no idea "what you saw and felt in the movie" because I'm not inside your head.

And FARK2005, exactly.

I feel for Anakin in his desperation and his fear that was so overwhelming that it drove him to irrationality (and IMO insanity) but I can't see any possible way to label his actions "unselfish."

6. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Also, if Leia had remembered someone else as her "real mother", wouldn't she have registered some surprise at hearing that she's Luke's sister and Darth Vader's daughter? Yet, all she says is: "I know. Somehow, I've always known".

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Padme did not seem that particularly concerned about the Tuskens' fate at Anakin's hands. And remember . . . she was probably more appalled by Shmi's fate - one month of torture and then death.

Of course, why would anyone view Padme as ideal? She has never been ideal throughout the PT. And she has made a bad decision out of anger. Look at what happened to Chancellor Valorum.

Exactly what do you mean by this?

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Finding out you're adopted would be, I imagine, a surprise. Already knowing that you were adopted, and then finding out that there is a second "layer" of adoption (you were adopted twice in succession, by different people), would also be a surprise, don't you think?

9. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Obi- wan went wrong the day he insisted upon training the chosen as a wet behind the ears 25 yo that knew nothing of children esp angry hurt ones like Anakin, the eqivalent of the Jedi Christ, oh no the council wasn't remiss at allllll.......

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

What second layer of adoption? Leia was adopted by the Organas. She apparently knew this by ROTS. All she had discovered was the identity of her biological father.