PT The Obi-Wan/Padme deleted scene: A potential high-point of ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by drg4, Feb 14, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect Force Ghost

star 4
    Frankly I think that deleting the Padme/Obi-Wan scene is a plus for the film. By its absence, it puts you more into Anakin's shoes as his paranoia starts to grow. If it was there in the film, we'd see it's just a nice, innocent little moment between friends. We'd know that Anakin is starting to get suspicious and slipping into the dark side. But without seeing it, we're more in the dark like him.
  2. CaptainRegor Jedi Master

star 2
    That's a good point!
  3. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    That's a very articulate defence.

That's also true: we're placed more in Anakin's frame.

I suppose this is where, why, and how the picture sort of transformed into "Anakin's" movie in the editing process, becoming structured more around his POV and his struggles.

Just as Anakin blocks out help from those who might be trying to help -- in the spirit of: "those who cannot be counselled cannot be helped" -- so, too, do his story needs supercede and efface those of even the people his character is closest to and putatively "loves".

This is his tragedy, his movie, his hour to shine; and to fall.
    SithStarSlayer and lbr789 like this.
  4. only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 3

I see where you are coming from but.... I don't think one could ever really get into the head of Anakin at this time. I don't think you can identify with him as he descends into that sort of madness (evil). I would argue that knowing that others around him are thinking of him, caring about what was happening to him would add to the tragedy of his paranoia, a paranoia fed by Sidious because he cares only for what Anakin can be for him. I don't, personally, think that being ambiguous about how mistaken and misled he was about the reality of his situation adds anything to the film or the saga. The only thing it 'adds' is the ability to question whether he was all that wrong.
    FARK2005, ILNP, bibfortuitous and 4 others like this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd